Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 02-02-2012, 14:36   #136
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I currently have Sky+HD with Sky World , ESPN , 9mb unlimited BB , Sky Talk with free evening and weekend calls totalling £92.00 on Sky site during the NFL/NCAA offseason I save 9.00 dropping to £83.00 included with this I get Sky 3D , Sky Anytime+ , Sky Sports F1 HD and Sky Go.

Building a bundle of 10mb BB , XL TV , L Phone , Sky Sports and Movies with Premium HD currently quotes me 97.50 but that's with TIVO fee still saying £3.00 so will rise to £99.50
In fairness, if you take the premium Sky channels then Sky are the cheaper option - and what I posted earlier should refer to some, and not all cases. Each company offers a slightly different product and each is capable of coming out on top depending on the individual needs of the customer.

You are, however, lucky enough to get decent speeds from your exchange, whereas I need cable to get anything remotely approaching decent, and I'm much more interested in on demand content than I am in paying for premium channels. Even with the price increases I'm still paying less than I would with Sky, and more to the point I'm getting exactly what I want rather than an approximation of it.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2012, 14:57   #137
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
erm, Sky prices will be rising in September, I am sure.
No doubt but least they see something for they dont bt+skys services are moving forward and vm's seems to be going backward

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Interesting but then that has to be weighed against a far superior VOD service from Virgin and a superior and faster broadband network and and on top of that there is also the yet to be fulfilled potential of the Tivo which hopefully soon will start fulfilling its huge potential.
Was a far superior vod service,thats starting to look old and worn.sky's is catching up rapid
howardmicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:59   #138
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
No doubt but least they see something for they dont bt+skys services are moving forward and vm's seems to be going backward
Sorry howard but l think Virgins offerings has improved beyond all recognition compared to 3 years ago and l expect it to improve again in fthe coming months.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Was a far superior vod service,thats starting to look old and worn.sky's is catching up rapid
No Sky's VOD still a lap behind.
Old 02-02-2012, 15:07   #139
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Really hope yer right denphone,i would hate to have to go back to sky but tv needs a vast improvement and tivo needs some backing and more reliability
howardmicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:32   #140
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Cable & Wireless split into Cable & Wireless Communications (Intenational Telecom provider) and Cable & Wirless Worldwide (communication networks and services)

Cable & Wireless Communications (which provides Telecom services in Panama, Macau, Caribbean, Maldives the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) is doing well

Cable & Wirless Worldwide (who provide communication networks and services to businesses worldwide) is not doing so well

They were in the Telcoms/Cable business (Mercury Communications/Cable & Wirless Communications) form 1984 to the late 1990s (when it was bought by NTL)

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

What about Canal Plus for the Channel Islands, or even Virgin Media and UPC!
There is no Virgin Media or Cable tv on the islands. There was something called Newtel in Jersey but dunno if that is still going.

But it's up to people in those countries to do something about it. Like I said those islands are like Canada to the UK, nothing but the queens head on the money.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:34   #141
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
and on top of that there is also the yet to be fulfilled potential of the Tivo which hopefully soon will start fulfilling its huge potential.
They have had a long time since launch to do that, and all we've got is a few paltry apps.

Why is it taking so long to enable multi room streaming, which will be a big USP over Sky.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:35   #142
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
There is no Virgin Media or Cable tv on the islands. There was something called Newtel in Jersey but dunno if that is still going.
I am suggesting that Virgin Media should launch on the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man to compete with Sky
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:36   #143
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Why is it taking so long to enable multi room streaming, which will be a big USP over Sky.
At a guess, it's because the technical aspect on the TiVo STB is only one part. Virgin Media also need to be able to support it, and if it's an official product, provide appropriate hardware
Old 02-02-2012, 15:37   #144
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
At a guess, it's because the technical aspect on the TiVo STB is only one part. Virgin Media also need to be able to support it, and if it's an official product, provide appropriate hardware
The sooner we get multi-room streaming the better
Old 02-02-2012, 15:49   #145
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
They have had a long time since launch to do that, and all we've got is a few paltry apps.

Already in testing I believe
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...6&postcount=13
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:50   #146
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Any news on Virgin TIVO multi-streaming?
Old 02-02-2012, 15:58   #147
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
I am suggesting that Virgin Media should launch on the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man to compete with Sky
haha Virgin Media can't dig up in Westminster, I very much doubt they will be able to dig up a small island like Guernsey and it will never make a profit, Cable and Wireless could make it worthwhile though by using existing telegraph poles ect.... Alderney has a very small population and would be quite costly.

And the subject of this thread is about TV prices going up, If they expand to those islands, then we will have even more price increases to pay for that, like we don't already support them countries enough as it is, and they are not part of the UK, so you might as well say, why doesn't Virgin Media expand into France or Spain? All those Islands seem more foreign to me than the Republic of Ireland to me
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:00   #148
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Yes l agree that multi room streaming will be a great function to have and the sooner it comes the more it will be to Virgins advantage and to the detriment of Sky.
Old 02-02-2012, 16:03   #149
Rivva
Inactive

Services: Virgin: XL TV inc V+ Box - M Phone - L Broadband.
Rivva is an unknown quantity at this point

If we weren't to have the extra BB speed that's been recently announced/promised, I don't think there'd have been a TV price increase. But that's just my opinion.
Rivva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:06   #150
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivva View Post
If we weren't to have the extra BB speed that's been recently announced/promised, I don't think there'd have been a TV price increase. But that's just my opinion.
The sale of Virgin Media Television channels (Bravo Virgin 1 etc) is paying for the upgrades according to VM.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote