Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Happy Birthday to Sharpy55

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Car punture repair kit gunge

Old 23-10-2016, 11:07   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Car punture repair kit gunge

I had a puncture yesterday and the manufactures do not supply a spare but they supply a puncture repair kit which is a compressor and a bottle of sealant which they say is only good for a few miles to get to have the tire replaced. I bottle of sealant is fitted to the supplied compressor which is supposed to pump it into the tire and then inflate the tire.
The sealant just leaked from the compressor so making useless.

Thank fully the manufacturers give full membership of the AA who are coming to replace the tire on Wednesday 27th, cost of the tire £83 ouch!

All donation s to my tire replacement gladly received.

The last time I had a puncture was about 50 years ago.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2016, 11:22   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Car punture repair kit gunge

I have the same issue with no spare on my Colt. They (Mitsubishi) do provide an aerosol reinflator and sealer. It's like Finelec that motorcyclists keep with them. Worth getting a can for next time.
Old 23-10-2016, 11:30   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I have the same issue with no spare on my Colt. They (Mitsubishi) do provide an aerosol reinflator and sealer. It's like Finelec that motorcyclists keep with them. Worth getting a can for next time.

I am sure that you are correct. In my case the sealant is leaking out of the compressor which I am sure it should not. When the tire has been replaced I will go back to the car dealer as it is still under the manufacture's new car warrantee. The car is just 1 month old.
Old 23-10-2016, 11:54   #4
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never trust a car with only tyre sealant and no spare. There's no guarantee the sealant (even if you can get it in to the tyre at all) will fix the puncture, and you're then stuck wherever you are waiting for the breakdown services. Also, the foam essentially writes off the tyre, so you have to buy a new one rather than getting it repaired.

I've had maybe two or three punctures in 12 years of driving, but they were all ones that no sealer would have fixed and happened in places with no mobile signal and a long walk for help.

I've also stopped to help others in a similar situation. The worst was a foreign couple on a Scottish mountainside. It was wet, no mobile signal and they'd hit the wheel on their rented Focus and holed the sidewall of the tyre. The car had a spare wheel, but either someone had stolen the wheelbrace/"spanner" thing, or the rental co had taken it out. Luckily the one from my Rover fitted and I got them going again.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 11:56   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My sisters Series 1 BMW has no spare & run flat tyres
Old 23-10-2016, 12:01   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

The Colt does have a small spare wheel bay so I might look into getting a skinny get-you-home spare. The only puncture I've ever had was a giant nail, in through the tread and out through the sidewall. Flat in minutes. No way to fix that.
Old 23-10-2016, 12:12   #7
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
The Colt does have a small spare wheel bay so I might look into getting a skinny get-you-home spare. The only puncture I've ever had was a giant nail, in through the tread and out through the sidewall. Flat in minutes. No way to fix that.
Spacesavers are OK, and much better than gunge. My folks bought a 3 year old fiesta and that didn't have a spare. Luckily for them I'd paid a tenner for a full size spare for my 10 year old Focus, and the skinny spacesaver from that bolts up to their car very nicely
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 12:20   #8
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Spacesavers are OK, and much better than gunge. My folks bought a 3 year old fiesta and that didn't have a spare. Luckily for them I'd paid a tenner for a full size spare for my 10 year old Focus, and the skinny spacesaver from that bolts up to their car very nicely

I must agree with you there, I am looking into a space saver wheel, Vauxhall quoted £210 plus the cost of the tire now that hast to be a joke price!

All I need is a space saver rim and a tire, I have looked on eBay but I cannot see one for my size which is a 15" rim.
Old 23-10-2016, 13:12   #9
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Scrap yard Ken?
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 14:44   #10
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Scrap yard Ken?

That is what I was thinking of checking out.
Old 23-10-2016, 14:50   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
That is what I was thinking of checking out.
There's an on-line breakers service link here They have an inventory from all the breakers that are members and can deliver to your door. I got a replacement headlamp unit with bulbs for £25 for the Metty a while ago.
Old 23-10-2016, 15:31   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I see people doing 70+ on the motorway with spacesaver tyres, despite the fact it has a label stating don't go over 50mph.
Old 23-10-2016, 16:31   #13
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Try Ebay for a space saver wheel. Got one for Osem Jnr's car last year for about £65, including a jack. Wheel and tyre looked unused.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 16:40   #14
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

£83 for a tyre is cheap !!!

Manufacturers have moved to this due to the fact it improves emissions/mpg figures
Old 23-10-2016, 17:59   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

£83, I pay around £150.