Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 30-03-2012, 15:08   #1561
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

No dude your in Horley. Crawleys a bit more lively
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2012, 16:23   #1562
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbryanw View Post
Has this been posted yet, or is it old news: Virgin raises broadband baseline to 30Mbits/sec?
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadban...to-30mbits-sec

So it will be 30MB -> 60MB -> 120MB once the upgrades have finished I assume?
this is the change that ben and masque denied, not sure why tho as I am sure he was aware it was happening.

This caught my attention.

Quote:
The revamp means all of Virgin Media's cable connections now meet the Government's definition of "superfast broadband", which is 24Mbits/sec upwards
I wonder what incentive VM may have been offered.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:29   #1563
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
this is the change that ben and masque denied.
As far as I recall I never denied it, I said it wasn't part of the uplifts and/or automatic.

Customer on M or L 10 will go to 20Mbit automatically. If they want to go any higher they have to request it
Old 30-03-2012, 19:55   #1564
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Since the last results I posted my upload has mysteriously changed from 1024 to 2048 overnight. As I understand it this is correct now. Any clues as to why this might be? Below are my current readings.

Connection

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Startup Procedure*
*Procedure* *Status* *Comment*
Acquire Downstream Channel 299000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

*Downstream Channels*
*Lock Status* *Modulation* *Channel ID*** *Max Raw Bit Rate***
*Frequency* *Power* *SNR* *Docsis/EuroDocsis locked*
Locked QAM256 26 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 8.3 dBmV 44.1 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 25 55616000 Kbits/sec 291000000 Hz 8.8 dBmV 44.0 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 29 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 8.5 dBmV 43.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 30 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 8.3 dBmV 43.9 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

*Upstream Channels*
*Lock Status* *Modulation* *Channel ID*** *Max Raw Bit Rate***
*Frequency* *Power*
Locked ATDMA 6 20480 Kbits/sec 27400000 Hz 43.0 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

*Primary Downstream Service Flow*
Downstream(0)
SFID 982
Max Traffic Rate 33330000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

*Primary Upstream Service Flow*
Upstream(0)
SFID 981
Max Traffic Rate 3333000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

*Current System Time:*Fri Mar 30 18:50:26 2012
Old 30-03-2012, 20:02   #1565
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:11   #1566
adzzzbatch
Inactive

Services: Full House XL TV, SkySports HD, VM TiVo 500Gb, TiVo 1Tb, VHD Box. 200Mb BB, Talk More Anytime Phone
adzzzbatch will become famous soon enoughadzzzbatch will become famous soon enoughadzzzbatch will become famous soon enough

Rang up today and got doubled from 30Mb to 60Mb, still only have 3 downstream channels though. Should I have had another one added?
adzzzbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:46   #1567
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I wonder what incentive VM may have been offered.
Both VM and BT were given huge grants. BT are putting it towards their fibre network, and VM are using to to improve and upgrade theirs.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 16:42   #1568
Bodie
Inactive

Bodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone actually been doubled yet via the normal rollout (not a requested upgrade). My upgrade was due 'between March and April' (not sure what that ambiguous wording even means but I take it to mean in March but before April) but nothing so far (10M to 20M). As it's free I'm happy to wait but just wondering if there's a known delay in the rollout?
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 16:46   #1569
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
Has anyone actually been doubled yet via the normal rollout (not a requested upgrade). My upgrade was due 'between March and April' (not sure what that ambiguous wording even means but I take it to mean in March but before April) but nothing so far (10M to 20M). As it's free I'm happy to wait but just wondering if there's a known delay in the rollout?
I take that to mean between 1st March and the end of April and that is my current time schedule and still not got it, although i have had an extra downstream channel added.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:58   #1570
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
Has anyone actually been doubled yet via the normal rollout (not a requested upgrade)
Yes (not me but customers have been)
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17   #1571
adzzzbatch
Inactive

Services: Full House XL TV, SkySports HD, VM TiVo 500Gb, TiVo 1Tb, VHD Box. 200Mb BB, Talk More Anytime Phone
adzzzbatch will become famous soon enoughadzzzbatch will become famous soon enoughadzzzbatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzzzbatch View Post
Rang up today and got doubled from 30Mb to 60Mb, still only have 3 downstream channels though. Should I have had another one added?
Edit now have 6: Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 25 55616000 Kbits/sec 282750000 Hz -3.4 dBmV 40.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 26 55616000 Kbits/sec 290750000 Hz -2.0 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 27 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz -1.5 dBmV 42.1 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 29 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz -2.3 dBmV 42.0 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 30 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz -1.1 dBmV 41.8 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 31 55616000 Kbits/sec 322750000 Hz -1.9 dBmV 41.4 dB Hybrid
adzzzbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:27   #1572
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Just called up to get mine changed from 50 to 100 and the lass on the phone did it for me instantly, same price as the 50 was. I noticed on the router page that upload still showed as 5meg and when i asked her she said it might take up to 24hrs for it to change to 10meg but didn't sound sure. Does that sound about right?

She also was fine upgrading me even though i don't have a superhub, i use the one from before it came out i think.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:31   #1573
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

When you upgrade to XXL 100, you won't get a 10Mbit upload until the speed work has completed in your area.
Old 02-04-2012, 14:33   #1574
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

When you say the speed work do you mean the automatic doubling upgrades? If you mean the seperate upload upgrades 'i think' they were just done in our area as i went from 1.6mb/s to 5mb/s recently.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:35   #1575
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I love it that they either dont know what they are talking about or are just so comfortable lieing. She has provisioned you for 100/5 and that isnt magically going to change over night. You have been upgraded early, probably before they have done upgrade work in your area, and you wont get 100/10 till the rest of your area gets upgraded
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote