Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One of a thousand

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

One of a thousand

Old 07-02-2011, 17:41   #256
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: One of a thousand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Hi, thanks for the call earlier

A few questions to follow up if I may... why were only some of the Series 1 owners contacted? What are the contractual reasons? I've had a S1 box since 2001 and have been paying Tivo £10/m sub since. If there's an agreement between you and Tivo then surely all Series 1 owners should have been offered an install with no activation fee.

Also when I asked you said the 1000 boxes going out were the last of them until the March/April launch and that no more calls would be going out for installs until then, yet some of the staff on the forum that work closely with the TV side of things are saying calls will carry on to all pre-reg customers.

It just seems to me no one really knows what's going on.
I do not work for Virgin in any way,shape or form (i am a baker), Just quoting from the email that i received from the executive directors office
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2011, 17:41   #257
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
And Virgin made this clear, where?

A message saying something like, 'you will be one of the first to get TIVO' seems pretty clear to me. There was no mention of TIVO S1 users, who weren't even Virgin subscribers being offered it or a random 1000 users getting it first.
Exactly one of the first, not THE first customers.

Its a great way of marketing, giving it to existing TiVo S1 users and also selecting 1000 special customers to get the service for free. Experienced TiVo users will know how to work it and 1000 some of which might know nothing about TiVo, but by giving them it at no cost they will use it and see how good it is and tell others about it. Genius.

Its the same reason they started with 500 staff first. To build up interest and be able to have their staff tell everyone else how great the service is, will be one of the best things VM could do

By registering your interest they know you want TiVo and will get you installed before any new customers can sign up for the service.
Old 07-02-2011, 17:43   #258
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
I do not work for Virgin in any way,shape or form (i am a baker), Just quoting from the email that i received from the executive directors office
Ooops, ok sorry
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:59   #259
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Some more info on Amazons streaming service.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...849211816.html
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:04   #260
tigga69
Inactive

tigga69 is on a distinguished roadtigga69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
actually i would like to think my views would be no different ... but obviously cant say for certain as i wasnt one of the 1000

i stand by my views .. everyone on the same package should get the same service at the same rate with only long term customers rewarded for loyalty ( im not that long termer myself only 3 years on VIP )

everyone should be offered the same deal on the same package although the lucky 1000 "testers" should be entitled to a little extra ...

my gripe is how they chose the 1000 and the fact they did this after the registration and picked peeps who didnt register therefore relegating peeps who did register down the queue. Forgive me for thinking the purpose of registering meant the customer gained a slight benefit ahead of those that didnt but i thought that was the whole principle of registering ????

anyway i will take no further part in this thread as i dont wish to derail it with my opinions which are apparently deamed wrong by all VM employees
you are entitled to your opinion, but the registration process is for sales enquires and the 1000 selected is for ensuring the rollout runs smoothly and they can deliver the best customer experience. Two different things and most certainly two different teams in the business and they are working from different lists.

Be honest why are you really griping... its because you were not one of the 1000 and you want something for nothing. You want a free box and you don't understand why you can't have one and these other people have been selected and not you.

Sad thing is, you won't ever know why! So if you can't change it, why not let go of it. Its not going to change, you're not going to be added to this 1000, so forget about it. If you really are that dissatisfied, vote with your feet and switch to Sky or BT or whoever... Oh you won’t because really you like the cable broadband because it is great and you love the idea of TIVO because it is great. Alternatively find out who to speak with at VM, provide them with constructive feedback and you might get a call to air your views. The latter has worked for me on several occasions.

We have been told the sample was random, people are speculating on the forum it isn't. Why can't we trust the integrity of powers that be in VM rather than people on a forum who don't know but are speculating.

They have said the only accurate information is what 'they' have published. You don't have details of specifics on individual cases being discussed on the forums and the rational behind any actions because people are bound by NDAs and VM haven't made any official statement.

They have said more will be communicated later this month. Lets wait and see... personally, I am intrigued to see what they have to say next.
tigga69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:06   #261
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Ooops, ok sorry
I know that my username makes it seem like that i would work in the office
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:08   #262
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Exactly one of the first, not THE first customers.

Its a great way of marketing, giving it to existing TiVo S1 users and also selecting 1000 special customers to get the service for free. Experienced TiVo users will know how to work it and 1000 some of which might know nothing about TiVo, but by giving them it at no cost they will use it and see how good it is and tell others about it. Genius.

Its the same reason they started with 500 staff first. To build up interest and be able to have their staff tell everyone else how great the service is, will be one of the best things VM could do

By registering your interest they know you want TiVo and will get you installed before any new customers can sign up for the service.
Ii didn't say I wanted to be the first.

