Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin f5d7230-4 Problem and General Router Question...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin f5d7230-4 Problem and General Router Question...

Old 24-10-2006, 22:30   #1
anduin
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD, 100mb VM cable, Virgin Phoneline
anduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about them
Belkin f5d7230-4 Problem and General Router Question...

Sorry for the long thread title.

This post will be in a few parts, firstly explaining what seems to be a problem with the belkin 7230-4 router ( version 1000 .. dont know about others as i dont have any more ), continuing to how to fix your 7230-4 if you broke it, and finishing on a question intended for those who use wireless and are on the 20mb trial.

Belkin (suspected ) problem...
I Strongly suspect that my belkin 7230-4 is being somewhat overloaded by the 20mb coming down the WLAN port, Tested this by removing the router from my setup and got 17mb downloads. Put router back on and get 4-6mb downloads. Tried with some other D-Link router and got 11-13mb downloads.

I am curious as to if the port is half duplex or something ( belkin tech support babbled and wouldnt give me a real answer ), and am presuming that its running at 10mb, so 10mb half duplex = chaos on a 20mb line.

So...

My First attempted solution...
After reading about the belkin 7230-4 it would appear that it would accept the firmware with a little 'modification' of the 7231.. well nothing ventured nothing gained .. so out comes the hex editor and the firmware is patched and installed.
OK so the router bacame unstable and seems to be a little worse, 'no problem' i think, 'i'll revert it back to the original firmware.
This now became the fun part...
Wont accept its original flash back, wont update at all, every flash for the 7230-4 is apparently incorrect...

Repair of the 7230-4...
To cut a long story short i installed PumpKIN ( available from download.com ) which it s tftp transfer program..
I set the lan port on my laptop to 192.168.2.2 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and default route of 192.168.2.1
Went to the belkin support site and grabbed the oldest firmware available for the router ( apparently the 4.x firmwares have some stupid bug to do with packet loss )
Set PumpKin to try and dump the image to the router ( 192.168.2.1 ) and power cycled the router, 3 seconds later .. router restored to former glory.

General Question about router ....
I am obviously now looking for another router as this one obviously can not cope with the connection speeds involved...

which leads me to ....

Anybody who is on the 20mb trial, and happens to use a wireless router in their setup, please would you advise to what router you are using?

( also if you use WPA, does it ass an extra 20-30ms to your ping times ? )

Sorry for the babble, just hope someone can help with the router question, and the first 2/3 of the post acts as a deterrant for anyone foolish enough to try to 'modify' their router ( it dont help at all people .. trust me ( and as for the option of running 125mb wifi ... the option does not appear in the menu under SSID .. the claims that it does are false ))
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2006, 22:36   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Belkin f5d7230-4 Problem and General Router Question...

excellent post

okay...main problem is the router itself. it cant handle the 20meg afaik.

WPA does bugger up the speed a bit of the wlan network, has something to do with the kind of encryption it uses (please correct me if I'm wrong here but afaik it uses 256bits encryption)

which firmware you running now I presume 4.05.03 as thats the most up to date firmware for the 7230 v1000.

check your pm as well
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 22:44   #3
anduin
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD, 100mb VM cable, Virgin Phoneline
anduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Belkin f5d7230-4 Problem and General Router Question...

nah am running the early eary version ... 3.00.08

Found it on some uber-secret belkin site.

it seems to have better signal strength than the later firmwares.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote