Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IE7 beta public release?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

IE7 beta public release?

Old 31-01-2006, 23:09   #31
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: IE7 beta public release?

Just tried it - nice.
One small thing and I notice that the Windows Media Player Radio doesn't work properly -it gives the error that IE6 or above is required, which presumably will be fixed in the main version...
And - Canon Easy-Webprint isn't compatible with this version (not so vital as you can tweak the print before you send it to the printer)
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2006, 00:08   #32
paul11974
Inactive

Services: xl phone & xl tv 2mb broadband £34.95pence
paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

it has screwed up my emails when i open outlook express and click on a link in the email it will not open
paul11974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 00:12   #33
looselipsuk
Inactive

Services: XL broadband 60Mb Virgin free TV + Telephone HTC Desire S
looselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to looselipsuk Send a message via Yahoo to looselipsuk

Have found that Outlook Express works fine including links so not sure why paul11974 is having a problem.
One thing I have found is any picture attachments in IncrediMail only show the three coloured place holder and not the picture.
No problem with attachments in Outlook Express so a little confused.
Have even re-installed IncrediMail with no success. All attachments showed fine till I downloaded IE7.
Weird.
Anybody got any ideas?
looselipsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 00:22   #34
paul11974
Inactive

paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by looselipsuk
Have found that Outlook Express works fine including links so not sure why paul11974 is having a problem.
One thing I have found is any picture attachments in IncrediMail only show the three coloured place holder and not the picture.
No problem with attachments in Outlook Express so a little confused.
Have even re-installed IncrediMail with no success. All attachments showed fine till I downloaded IE7.
Weird.
Anybody got any ideas?

I AM GOING TO REBOOT AND SEE IF THAT FIXES MY PROBLEM

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul11974
I AM GOING TO REBOOT AND SEE IF THAT FIXES MY PROBLEM
well well well bill gates does it again when you have outlook express it will only open the links in the email if you set ie7 as your default browser. If you use firefox they wont open
Old 01-02-2006, 00:44   #35
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

going to try this out judging by the responses here it seems its stable now.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:40   #36
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

For those members complaining that IE7 Beta2 Preview has broken their PC please read post 1 of this thread carefully
Anyone wanting to remove the Beta:
Quote:
Reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview

If you want to reinstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview (or install a new version) you must first remove the existing Internet Explorer 7 version. You cannot install Internet Explorer 7 over itself.

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
# Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
# Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
# Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box.
# Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2Preview,” and then click "Change/Remove."

If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" does not exist, run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe. You need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.
People wanting more info can always keep an eye on
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:50   #37
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul11974
it has screwed up my emails when i open outlook express and click on a link in the email it will not open
I have the same problem. Clicking a link either doesn't work or opens an Explorer window showing the contents of C:\Program Files\MailWasher.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:53   #38
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP
Doesn't work on 64 bit
Yes it does, just have to use a workaround to create a standalone version of IE
Quote:
* Extract IE7B2P-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe to a temporary folder.
* Working within' the extracted directory, delete the following:
o update\
o install.ins
o spmsg.dll
o spuninst.exe
o spupdsvc.exe
* Create a blank text file within' the directory and rename it to iexplore.exe.local.
* Move the directory to a location in which you want to store the now standalone version of Internet Explorer 7 Preview (eg. X\IE7 BETA2).
* Execute iexplore.exe.
To extract you will need Winrar installed and then just right click the exe file you downloaded.
For those having issues please remember it's Beta and please use the feedback link I posted in the thread to report the problems so that they can be addressed.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:56   #39
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Yes it does, just have to use a workaround to create a standalone version of IE

To extract you will need Winrar installed and then just right click the exe file you downloaded.
For those having issues please remember it's Beta and please use the feedback link I posted in the thread to report the problems so that they can be addressed.
I've done that in fact I posted that on another board but its not 100% working think its a work around for the first release
Old 01-02-2006, 10:53   #40
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Why not use Mozilla Thunderbird insead of Outlook Express, its a brilliant e-mail app? Express is a secuity hazard extrodinaire.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 13:36   #41
looselipsuk
Inactive

Services: XL broadband 60Mb Virgin free TV + Telephone HTC Desire S
looselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to looselipsuk Send a message via Yahoo to looselipsuk

Follow up to my message regarding picture attachments not showing in IncrediMail.
I also found that some stationery could not be saved to Style Box as well.
Tried changing lots of settings for Security and Advanced settings with no success.
Un-installed IE7 and immediately all attached pictures could be seen and all stationery that previously could not be saved now could be saved.
Seems like, as mentioned in a previous post, that unless you are using a Microsoft email client then you will possibly have problems.
Shame, as I liked the look of IE7, but seems like I am stuck with IE6 as I create and share IncrediMail stationery, so not being able to save stationery or see attached pictures is not an option.
looselipsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 14:36   #42
paul11974
Inactive

i have no option but to uninstall it so its back to firefox and then my outlook express will work. And hey ho after i have uninstalled ie7 my outlook express now works
Old 01-02-2006, 20:44   #43
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Less than 24hrs after release - IE7 Beta 2 Preview Open to DoS Attack

Quote:
Security researcher Tom Ferris says he has discovered a security vulnerability in the Beta 2 Preview release of Internet Explorer 7. The bug lies in the urlmon.dll file and causes the browser to crash when it encounters a URL with the "file://" protocol followed by a long string of dashes.

Ferris previously discovered security flaws in Firefox, IE6 and QuickTime. He notes that arbitrary code could be executed on a machine running Microsoft's newest beta browser, but his proof-of-concept code simply crashes the application. The issue has been reported to Microsoft and Ferris says it is only of medium severity.

Source: BetaNews
Old 02-02-2006, 06:05   #44
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

the fix which you didnt post is disable sounds in the IE options, renders the exploit useless.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:36   #45
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
the fix which you didnt post is disable sounds in the IE options, renders the exploit useless.
Yep
Quote:
Quick fix: Disable the playing of sounds in web pages shown in IE7
( Tools>
Internet Options>
Advanced>
un-check the box that reads †œPlay Sounds in Web PagesÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â).
and the exploit is useless.