Quote:
Experienced TiVo users will know how to work it
Unless it's rocket science, which it isn't, I think us non S1 users will cope! Therefore that is not a valid reason to send the first one to S1 ussers. The Executive director has said it's nothing to do with that anyway, it's for contractural reasons

I guess you work for Virgin, so you obviosly think they way they've done it is brilliant. Sadly, on this forum, no Virgin staff member seems to think Virgin ever do anything wrong; kinda crazy, as no organisation is perfect.

Virgin have been very bad at saying what is going on. If they'd said upfront there would be a thousand given away, then that would have been a promotion; without saying it upfront, it is a lukewarm promotion at best and just irritates loyal customers who are excited about TIVO and registered and are confused about the fact that non Virgin customers are being offered it when they were told they'd be one of the first.

If they wanted excited word of mouth promotion, who better than new TIVO owners, who've had there PVR functionality vastly improoved? Fresh enthusiasm will promote it.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:21   #263
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Quote:

Virgin have been very bad at saying what is going on. If they'd said upfront there would be a thousand given away, then that would have been a promotion; without saying it upfront, it is a lukewarm promotion at best and just irritates loyal customers who are excited about TIVO and registered and are confused about the fact that non Virgin customers are being offered it when they were told they'd be one of the first.

If they wanted excited word of mouth promotion, who better than new TIVO owners, who've had there PVR functionality vastly improoved? Fresh enthusiasm will promote it.
It's been said above the S1 Tivo user were contacted for contractual reasons and the 1000 users are not a promotion but a beta test of the national roll out.

To do a proper beta test you need a random sample of customers, not select them from a group of people who have pre-registered.

There is no reason to believe that people who have pre-registered will not be the first once the national roll out begins.

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:26   #264
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
It's been said above the S1 Tivo user were contacted for contractual reasons and the 1000 users are not a promotion but a beta test of the national roll out.
I'd love to know what these contractual reasons are, since VM have now frozen the rollout* until full release in April and there are plenty of S1 owners who registered and weren't contacted.

* http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...49#post8366149
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:29   #265
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
I'd love to know what these contractual reasons are, since VM have now frozen the rollout* until full release in April and there are plenty of S1 owners who registered and weren't contacted.

* http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...49#post8366149
It would be between VM and TiVo, so you are unlikely to find out.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:30   #266
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

I keep seeing this contractual agreement talk yet loads of S1 owners including myself haven't been contacted so I'm not sure what this agreement was. And yes I filled in 3 forms and am a VIP50 customer.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:38   #267
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

There might be more than a 1000 of you....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:39   #268
tigga69
Inactive

tigga69 is on a distinguished roadtigga69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And Virgin made this clear, where?

A message saying something like, 'you will be one of the first to get TIVO' seems pretty clear to me. There was no mention of TIVO S1 users, who weren't even Virgin subscribers being offered it or a random 1000 users getting it first.

You ever spoken to a marketing department and compared what they say, sales say and technical say... its isn't always the same, they have differences in the meaning of words they use.

The quote is almost certainly from the marketing team and no-one thought through the implication of the statement and put is some small print to explain the exceptions. Why, because noone told them there are 'people' who get the box early!

If you have a problem with VM and what they have done, go speak to them about it. Oddly they are approachable and are willing to discuss. It might enlighten you a little to ask them about your issues.

I suspect VM probably agree the communication has been poor; but they will live with it. Why... VM have just done what lots of us wanted, they have created a TIVO box for the UK and we all want it.

In a years’ time TIVO will be established in the market again and this thread will be forgotten about. You will either have a TIVO or you won’t and the sun will still spin around the world !!!! so put things into perspective.

And yes I can be more condescending if you want me to be.
tigga69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:45   #269
bengeo
cf.member

Services: VIP 50, Tivo 1Tb, Tivo 500Gb, V HD
bengeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigga69 View Post
... and the sun will still spin around the world !!!!
Now I'm really getting worried!!!
bengeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 19:09   #270
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigga69 View Post

And yes I can be more condescending if you want me to be.
You're doing fine as you are!

I'm wondering if you understand forums like this?

Yes, it's a little crazy to go on about not getting TIVO ASAP. Most of us know that the world won't end if we don't get it 'till April. But these forums have many enthusiasts, who love their 'boys toys' and do want them ASAP. We get excited about new equipment. That's not logical to those who don't have the same interest/enthusiasm about such things.

It's no different to being a kid who can't wait for Christmas to arrive to get his new toys. And, TBH I think it's a little sad if there isn't something (whatever it is) in a persons life that does get them excited like a little kid.

Forums like this give us chance to moan when 'Santa' Doesn't seem to know when Christmas is!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote