Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1
Closed Thread

Old 13-02-2012, 15:10   #1306
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road
Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l just think there is a lot more involved in bringing apps to the Tivo then people think there is as its not like going from A to B and thats it but there is l suspect far more detail involved then meets the eye before we get them.
The apps are written in Actionscript (AS2). It's a fairly standard platform, not like the V+ Liberate boxes. Although who knows how difficult it is to get Virgin to agree to take an app onto the platform as its a highly closed walled garden.

Maybe the reason there isn't many apps, is that there isn't many TiVo's to target them at compared to other platforms?

If I was a development manager for a media outlet with finite resources (everyone in the world has to prioritize because of finite resources), I'd certainly be concentrating my resources on where I can obtain the most exposure, and work with other platforms with either less resource or as a lower priority.

So it could be apps are on the way, in development, but suffering from lower priorities/resource commitments. Meaning they are taking a long time.
Or it could be that people aren't developing them as they won't see a decent return on the effort invested.
Or it could be that Virgin are difficult to work with on getting apps into their app section
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2012, 15:40   #1307
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l expect the BBC apps and the Sky Sports apps to come soon enough.

It's the 'hundreds of apps' we're waiting for. A year on, where are they? Because they are now late.

At this rate, it will be quicker to wait for Youview!
Old 13-02-2012, 15:43   #1308
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
The apps are written in Actionscript (AS2). It's a fairly standard platform, not like the V+ Liberate boxes. Although who knows how difficult it is to get Virgin to agree to take an app onto the platform as its a highly closed walled garden.

Maybe the reason there isn't many apps, is that there isn't many TiVo's to target them at compared to other platforms?

If I was a development manager for a media outlet with finite resources (everyone in the world has to prioritize because of finite resources), I'd certainly be concentrating my resources on where I can obtain the most exposure, and work with other platforms with either less resource or as a lower priority.

So it could be apps are on the way, in development, but suffering from lower priorities/resource commitments. Meaning they are taking a long time.
Or it could be that people aren't developing them as they won't see a decent return on the effort invested.
Or it could be that Virgin are difficult to work with on getting apps into their app section

Well balanced and informative post,thanks
Old 13-02-2012, 15:51   #1309
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I get that if there were only a few Tivo's you'd spend your time designing apps for other things instead. But there aren't only a few. We're talking about a global platform with 2 million subscribers in the US alone.

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
It's the 'hundreds of apps' we're waiting for. A year on, where are they? Because they are now late.

At this rate, it will be quicker to wait for Youview!
Although looking at their website the only thing concrete on top of catch up already available to Virgin customers is see saw.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:05   #1310
Pster72
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Tivo VIP Package (Including Sky sports and Movies)
Pster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the rough

Just get everyone Sky Atlantic that will keep the punters happy what other channels do people want Premier Sports that says it all apart from the first channel mentioned theres not much quality out there apart from more HD
Old 15-02-2012, 11:45   #1311
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
They're in talks with love film and netflix with a view to launching apps on Tivo. Obviously the netflix app already exists is the states, Virgin want it and there's no obvious reason why netflix wouldn't want to open themselves up to even more subscribers, so it must be coming soon!

Or something.
Good grief was that IT???
Old 15-02-2012, 11:53   #1312
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

Why hasn't Filmflex got an app on tivo that would be good.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:25   #1313
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
Why hasn't Filmflex got an app on tivo that would be good.
With full length trailers and not the 10 second ones that give a small glimpse followed by "available now!"
Old 15-02-2012, 14:28   #1314
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster72 View Post
Just get everyone Sky Atlantic that will keep the punters happy what other channels do people want Premier Sports that says it all apart from the first channel mentioned theres not much quality out there apart from more HD
Well I`ve been with sky for about 5 months now and I can honestly say I could count on one hand the number of different programs I`ve watched on sky atlantic. I really don`t think it`s all that great at all. Your`e all falling for sky`s hype of the channel. I believe sky are relying on people leaving virgin for them because they want sky atlantic. Trust me guys you really aren`t missing anything special.
Old 15-02-2012, 14:39   #1315
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Well I`ve been with sky for about 5 months now and I can honestly say I could count on one hand the number of different programs I`ve watched on sky atlantic.
I've had Sky since launch - so had Sky Athlantic since it launched.

Must say you've found more on Sky Atlantic to watch then I have.
Old 15-02-2012, 14:55   #1316
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Well I`ve been with sky for about 5 months now and I can honestly say I could count on one hand the number of different programs I`ve watched on sky atlantic. I really don`t think it`s all that great at all. Your`e all falling for sky`s hype of the channel. I believe sky are relying on people leaving virgin for them because they want sky atlantic. Trust me guys you really aren`t missing anything special.
In your opinion that is , its not my top watched channel, that said it does have some decent shows , like most things its down to personal preference. In a world were multi channel TV is the norm it would be boring if we all watched the same , I don't for one minute think VM should overpay to get it but it's wrong to condemn something purely on your own tastes.
Old 15-02-2012, 15:18   #1317
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
, but it's wrong to condemn something purely on your own tastes.
Fully agree. I don't watch sports but I don't condemn the free sports package that comes with XL.
Old 15-02-2012, 15:23   #1318
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In your opinion that is , its not my top watched channel, that said it does have some decent shows , like most things its down to personal preference. In a world were multi channel TV is the norm it would be boring if we all watched the same , I don't for one minute think VM should overpay to get it but it's wrong to condemn something purely on your own tastes.
Well said .
Old 15-02-2012, 15:52   #1319
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Current TV to close March 11th

Click first result on link below
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Cur...&client=safari
Old 15-02-2012, 15:59   #1320
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Sad news for those that like documemtary style programming quite rightly they do not seem very happy this from Jane Mote currents MD stand out.

Mote said: “We were very close to finding a sustainable model but had an impossibly short amount of time given the late call by Sky on our funding.

“We totally accept it is Sky’s right to stop funding Current but we don’t accept the way that it was done, using out-dated inaccurate audience figures, or that we were given no warning before a sudden cut-off in funding just before Christmas, making a rescue plan unachievable.”

The way Sky do buisiness stinks sometimes on a number of levels.

Closed Thread