Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 15-06-2013, 13:40   #3826
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

jarrodstrachan is on a distinguished roadjarrodstrachan is on a distinguished road
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Mine is looking a bit better as of late.. upstream bonding has helped alot, I think I will wait until the fix date provided for extra capacity to be added and see how the connection is then before jumping ship to Infinity.

jarrodstrachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2013, 14:58   #3827
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Almost as good as mine - the hogher yellow might reflect your own use. The yellow hardly matters if the blue is as low as it is.
Ah right cool, it would probably be better if I was in modem mode I assume, they said they were doing some load balancing/adding extra capacity over the next couple of weeks when I called them about something else so thought that might be the cause of the spikes but if it's mainly the blue that matters I am very happy
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:05   #3828
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Not necessarily better in modem mode because it's still your router that's linked to TBB. But the CPU load on your own router will be lower than on the SH and the contrast between peak and ff peak on TBB should be less marked.

The blue is the average. That's why it matters.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:07   #3829
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Not necessarily better in modem mode because it's still your router that's linked to TBB. But the CPU load on your own router will be lower than on the SH and the contrast between peak and ff peak on TBB should be less marked.

The blue is the average. That's why it matters.
I thought in modem mode the modem itself still sees all the traffic while filtering out the correct packets (BPI) - so surely the marked difference between peak and off peak wouldnt change? (correct me if im wrong)
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:18   #3830
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
I thought in modem mode the modem itself still sees all the traffic while filtering out the correct packets (BPI) - so surely the marked difference between peak and off peak wouldnt change? (correct me if im wrong)
Yes, the modem applies BPI - but that is an in-line function and is rate limited by the configuration file. But the arrival rate of TBB pings is influenced by circuit utilisation as are router responses which are also sensitive to whatever else the router is doing.

When I'm in modem mode, the difference isn't as marked as when I'm in router mode (my current mode). I'm not currently at home. So what I've pasted below is a TBB with my own system quiet. The SH2 is doing the TBB work.

Old 15-06-2013, 15:41   #3831
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

jarrodstrachan is on a distinguished roadjarrodstrachan is on a distinguished road

Just logged on to my nans superhub to see how her 30mb service is doing, and noticed she has 8 upstream channels ? Never seen this before, she's connected to the same UBR as me too. 8 downstream channels for 30mb is a bit odd no?
Old 15-06-2013, 15:47   #3832
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

The number of DS channels is not a function of the tier you are on. VM aim that everyone will have 8 DS channels so that eventually you can hit 200 meg or more (8 channels supports 400 megs but SNR has to be high all the time and thy'll have to resegment so as to avoid serious congestion).

Two US channels allow up to 40 meg at current modulation but the frequenxy is noise sensitive which makes it tricky increase the bit density (modulation increase from 16QAM).

Old 15-06-2013, 15:56   #3833
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

Ah right, wasn't aware they were doing that.. not that it will make much difference to my connection as I think downstream utilisation in my area is fine. Especially with having 8 channels available.

I was actually speaking to a friend yesterday about whether Virgin will offer 200mb in the next year or two. I know they did a trial a while back, but I don't know the ins and outs..
Old 15-06-2013, 16:00   #3834
Simm
Inactive

Simm is an unknown quantity at this point

Connection Thursday/Friday

Connection Friday/saturday

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Have these swings in connection constantly over a 24hour period, usually it is more of the Friday/Saturday variant though.

Several users in same area as me ( rm7/8 ) get the identical red spiking at identical times, Apparently it's a 5 month running fault now and i have been informed by my "customer complaint liason" that ""Networks have currently engaged our network partners Cisco and Telindus in trying to locate where this problem is, hopefully we'll have more information over the coming days""

We all suffer from massive amounts of t3 and t4 timeouts, currently 784 t3 timeouts and 28 t4 timeouts
Simm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 16:03   #3835
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post

I'll gladly swap mine

Several users in same area as me ( rm7/8 ) get the identical red spiking. Apparently it's a 5 month running fault now and i have been informed by my "customer complaint liason" that ""Networks have currently engaged our network partners Cisco and Telindus in trying to locate where this problem is, hopefully we'll have more information over the coming days""

We all suffer from massive amounts of t3 and t4 timeouts.

Jesus, I think I would get a full refund for that connection immediately and use the money towards an ADSL connection.
Old 15-06-2013, 16:31   #3836
Simm
Inactive

Simm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats currently being negotiated
Simm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 22:16   #3837
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The number of DS channels is not a function of the tier you are on. VM aim that everyone will have 8 DS channels so that eventually you can hit 200 meg or more (8 channels supports 400 megs but SNR has to be high all the time and thy'll have to resegment so as to avoid serious congestion).

Two US channels allow up to 40 meg at current modulation but the frequenxy is noise sensitive which makes it tricky increase the bit density (modulation increase from 16QAM).
I'm glad they're trying to put EVERYONE on the same number of DS channels. It just makes sense, really. Technically, there's no real limit to the number of channels they can have though, is there? I mean the SH itself might be a limitation, but DOCSIS3 doesn't have a hard limit or anything, I don't think.

I wonder if new hardware would be required to go above 8 DS channels. If it is, I'd imagine they'd just roll out DOCSIS3.1 hardware instead.

200Meg would be nice, if only because it would be 120Meg under STM :p
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 06:12   #3838
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Deleted - if you can't post in a civilised manner, don't post
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 05:13   #3839
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

uddingston playing up again

Attachment 24643

Old 19-06-2013, 09:21   #3840
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
...Technically, there's no real limit to the number of channels they can have though, is there? ...:p
AFAIK DOCSIS3 = 24 (source= the (euro)CableLabs specs).
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote