Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Expanding Foam as Insulation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Expanding Foam as Insulation

Old 28-02-2012, 17:16   #16
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Expanding Foam as Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
I see what you mean. The roof and walls are insulated with a combination of polystyrene sheeting and bubblewrap, I was on a tight budget, but it seems to have worked. The wall cavity was about 2 1/2 inches which was jam packed with insulation.

I dont want to overspend on floor insulation if its not necessary, the cheapest option would be the best for me, ive already spent way too much on the workshop as it is.

This insulated MDF sounds good, i will have to look out for that. It would be ideal.
If your on a tight budget or cannot justify the expense then just plain ply sheeting will do about £24-5 per sheet or mdf slightly cheaper but not as resilient or good where spillages happen or even just plain T&G chipboard even cheaper all will stop the draughts and add some insulation on their own
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2012, 17:24   #17
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
If your on a tight budget or cannot justify the expense then just plain ply sheeting will do about £24-5 per sheet or mdf slightly cheaper but not as resilient or good where spillages happen or even just plain T&G chipboard even cheaper all will stop the draughts and add some insulation on their own
Isn't MDF more insulating than plywood?

Currently 6mm Plywood at our DIY place is £13.00 a Sheet 8' x 8', 6mm isn't thick enough though is it? I used 6mm to board up the roof and walls.

I saw these http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/116420

Im assuming this is what you mean by the boards?, Trouble is these would be better to fit if they came in 16 ft lengths, but as an overall covering, 8ft x 8ft sheeting would have the job done in no time.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 17:30   #18
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

not so you'd notice

Quote:
Currently 6mm Plywood at our DIY place is £13.00 a Sheet 8' x 8', 6mm isn't thick enough though is it? I used 6mm to board up the roof and walls.

Im assuming this is what you mean by the boards?, Trouble is these would be better to fit if they came in 16 ft lengths, but as an overall covering, 8ft x 8ft sheeting would have the job done in no time.
Yep that wicks sheeting will do fine ,and i think you mean 8x4 not 8x8 as far as i know 8x8 are not manufactured the biggest i have ever used is 10x4 and that's not a stock item
Old 28-02-2012, 17:52   #19
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You are laying this boarding directly over the existing board. Thus the thickness of the added board will not be an issue for strength as any load is directly transferred to the existing boards. A thin plywood would be more than sufficient to block the draughts.

Wood products offer some thermal properties, but for the thicknesses you are talking of either as existing flooring or added boarding, not enough to make any real difference. If you want insulation, as opposed to draught proofing then you need an insulating layer. But given that your walls and roof don't have that high a performance, any significant expense on the floor, is not in my view justifiable.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 18:09   #20
Barewolf
Inactive

Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
You are laying this boarding directly over the existing board. Thus the thickness of the added board will not be an issue for strength as any load is directly transferred to the existing boards. A thin plywood would be more than sufficient to block the draughts.

Wood products offer some thermal properties, but for the thicknesses you are talking of either as existing flooring or added boarding, not enough to make any real difference. If you want insulation, as opposed to draught proofing then you need an insulating layer. But given that your walls and roof don't have that high a performance, any significant expense on the floor, is not in my view justifiable.
Well 6mm Ply isnt too expensive, and I use that for my walls, so any offcuts I could use for the floor in certain places.

I will get this instead, lucky you said this or i would have gone for 12mm ply, but if thats not needed it will save money
Old 28-02-2012, 18:11   #21
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Im assuming this is what you mean by the boards?,.
Those boards are exactly the same as the ones I've got in my shed and they do a decent enough job of keeping the heat in, more importantly for me they give the floor some rigidity and for extra protection I used silicone sealant around all the edges.

The single biggest benefit I found for keeping my shed warm was sealing all the gaps/windows/roof etc which took about 3 tubes of silicone sealant and about 2 hours. I also put some additional strengthening 3"x2" supports on both the doors to stop them from warping with latches on the inside to hold them flush to the frame work.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 18:32   #22
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I'd rather use OSB2 sheets for flooring.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 18:32   #23
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If you lay plastic sheet over the existing floorboards, before you overlaywith plywood or chipboard you'll be about as sealed as you can get.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 21:34   #24
Barewolf
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If you lay plastic sheet over the existing floorboards, before you overlaywith plywood or chipboard you'll be about as sealed as you can get.
Luckily i have some unused plastic sheeting, so i will definitely do that.
Old 29-02-2012, 07:53   #25
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

An easy way to insulate the floor would bee fitting a carpet using a thick AP underlay (such as 11m cloud9 columious). That would kill the droughts, make the floor feel/look warmer and more homely. Of cause the carpet you choose would have to bee appropriate for what you plan on doing in the workshop. A carpet such as gala would bee good workshop fodder (easy to clean, low, tight pile etc).
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:43   #26
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My shed is carpetted
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 12:55   #27
Barewolf
Inactive

carpet will have to wait, im still on a tight budget, got loads of stuff to do this summer, and nothings cheap anymore