Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : Season 6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who : Season 6

Old 02-05-2011, 14:43   #106
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't think you can really comment stating Matt Smith hasn't taken control of the role if you haven't really watched any of the original 8 doctors before.

Matt has been brilliant in the role and put his own stamp on the part of the Doctor.
I don't think Carl is saying that at all. I think he was quering Lord Nikon's comments about copying the doctor's personality from audiotapes of the previous doctors..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2011, 14:44   #107
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I don't think you can really comment stating Matt Smith hasn't taken control of the role if you haven't really watched any of the original 8 doctors before.
Well he's certainly different to both Chis' and David's interpretation.

Quote:
Matt has been brilliant in the role and put his own stamp on the part of the Doctor.
I think so too
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 15:01   #108
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

I'm really enjoying Matt's Doctor. He has a lot of the quirkiness and eccentricity of some of the earlier doctors with the energy of the RTD Doctors. I keep expecting him to reach into his pocket and pull out a bag of jelly babies.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 15:25   #109
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

To me, the doctor should be be confident (almost to the point of arrogance), whimsical, sometimes moody, sometimes frightening, slightly excitable, but also vulnerable. They must also have a slight "alien" quality as if they don't always work with the same set of values we do.

Not all of the previous doctors had all of the qualities though, I'll admit. For instance, Tom Baker was confident (but sometimes arrogant), moody, excitable, frightening and definitely whimsical. Peter Davison was confident (but never arrogant), excitable, whimsical and sometimes vulnerable.

David Tennant actually played all those bits well, as did most of the other doctors (although not all doctors had all those characteristics). Matt Smith hasn't played all of them, but there is still time.
Old 02-05-2011, 18:32   #110
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Confident? Often beyond the realm of competence.
Whimsical? Suppose so
Moody? Ok
Frightening? He couldn't scare a fly
Excitable? I'm sure he's on speed
Vulnerable? Only as vulnerable as cardboard is to rain
Alien quality? Umm, no

Thing is, the doctor is often all of those at the same time. Matt Smith doesn't seem capable of more than one per scene.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 18:52   #111
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Well he's certainly different to both Chis' and David's interpretation.

I think so too
While I love new Who, I still really love some of the classic Who and that's what I grew up with. My earliest memories are of Peter Davison but mostly my growi up involved Colin Baker and Slyvester McCoy. However I now have a huge collection of DVDs featuring all the old doctors and they all brought something new and different to the role but as things have changed all the Doctors have featured some of the traits that were part of their predecessors version of the Doctor.
Old 02-05-2011, 19:17   #112
Stuart
-

Quote:
While I love new Who, I still really love some of the classic Who and that's what I grew up with. My earliest memories are of Peter Davison but mostly my growi up involved Colin Baker and Slyvester McCoy. However I now have a huge collection of DVDs featuring all the old doctors and they all brought something new and different to the role but as things have changed all the Doctors have featured some of the traits that were part of their predecessors version of the Doctor.
That's actually my view of things. The traits I listed are what I think are the basic traits of the character, but each doctor has been different, and may or may not have had some of those traits.
Old 03-05-2011, 21:33   #113
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Not in any of the series i have ever watched,however in the 1996 film that idea was central to the theme of the film (which was intended for american audiences).I also believe that film should be erased from the history of mankind and anyone mentioning it again should be torn apart by cybermen,run over repeatedly by Daleks then dropped into a time vortex forever staring into the inane grin of sylvester mcoy
I like the film,

I think the eighth doctor is one of the best, it's a crime we didn't get to see more.

A few elements from the film made it to the new series, the design of the tardis for one. (not identical I know but the 9th and 10th doctors tardis was a riff on the one from the film.
Old 03-05-2011, 21:59   #114
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I like the film,

I think the eighth doctor is one of the best, it's a crime we didn't get to see more.

A few elements from the film made it to the new series, the design of the tardis for one. (not identical I know but the 9th and 10th doctors tardis was a riff on the one from the film.
If you like the 8th Doctor you should listen to some of the Big Finish audio stories featuring him.
Old 07-05-2011, 17:22   #115
watzizname
Inactive

Services: XL 60/3
watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

So was Amy "just dreaming" all that we've seen in the last 2 episodes, or was she somehow tuning into one of the little girl's memories, or perhaps recalling one of her own?

Could it be that the sequence this image comes from, was the only real moment in the episodes?

I think it's fair to say that there's a lot more going on here, than first meets the eye.

Spoiler: 
I read somewhere that the lady above will also make an appearance in tonight's episode..
watzizname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 23:26   #116
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

It was a weak episode.

Obviously little unexplained minuets were in place to keep us alert (like Amy seeing the women through the hatch)

The trailers for the rest of the season look good. I hope they live up to expectations
Old 08-05-2011, 08:00   #117
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I quite enjoyed it. Not sure how it was 'weak' just because it didn't move the overall season arc forward at all.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44   #118
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I quite enjoyed it. Not sure how it was 'weak' just because it didn't move the overall season arc forward at all.
That's not reason I thought it wa weak. I just thought it was a rubbish story.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01   #119
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Oh right. Yeah. I did wonder whether to make that a question or not The story did remind my of ST:VOY I suppose, but I liked it well enough. Was a good "twist".
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17   #120
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That's not reason I thought it wa weak. I just thought it was a rubbish story.
I thought I would give the new season a chance after being thoroughly disheartened by the previous series.

The first two Eps were encouraging but last nights effort slid back into garbage mode.

With story's and FX like this I doubt that even the Tennant/Piper combo could do much to lift it.

Very disappointing.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote