Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Suitable wired router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Suitable wired router?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:32   #1
theamazingally
Inactive

theamazingally is an unknown quantity at this point
Suitable wired router?

Hi

Could anyone tell me if Netgear wired routers are suitable for my Virgin broadband cable connection? I would be using the wired router for gaming on Xbox 360 LIVE while my Vista PC is running.

How easy would a wired router be to setup with this connection?

Also, after I install the router on my PC is it possible to disconnect it and connect the Virgin cable back into the computers ethernet port for internet use or does installing a router alter configuration settings?

Thanks
theamazingally is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2007, 11:05   #2
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: Suitable wired router?

It 'should' be as simple as removing the ethernet cable from the back of the computer and plugging it into the switch then ethernet from the switch to your pc and xbox.

I'd be tempted to look for a cable router rather than a switch and then even more tempted to get a wireless cable router as this will allow you to use a wireless laptop / nintendo ds / psp or other device (iphone when released).

Decent wireless cable routers can be had for around £40.

Once set-up no cables will need unplugging internet will be available to any device plugged (or wireless) to the router.

You won't go far wrong with one of these.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:15   #3
theamazingally
Inactive

Sorry, what is the difference between a cable router and switch router? Are all cable routers wireless?

I just wanted a wired router because my xbox isn't that far away from the cable modem and I didn't want to have to pay for an Xbox adapter.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

Basically

A Hub - Connects together multiple devices but any data that comes in on 1 port gets sent to every other port as it is a dumb device.

A Switch (or manage hub) - takes this a step further by adding and address table that knows what devices are connected to each port so data is only sent out to that port. It manages data much more efficiently.

A Router - Is another step further than that and combines a switch with a facility to take your ip address from the virgin modem and share it out by creating an internal network and issuing ip addresses to those devices.

A router is your way forward and I'd consider looking at a wireless one as it will offer you more functionality in the future.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15   #5
theamazingally
Inactive

thanks for your help handyman, I will probably buy a wirless router with xbox adapter in the future but for now I just want the cheapest option. Do you know if a wired router such as the one I suggested would operate well with my setup? (are wired switch routers fully compatible with cable broadband connections?)
Old 11-07-2007, 13:06   #6
handyman
Permanently Banned

Any of these Though the linksys wired is only £4 cheaper than the wireless one. (probably because the wireless ones are selling in greater volumes)

You won't need an adaptor for the xbox on a wireless router as most come with wired ports.

I'm assuming it has an ethernet port on it.
Old 11-07-2007, 13:14   #7
theamazingally
Inactive

oh right, so I could buy a wireless router and still connect my Xbox directly to it through the ethernet cable in the meantime?
Old 11-07-2007, 14:21   #8
handyman
Permanently Banned

Certainly, Since more wireless routers are being sold (domestic ones) than wired routers the difference in price is very slim.

The Linksys I linked to in an earlier post is one of the most popular used my VM users here so if you have specific questions regarding it you will find a lot of assistance on tap. I know there are a large number of xbox users on this forum as well.

If your feeling brave you can replace the firmware with a open source version and upgrade siganl strenght amongst other things too.
Old 11-07-2007, 15:46   #9
theamazingally
Inactive

ok thanks handyman. just one more thing, if for some reason I buy a wireless router and need to disconnect it from my PC after installation, can I still connect the Virgin cable back into the computers ethernet port for internet use?
Old 11-07-2007, 18:43   #10
Data

I think you may need to power cycle the modem as the connecting mac will be different from the current one.
Old 11-07-2007, 18:51   #11
theamazingally
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
I think you may need to power cycle the modem as the connecting mac will be different from the current one.
hi

so would that be a case of disconnecting the wireless router, shutting everything off, waiting a short period and then connecting the cable modem directly to my PC with its ethernet cable?
Old 11-07-2007, 18:54   #12
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingally View Post
hi

so would that be a case of disconnecting the wireless router, shutting everything off, waiting a short period and then connecting the cable modem directly to my PC with its ethernet cable?
Exactly that.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote