Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.
Closed Thread

Old 26-08-2012, 19:50   #1111
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Another thing to consider about SKY Atlantic is how many Virgin customers would actually watch the programming?

Many of the shows on SKY Atlantic would be brand new to Virgin customers. The big problem however is the likes of Blue Bloods, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and The Borgias are already well into season 2, or season 3 will be starting soon. No Virgin customer is likely to jump on these shows, or any of the other SKY Atlantic exclusive shows, as they've simply missed too many episodes to embrace the programme.
Not ideal I know, but I first started watching Alias at season 3 and 24 at season 4. I caught up by buying the DVDs of previous seasons. But I think there would be less need to do that now as, as MM says, channels tend to repeat previous seasons more often now, and Sky Anytime is also a source of previous seasons. I would hate VM to put an aquisition of Atlantic for those reasons (as if that's anywhere close to the real reason )
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2012, 20:03   #1112
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I would hate VM to put an aquisition of Atlantic for those reasons (as if that's anywhere close to the real reason )
I'll tell you what, if Virgin visited this thread they'd think SKY Atlantic stinks and very little of their own customers would actually watch it. We are giving Virgin plenty of reasons why they shouldn't bother adding the channel. We've done a grand job highlighting all of the channels weaknesses.

Seriously if Borgias had 243k viewers, the Newsroom 141k viewers, and Alan Partridge had 131k viewers how many viewers would they have got on Virgin? Virgin only have 4 millions TV subscribers compared to SKY's 10.3 million. So on Virgin Borgias might have got 97k viewers, the Newsroom 56k viewers and Alan Partridge 52k viewers.

Why would Virgin even bother to add the channel? These figures are terrible. Alan Partridge 52k viewers, that's almost the same amount of people turning up at Ibrox these days to watch Rangers in the Scottish 3rd divison!
Old 26-08-2012, 20:26   #1113
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'll tell you what, if Virgin visited this thread they'd think SKY Atlantic stinks and very little of their own customers would actually watch it. We are giving Virgin plenty of reasons why they shouldn't bother adding the channel. We've done a grand job highlighting all of the channels weaknesses.

Seriously if Borgias had 243k viewers, the Newsroom 141k viewers, and Alan Partridge had 131k viewers how many viewers would they have got on Virgin? Virgin only have 4 millions TV subscribers compared to SKY's 10.3 million. So on Virgin Borgias might have got 97k viewers, the Newsroom 56k viewers and Alan Partridge 52k viewers.

Why would Virgin even bother to add the channel? These figures are terrible. Alan Partridge 52k viewers, that's almost the same amount of people turning up at Ibrox these days to watch Rangers in the Scottish 3rd divison!
Because of the above, we have to hope that VM want a reputation as a quality TV provider and are prepared to include channels like Atlantic. We all know that millions of viewers for a show does not neccesarily mean quality. Quality shows often get small viewing figures.
Old 26-08-2012, 21:03   #1114
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

What do The new Rangers have to do with how many viewers SA gets???
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 26-08-2012, 21:16   #1115
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
I thought it would be easier for people to visualize what 52,000 people look like. Alan Partridge viewing figures = a nearly full Ibrox stadium.

Ah ha!
Old 26-08-2012, 21:36   #1116
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Actually, it's an apt comparison - there were 4,131 at the Berwick vs Rangers match today...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 26-08-2012, 21:53   #1117
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

After reading the last few pages it would appear I've been wasting my time watching what I believed to be quality content on Sky Atlantic , looking at the real crowd pullers when it comes to viewing figures I should perhaps be giving Big Brother , Eastenders or the X-Factor a go , the phrase I'd rather stick pins in my eyes certainly springs to mind.
Old 26-08-2012, 21:59   #1118
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

From one extreme to another.....
Old 26-08-2012, 22:19   #1119
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
After reading the last few pages it would appear I've been wasting my time watching what I believed to be quality content on Sky Atlantic , looking at the real crowd pullers when it comes to viewing figures I should perhaps be giving Big Brother , Eastenders or the X-Factor a go , the phrase I'd rather stick pins in my eyes certainly springs to mind.

Well said MM.
Old 27-08-2012, 02:52   #1120
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You are one of the minority who appreciates the channels output. You are not wasting your time, it is quality content but it seems to be either too highbrow or not exactly what the masses want. Most new programmes on SKY Atlantic follow a trend. The first couple of episodes of a new series tends to be when viewing figures peak. Thereafter the knuckle draggers stop tuning in
Old 27-08-2012, 08:47   #1121
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

The BBC beat Sky1 and ITV1 for 'Channel of the Year'.

Winner of Terrestrial Channel of the Year 2012 is:
-BBC Two

Winner of Digital Channel of the Year 2012 is:
-BBC Four

Full list of winners can be found at: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/...l-results.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 27-08-2012, 09:15   #1122
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
I know this post was partly in jest, but no, you're not wasting your time. If anything, Sky, and HBO, are to be applauded for a commitment to quality television regardless of the actual viewing figures. However, the point was made that 25% (or maybe 12.5%) of Sky customers choose Sky because of Atlantic and some of us are merely pointing out that the viewing figures don't back that statistic up.
Old 27-08-2012, 09:20   #1123
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The comments weren't aimed at you, mm - as I've stated before, there are some excellent programmes on SA, but it just seems strange, given the very low viewing figures, Sky would gain more advertising and subscriber revenue by releasing it to BT, VM, et al.
Old 27-08-2012, 09:52   #1124
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm well aware they weren't aimed at me and as Andy said my reply was in jest. The points being made about viewing figures are indeed valid however I believe the only people who know how many views a particular show gets is Sky themselves as they have the data for time shifted over 7 days , Sky Go , On Demand how many watched it further down the line on full box set on Anytime+. I think someone quoted Alan Partridge viewing figures of 52,000 which seems very low (I actually loved Mid morning matters) however sky have commissioned a series 2 which suggests more people viewed it than just the overnight figures. I agree that Atlantic is still trying to find its feet most HBO content is only suitable post watershed which leaves a hole in the daytime schedule , in summary while I agree viewing figures could improve , I believe Sky are happy enough with the views a set show gets or they'd be rushing to wholesale it.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:15   #1125
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

The fact that Sky have outbid the 'main' channels for such blockbusting series and shows (ok alan partridge as well) is the reason that other channels have taken a different tact and dumbed down their scheduling, they know with nearly 100% viewer availability if they can get a few morons to absorb a few episodes and tweet about it or start to quote it (shutuppp) then lots of other people will jump on the band wagon.. Some guy comes into my work and says "did you watch game of thrones last night - awesome!!" and the truth is no one else did, me and another guy have Virgin and everybody else has freeview. If that show had of been on BBC2 / BBC HD (ala the tudors) lots of people would have watched it.
Closed Thread