Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fibre without line rental?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Fibre without line rental?

Old 02-09-2015, 22:30   #1
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Fibre without line rental?

Hi, can I get a fibre connection but with no line rental charges?

I don't want a phone, nor do we want the TV, we want to cancel our big kahuna once the contract is up and just have the 152mb fibre connection so we can use a tv dongle & stream our media.

What options do we have with VM?
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2015, 22:43   #2
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Fibre without line rental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini View Post
Hi, can I get a fibre connection but with no line rental charges?

I don't want a phone, nor do we want the TV, we want to cancel our big kahuna once the contract is up and just have the 152mb fibre connection so we can use a tv dongle & stream our media.

What options do we have with VM?
http://store.virginmedia.com/broadba...u_click_bbonly

Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 22:44   #3
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Cheers - just the ticket (I couldn't find it when I looked).

Mind you, it's 3/4 of the price I pay for the big kahuna!
methinks I'll also look elsewhere.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 23:39   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini View Post
methinks I'll also look elsewhere.
All other providers will require line rental.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:28   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Its of course cheaper to take more than one service.

Also Ben is correct any other provider will reuire line rental of around £16,99 with ADSL/Fibre.

Why do you need 152Mb for streaming?

50Mb or 100Mb will easily do that also and remember speeds are doubling later this year.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:15   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Its of course cheaper to take more than one service.

Also Ben is correct any other provider will reuire line rental of around £16,99 with ADSL/Fibre.

Why do you need 152Mb for streaming?

50Mb or 100Mb will easily do that also and remember speeds are doubling later this year.
Guess it depends on how many connected devices he has at home and what they are being used for.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:13   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Guess it depends on how many connected devices he has at home and what they are being used for.
Even then, 50Mbps is enough for at least 4 full-HD streams or two 4K's.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:35   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Good point.

Sigh ... wish I had the first hand experience of that ... we're still stuck with a copper line that is only now giving us (almost) 3Mb, after months of work by Openreach tracking down dodgy joints in our very long line.
Old 04-09-2015, 15:23   #9
linwelin
cf.addict

linwelin is on a distinguished roadlinwelin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Depends if he wants the upstream.
linwelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 15:31   #10
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Good point.

Sigh ... wish I had the first hand experience of that ... we're still stuck with a copper line that is only now giving us (almost) 3Mb, after months of work by Openreach tracking down dodgy joints in our very long line.
Location, location, location.

Not all that long ago I was getting 1.3Mb in a suburb of the UK's 3rd city.
Old 04-09-2015, 16:16   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Indeed.

Our exchange is actually due for subsidised installation of Infinity fibre late next year, but given that we are connected direct to the exchange via 8km of copper it's going to be precious little use to us. Only a few premises within the village where the exchange is located are likely to benefit.

I'm hoping they may at least disconnect our line from the exchange and terminate it at a fibre cabinet in the centre of the village instead - that will reduce our line length by at least a km, maybe a little more.</offtopic>
Old 04-09-2015, 16:35   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Our exchange is actually due for subsidised installation of Infinity fibre late next year, but given that we are connected direct to the exchange via 8km of copper it's going to be precious little use to us. Only a few premises within the village where the exchange is located are likely to benefit.
My manager's living in the middle of nowhere in rural Scotland and was surprised to get FTTC recently too. New cabs being subsidised in a lot of EO places too.

Quote:
I'm hoping they may at least disconnect our line from the exchange and terminate it at a fibre cabinet in the centre of the village instead - that will reduce our line length by at least a km, maybe a little more.</offtopic>
Possibly. There's a database somewhere that has detailed per-line information including whether or not a BDUK-subsidized EO line rerouting/conversion is planned. Ignition's quoted information from it before so he may have access. I was lucky enough to have my ~2km line direct to the exchange rerouted to a cab 50m away.
Old 04-09-2015, 17:37   #13
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Sadly it wouldn't help you in any way.

Your line wouldn't be terminated at that cabinet it would go on to the exchange unless you ordered FTTC.

If you ordered FTTC your order would be rejected as you are too far from the cabinet to get a signal over that technology.

If Openreach deployed ADSL / ADSL 2 from cabinet it wouldn't help you either. They have to do things with power masks to avoid drowning out broadband from the exchange.

You wouldn't even get a land line now if your property were built today. If you are getting over 2Mb you won't be a priority, that's the lower limit under the universal service commitment. Your only option for faster is probably satellite.
Old 04-09-2015, 21:23   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
You wouldn't even get a land line now if your property were built today.
What happened to the universal service obligation?
Old 05-09-2015, 00:22   #15
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
What happened to the universal service obligation?
Quote:
Where installation of a new line costs £3400 or less, BT sets a standard charge. Where installation will cost over £3400, BT requires the customer to pay the excess costs (plus its standard connection charge).