Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recommend me a router with built in print server please!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recommend me a router with built in print server please!

Old 29-06-2009, 20:35   #1
Wallace
cf.addict

Services: VM 200M
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Question Recommend me a router with built in print server please!

Now SWMBO has got her own laptop, I am finding it really awkward when it comes to printing.

I currently use a Belkin Print Server but TBH it's a bit of a faff. Each user has to manually connect to the printer before they can print, fair enough. If someone else on the network wants to print something then they have to ask the person connected to release the printer. It is possible to configure the Belkin to auto release, but this is of little use to us. It would be ideal if there was a system where as there was no need to manually connect to the printer, you just print from anywhere in the network and away you go.

I am also having difficulties with the server program itself. Both PC's are running Vista Home Premium, but there is a 50-50 chance that a program called ServoApp fails to load correctly on either PC at startup. This makes the whole print server setup useless and the only cure is a reboot - or so I have found.

Now, I know that you can buy a printer that has a wireless connection built in these days, but my current printer is working very well and I am loathe to change it at the moment.

Wireless connectivity (for the printer at least) is not required as it is sited next to the existing router so a direct ethernet connection will do.

Am I correct in thinking that if I get a router with a built in print server I can connect my existing USB printer directly to it and then print from anywhere in my home network? Also, would each PC user have to connect to the printer each time they wanted to print something or would the whole printing process be transparent?

Could any one recommend a good quality router (with wireless) that has the PS capability and is Vista compatable please?

I am looking at the D-Link DIR-855 at the moment which is expensive but if it works then so be it as it has other benefits over my existing router. The D-Link info for the 855 states that you can connect USB printers to it and print from anywhere in the network. I have read other reviews that say it doesn't have in-built print server abilities. Am I missunderstanded something here?

Thanks for reading and I eagerly await you replies.

Thanks.

BTW. This has been posted elsewhere but without a response so please forgive me if you have read this before.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2009, 21:02   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: Recommend me a router with built in print server please!

The Netgear FWG114P is a good router with 4-port switch and USB printer server that works fine.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNa...s/FWG114P.aspx
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 21:29   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I'm after a router & server that can support multipe USB printers
Old 29-06-2009, 22:11   #4
Wallace
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
The Netgear FWG114P is a good router with 4-port switch and USB printer server that works fine.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNa...s/FWG114P.aspx
Hey, that's right on the mark...I think. Will the print server work OK with Vista? I can see that this model "has been around a while" and is pre-Vista.

Thanks very much for this.
Old 29-06-2009, 23:03   #5
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Hi Wallace,

Can you post the Belkin model number for the print server, if its the one I am thinking of there is a fix for this and shouldn't need the Belkin software installed, I have got a couple here at home.
Old 30-06-2009, 08:01   #6
Wallace
cf.addict

Matthew. Thanks for helping. It is a Belkin Wireless-G All-In-One Print Server, model number F1UP0002uk.

I hope you can help.

Thanks again.
Old 30-06-2009, 21:32   #7
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Thought it would be that one or the version below with 2 ports.

Uninstall the bit of software and its a pain but make a note of the IP that is displayed on the screen. Launch your web browser and type in the IP address i.e. http://192.168.2.15, it will prompt for a username and password, unless you changed it, to to TCP/IP and set a static address and save changes.

Now go to Printers & Faxes within control panel, right click it and go to properties, click ports, click add new, add a new standard TCP/IP port, click next, enter your IP address that you put into the print server earlier, click close, apply and ok. Do the same on each machine and you can print as and when needed.

It will work on Vista although the steps may be worded a little different for getting to printers and faxes in Vista, I cannot confirm these as I dont use it.

Any problems give me a shout. Hope this helps.
Old 30-06-2009, 22:55   #8
Wallace
cf.addict

Thanks Matthew. I will give it a try. I will let you know but it might be a couple of days. Cheers.

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Matthew. It nearly worked!

I already had it set to a static IP address. I uninstalled the software and rebooted the PC.

Added the port OK. Printer was showing as online in the control panel applet.

However, I tried to print the test page. It printed half of the sheet and then froze. The printer icon shows error. I don't seem to be able to delete the print job either.

What's happened?
Old 01-07-2009, 16:02   #9
Matthew
cf.mega poster

What operating system is that with Wallace?
Old 01-07-2009, 16:57   #10
Wallace
cf.addict

Vista Home Premium 32bit.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:34   #11
Wallace
cf.addict

Smile Re: Recommend me a router with built in print server please!

Thanks for you time Matthew but I have now purchased a network capable printer. It was considerably cheaper than buying a new router and in the long run, it is a better printer than my current one.
It is a HP C6380. It has USB, ethernet and wireless. It was a breeze to set up on both PC and laptop and prints without a problem (as far as I can tell in the short time I have owned it).
I have chosen not to install the 'full' software package that came with the printer, just the 'basic' drivers etc.
Although the 'full' set-up does offer some nice 'bells & whistles', I will simply install them if/when I find a need for them.

Thank you very much for taking the time to assist.

My Belkin PS is now being boxed up and put in the loft for a rainy day. Glad I got it a good price on eBay.

Regards.
Old 04-07-2009, 00:44   #12
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Not sure why it caused an error before.

Anyway glad you have got something working, if its the printer I think it is you have its a good machine, I know when I installed one at work I didnt install all the package and just the driver, well thats what I do most of the time anyway.
Old 11-07-2009, 23:15   #13
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I'm after a router & server that can support multiple USB printers
I didn't think such a thing would exist but I've just found a network print server that supports 4 USB printers - or even USB HDDs too. Once again, the web description is not as good as the paper version which says "USB Network Servers for NAS and Printers":
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?sku=CS1681701

Or here's another 4-port device that claims to support HDD, printers, webcams, flash drives or any other USB device.:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?sku=CS1700101
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 21:13   #14
Wallace
cf.addict

After I purchased a new network printer last week, my existing router failed. Most annoying.

So now I have a new router and a network printer.

Both have better functionality then there predecessors so all is well that ends well.