Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IE7 beta public release?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

IE7 beta public release?

Old 02-02-2006, 14:31   #46
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Re: IE7 beta public release?

To me, the interesting thing that seems to have been missed so far doesn't relate to the exploit that Ferris found - this is still beta software so it's normal that there are bugs in it. However, if you check here then it took him only 15 minutes to discover this flaw.

It seems to me that MS are continuing to rely too much on using the general public as beta testers instead of properly/thoroughly testing beta versions in-house. Whatever happened to internal alpha/beta testing, and external RC testing? Not that MS are the only culprits of this behaviour.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2006, 14:34   #47
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
To me, the interesting thing that seems to have been missed so far doesn't relate to the exploit that Ferris found - this is still beta software so it's normal that there are bugs in it. However, if you check here then it took him only 15 minutes to discover this flaw.

It seems to me that MS are continuing to rely too much on using the general public as beta testers instead of properly/thoroughly testing beta versions in-house. Whatever happened to internal alpha/beta testing, and external RC testing? Not that MS are the only culprits of this behaviour.
And what doe's Firefox do and its Linux communitie ?
Old 02-02-2006, 14:37   #48
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Erm, there's a difference between something being open source, and something that is closed source being beta tested on the general public.
Old 02-02-2006, 14:39   #49
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
Erm, there's a difference between something being open source, and something that is closed source being beta tested on the general public.
Still needs beta testing like most software. Problem as I see it is most firefox users are just anti microsoft.
Old 02-02-2006, 14:59   #50
Gareth
cf.mega poster

I agree, all software should be beta tested... followed by RC ideally. My point was that MS make money, albeit indirectly, through IE (despite it being free ...as in beer, for users to download and use) but they and others (are you listening, Google) have started a trend of using the public as beta testers, which I don't think is a good route to go down.

Software testing is a profession (I should know, I've done enough of it in the past!) which I think is too important to leave to the general public. Just my
Old 02-02-2006, 15:06   #51
gooner4life
cf.geek

Services: SkyQ 2TB - Multiroom x3, VM 350Mb cable broadband.
gooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpack

I've uninstalled IE7, little niggly things started to bother me like the lack of a true error page like a 404 etc it just stated that the webpage had a problem and didnt actually expand on it, also the fact that i couldnt play videos from the Arsenal.com site as it didnt recognise that I had WMP10.
gooner4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 15:28   #52
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

No 64 bit support. Bah.

Its probably just the setup file blocking it without reason aswell.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

64 bit install method -

Quote:
* Extract IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe to a temporary folder.
* Working within' the extracted directory, delete the following:
o update\
o install.ins
o spmsg.dll
o spuninst.exe
o spupdsvc.exe
* Create a blank text file within' the directory and rename it to iexplore.exe.local.
* Move the directory to a location in which you want to store the now standalone version of Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1 (eg. My Documents).
* Execute iexplore.exe.
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php...ic=17246&st=0#
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 15:35   #53
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Already posted that in the thread
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...4&postcount=38
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 15:36   #54
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

OK Mr Know-it-all try this one

How can I get a 'classic' view, ie not have the address bar at the top and the file, edit etc. at the top instead?
Old 02-02-2006, 16:33   #55
xathras

Services: Family Pack Digital TV with PremiershipPlus Season Ticket. 10Mb Broadband Talk 24 Unlimited Teleph

I downloaded it about 20 mins ago and personally i am a fan of it.

seems to be working well can't have any complaints. I have just installed style xp with the panther style and it looks brilliant, keeping my system trim and the fonts actually look more crisp on the screen to.
Old 02-02-2006, 16:40   #56
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Do microsoft have something against ad-blockers? You would think that there would at least be a plug-in available?
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 17:13   #57
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
OK Mr Know-it-all try this one

How can I get a 'classic' view, ie not have the address bar at the top and the file, edit etc. at the top instead?
Currently you can't, the GUI may well change before final release but currently we are stuck with those lovely buttons up the top

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
Do microsoft have something against ad-blockers? You would think that there would at least be a plug-in available?
Tell me about it, that is the only feature I miss
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 19:26   #58
smicer07
Inactive

smicer07 has reached the bronze age
smicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via AIM to smicer07 Send a message via MSN to smicer07 Send a message via Yahoo to smicer07

Anyone else having a problem with XML? I can't access my saved conversations in MSN Messenger.. any ideas? Ta.
smicer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 20:21   #59
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Currently you can't, the GUI may well change before final release but currently we are stuck with those lovely buttons up the top

The thing is this is really THE reason i use firefox, AdBlock is superb.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:00   #60
jtwn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul

Ok thanks anyway.

It does have a pop up blocker though, tools, popup blocker.

Oh btw, its nerfed IE6 and now I cannot load pages up in it. Guess when they say its not meant for x its not meant for x =)