Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 09-12-2011, 20:09   #121
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-ntl View Post
Just out of curiosity what's the situation going to be for vip customers. i.e. someone on vip100. Will they be eligible for the £10 reduction?

Just curious as, if I remember correctly, when things like this have happened in the past, vip customers seem not to be included.

Same up to now with the tickles. Every tickle I've read about being offered seems to be in the vip package already anyway.

Phil
As th is no official confirmation of any of this up to now I expect no one knows.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2011, 20:11   #122
Phil-ntl
Body of a God (Buddha)!

Services: VVIP 500mb aka Ultimate Oomph (who the hell thought that name up??) 4X V6 Samsung UE55KU6470 4K TV
Phil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
As th is no official confirmation of any of this up to now I expect no one knows.
Ahhh. I understood it was official now. My bad.

<retreats back to the corner>

Phil
Phil-ntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 20:16   #123
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-ntl View Post
Ahhh. I understood it was official now. My bad.

<retreats back to the corner>

Phil
Posters say they have had emails which I do not dispute for one second, but up to now the has been no official announcement from Virgin Media as otherwise the link would be in this thread plus I would have seen it in work.
Old 09-12-2011, 20:31   #124
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Speed doubling free? That will be great, as I currently only get 4-5Mb most evenings on a 10Mb service then I will hopefully get 10Mb on a 20Mb service!!!!

Maybe I should go to the competition. For £16.49/mth my neighbour gets 37Mb download and 2Mb upload on Plusnet Fibre Basic whatever time of day he does the checks and YouTube actually streams without stalling, something I rarely get on VM! It does have a 40GB monthly limit plus unlimited download midnight to 8am but I could live with that.
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 22:47   #125
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
Speed doubling free? That will be great, as I currently only get 4-5Mb most evenings on a 10Mb service then I will hopefully get 10Mb on a 20Mb service!!!!
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Your speed will vary between what the congestion allows and your config maximum. If it stays around 4-5Mbps all night now then it will do the same whatever your config might say. Swapping to a DOCSIS 3 product (currently 30Mbps and up) might be better but there is not even any guarantee then either.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 23:36   #126
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Your speed will vary between what the congestion allows and your config maximum. If it stays around 4-5Mbps all night now then it will do the same whatever your config might say. Swapping to a DOCSIS 3 product (currently 30Mbps and up) might be better but there is not even any guarantee then either.
Thanks for the reply, it was a rather tongue-in-cheek comment as I am aware of the congestion issues! I used to have a rock solid 10Mb service until 2-3 years ago, but that has been deteriorating as they have oversold the product and under-invested in the infrastructure so it is no longer deliverable!
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58   #127
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I wasn't sure if it was tongue in cheek or not so I thought I'd spell it out.

My 50Mbps was fine but went down the tubes very quickly so I downgraded to 10Mbps - I thought I'd go onto DOCSIS1 which may or may not be OK around here but that's not how it works either so now I'm on 10Mbps but still see upstream congestion and terrible jitter. I imagine that if these upgrades go ahead without some other changes (draconian traffic management or actually shelling out for a network upgrade) the only thing I'll see increasing is the jitter.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:28   #128
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I wasn't sure if it was tongue in cheek or not so I thought I'd spell it out.

My 50Mbps was fine but went down the tubes very quickly so I downgraded to 10Mbps - I thought I'd go onto DOCSIS1 which may or may not be OK around here but that's not how it works either so now I'm on 10Mbps but still see upstream congestion and terrible jitter. I imagine that if these upgrades go ahead without some other changes (draconian traffic management or actually shelling out for a network upgrade) the only thing I'll see increasing is the jitter.
If you have a Docsis 3 modem then you will not go onto a Docsis 1 CMTS as it will not work.
Old 10-12-2011, 13:52   #129
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Yes I know - as I already said I thought it would but now know that it doesn't work like that so I'm stuck on VM's oversubscribed DOCSIS3 network for now which will doubtless be getting worse still if Ignition's pronouncement turns out to be correct.
Old 10-12-2011, 22:49   #130
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Here's the big question:

I have 50meg now with a Shub and I've not got any tickle emails. My area already has 100meg services according to the postcode checker. Do we know when the 100meg upgrades for the untickled are to happen yet?

Only slightly smaller question:

I upgraded to 50meg to drop downstream STM before Youview came out. If the 100meg product is to be STMed, can I assume it would not drop below 50meg down 5meg up when STMed so effectively I've not lost out compared to the 50meg product of today?
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 23:03   #131
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Here's the big question:

Do we know when the 100meg upgrades for the untickled are to happen yet
Not any time soon
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 23:28   #132
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by morley04 View Post
Not any time soon
Ah, perhaps before the Olympics is a good guess then?

Sounds like the STM will be upstream only, so no big issue with Youview.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 00:59   #133
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

As far as I can work out 50mb is moving upto 60mb but dont quote me on that.
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50   #134
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
If the 100meg product is to be STMed, can I assume it would not drop below 50meg
I thought stm whipped ~75% off your connection? 50mbit always went down to 12.5mbit/1.75 so I would have thought 100mbit would be 25mbit/2.5.

I don't mind the 2.5mbit up but dropping from 100 down to 25 downstream is a bit steep so hopefully they'll do something about that. I think Ignitionet has mentioned something about a more progressive throttling system the more you hammer your connection rather than an outright smack down.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:31   #135
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
If you have a Docsis 3 modem then you will not go onto a Docsis 1 CMTS as it will not work.
modems are backwards compatible, it would work, its just VM choose to not operate that way.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote