Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless network needing more power - is Wireless N the solution?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless network needing more power - is Wireless N the solution?

Old 15-01-2011, 13:18   #1
Anastasis
Inactive

Anastasis is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless network needing more power - is Wireless N the solution?

Hi

I am trying to help a friend out with their wireless network in a large 3 storey house with quite thick walls.

About central and downstairs they have BT hub with phone connection that also operates as a WiFi router. On the top floor they have a Linksys wifi router which is fed by a network cable from the downstairs BT hub.

They get good wifi access on the top (2nd) floor and part of the first floor from the top floor router, but one room lacks good access

Downstairs the wifi works ok but seems to drop off quite badly to be unusable in the extremities of the ground floor, I guess because of the thick walls.

Cabling everywhere would obviously solve the problems but he wants a wifi network throughout.

I wondered if he should get a couple of Wireless N routers to replace what he has, but I am not sure if Wireless N devices provide more power as well as more speed. Having said that whilst I think a non-BT hub would still work I am conscious that if ever he needs to contact BT support then they would be expecting to have one of their BT hubs in place.

Please could you advise on this and if buying a couple of Wireless N routers is the most cost effective solution and if so recommend any. If going Wireless N is not the solution, then please advise what would be best to do.

I hope all of the above makes sense. Thanks in advance.
Anastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2011, 15:49   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Wireless network needing more power - is Wireless N the solution?

On the basis of my own experience with a large Victorian house.. When I had wireless G I needed a repeater on the far side of the house to get a reliable signal everywhere. Since I changed to wireless N I can get a working good signal throughout the house with just the one router.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 01:15   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Wireless N will not give you any more power, in fact it may output less. Power is limited by local regulations rather than wireless standards, the EU limit is 100mW on 2.4Ghz. You could get equipment 100x more powerful but they wouldn't be legal to buy or operate.

That said the average N device won't go much further than a good set of G equipment, but N does mandate minimum receive sensitivities (i.e. the weakest signal that can be used) to be at least as good as the best G equipment, so on average you might get a bit more range.

You'll probably see more variation between individual devices/models than between G and N as a whole.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 21:46   #4
Xtinguish
Inactive

Services: 100 meg Super Hub2 4TB HD
Xtinguish is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget about wireless routers. Home plugs are the best route to take. Available on Ebuyer, Amazon and Maplin etc.
Xtinguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 23:57   #5
Anastasis
Inactive

Anastasis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your replies on this.
Anastasis is offline   Reply With Quote