Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2008, 11:32   #3781
flashpaul
Inactive

flashpaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Excellent Phorm shares have dropped 15% today already

Lets keep the pressure on !
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2008, 11:40   #3782
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
A simple question from the perspective of someone who is not on one of the three ISPs, but who runs a website:

Will Phorm result in increased traffic on my website when visited by users from the three ISPs who are opted in to Phorm?
Impact on your web site in traffic terms is likely to be small.

However, given their current statements, you may see a significant increase in requests for robots.txt (because Phorm will need to query this file for every browser who accesses your site, and is unlikely to cache it for future reference, given the number of web sites on the internet). Contrast with Google; Google will query robots.txt then ignore the rest of your site for days.

In operational terms, if your site includes application driven content (like a CMS, shop, or eCommerce app) you are likely to see higher latency on first connection, and lower end to end reliability and performance.

In copyright terms, the effort you expend designing, organising, gathering, optimising, authoring and editing content will be used by Phorm to target advertising... to benefit your lazier competitors.

Pete.
Old 17-04-2008, 11:41   #3783
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

Phorm is down 16.81% so far today

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...&timeframe=480
Old 17-04-2008, 11:45   #3784
jca111
Inactive

jca111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wooh - Ha! Back from Hols and all refreshed. How are we all? Would have loved to go to that meeting tho, but things always seem to clash - my first hols in two years - and it clashed!

Thanks Alex - just seen all the work that you have done, and glad Click have got hold of you. They (Dan) phoned me - and I was away and suggested they look at this forum to find people they could talk to as I was away.

Just seen the iii website - another 16% off the share price this morning. Seems like people are getting cold feet.
Old 17-04-2008, 11:48   #3785
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point

I have now watched every video,and after I have got something to eat & drin, I willwatch it again, as there are a few points I would like to make, and of course, there is always the contradictions that Kent likes so much, so I shall have my notepad & pencil at the ready andI will be back later with the points I picked out.

Nice work Captain
Old 17-04-2008, 11:50   #3786
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpaul View Post
Excellent Phorm shares have dropped 15% today already

Lets keep the pressure on !
We need to look out for the big volumes being sold, like the trade yesterday.

I would love to see it go below 1000 by the end of the week.
Old 17-04-2008, 11:58   #3787
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Is the video online then? I can't find it anywhere. 8020 has no links.
Old 17-04-2008, 12:02   #3788
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
We need to look out for the big volumes being sold, like the trade yesterday.

I would love to see it go below 1000 by the end of the week.
Two big sales at 11.39 and 11.42 wiping another 50K off them
Old 17-04-2008, 12:05   #3789
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...l#post34530525
for the Capt Jamie Hunter video fest
Old 17-04-2008, 12:10   #3790
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Is the video online then? I can't find it anywhere. 8020 has no links.
My analysis and links to the footage are here. The monthly bandwidth is taking a real hammering - they've only been up 12 hours and already it's hitting 50 per cent! A backup account is currently being prepared
Old 17-04-2008, 12:19   #3791
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

you could make a torrent of it and find a server to take it from or use the Vuse/Azureus upload user content is probably the better long term option!
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
Old 17-04-2008, 12:23   #3792
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Two big sales at 11.39 and 11.42 wiping another 50K off them
that would be nice

but on the other hand i wouldnt like to see them go bust before a prosecution if its possible

i would like to see this sort of thing declared illegal in court so they or others cant come back in a diferent guise
Old 17-04-2008, 12:24   #3793
popper
Inactive

you might also find a way to make use of this too, but its getting some bad press due to it not feeding back the torrent when finished, and its not clear if its good for the general use.

it seems to be ok for grabing large files for mirroring to other places though so take a look anyway perhaps and report back

http://torrentfreak.com/imageshack-bitorrent-080405/
Old 17-04-2008, 12:27   #3794
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I'm about to email Viviane Reding, the European Comissioner for Information, informing her of the latest developments. I'll also ask if she could put something on the newsroom section of her site regarding the response she gave to Oar Wellian.

http://ec.europa.eu/commission_barro...g/index_en.htm
Old 17-04-2008, 12:29   #3795
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Regarding the share price, even if it drops to a few pence, it does not put them out of business. They have plenty of money in the bank.

It does, however, limit their ability to raise more money, and the publicity is not too bright either. It's a shame really that they have just raised £32M.

Shareholders might want a new CEO and business model though!
Closed Thread