Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | server not recognised

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up a new e-mail account

Old 21-06-2008, 20:15   #1
stunt
Inactive

stunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting up a new e-mail account

I still have my original e-mail that was set up with Telewest, and I have had no call to add another. My wife has recently got a laptop and wants to send e-mails to an ex work colleague who emigrated to Australia, and I haven't got a clue how to add a new account. can anyone advise please. Also is it easy to alter these accounts to open with Outlook?
stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2008, 20:27   #2
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
Re: Setting up a new e-mail account

Copy https://selfcare.blueyonder.co.uk/ into your web browser.
Login with your original e-mail alias or username.
Click on E-mail and Dial-Up
Click on Add New Mailbox
It will ask you to create a password and confirm password, it should activate right away but can take a wee while.
http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...remailsoftware

The link will show you how to set up Outlook.

HTH
Mags
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 20:32   #3
stunt
Inactive

stunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers m8, thanks for that
stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 01:44   #4
moonwolf
Inactive

moonwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Setting up a new e-mail account - Question 2

Hi all,

I'm having a similar problem in that I can't set up an email account for my daughter. I've been with NTL for years (and still use my original account) but no matter how often I follow the link below I keep getting an error message:

"Help - Virgin Media" (link contained in 8: Congratulations << )
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/supp...l_account.html

error message:
HTTP Status 404 - Invalid path was requested
type Status report
message Invalid path was requested
description The requested resource (Invalid path was requested) is not available.

This has been going on for weeks but by sheer luck I found this forum - which I hope will hold some answers!
Can anyone tell me if there's another link for setting up new accounts?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
moonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 02:19   #5
homealone

Re: Setting up a new e-mail account - Question 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwolf View Post
Hi all,

I'm having a similar problem in that I can't set up an email account for my daughter. I've been with NTL for years (and still use my original account) but no matter how often I follow the link below I keep getting an error message:

error message:
type Status report
description The requested resource (Invalid path was requested) is not available.

This has been going on for weeks but by sheer luck I found this forum - which I hope will hold some answers!

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Hi Tom

I know it isn't strictly what you asked, but I would seriously recommend a third party email service, such as googlemail, rather than an ISP based address

Other than that, one guess is that your problem may be to do with logging in to the 'correct' links within VM - i.e. whether you are 'ex ntl' , 'ex telewest', etc ?
Old 28-06-2008, 11:00   #6
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles
Re: Setting up a new e-mail account - Question 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwolf View Post
Hi all,

error message:
type Status report

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Hi use this link below in moaningmags previous post as all Virginmedia customers are supposed to use this link now.

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
Copy https://selfcare.blueyonder.co.uk/ into your web browser.
Login with your original e-mail alias or username.
Click on E-mail and Dial-Up
Click on Add New Mailbox
It will ask you to create a password and confirm password, it should activate right away but can take a wee while.
http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...remailsoftware

The link will show you how to set up Outlook.

HTH
Mags
Use the selfcare link
Old 29-06-2008, 00:00   #7
moonwolf
Inactive

moonwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Setting up a new e-mail account

Thanks for the welcome and aslo the advice - it's very much appreciated.

Believe it or not but I did follow the links from 'moaningmags' but no matter what I did it wouldn't let me set up new accounts ..... then it hit me that maybe I should try logging in using my wife's email addy etc!! Turns out that she's the primary account holder ( ) but I was able to add/rename two new accounts and also delete two that are no longer used.

The moral of the story is: check who set up the first email account??
Anyhoo, problem solved!

Tom
moonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 01:08   #8
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Sorry, should have said about the primary, just made an assumption.
Glad you have it up and runnng now.

Mags
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 21:02   #9
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

Similar problem here with setting up a new .ntlworld.com email account to use with Outlook on an XP machine.

I HAVE done this before OK - must have, there are 6 email addresses listed under the primary email address account !! However, due to an outbreak of senior moments I have completely forgotten how to do it.

OK, so I get to Selfcare
Enter the new email address I would like to use
Select a password

- err, excuse me but I am not that senile. I remember that when I last set up an email account NTL "generated" a password for me and it was in the form s012345678 or the like. ALL of the past passwords were in that general format - they are all written on the wall in front of me now

However, disregarding my memory I enter a self-generated password, re-enter it as requested and make a note of the information as I complete the selfhelp requirements.

NOW when I go to outlook - tools - email accounts - select pop3

Then

Enter my name
the email address I have chosen
pop.ntlworld and smtp.ntlworld etc on the right hand side

And then
user name (self completes as the first part of the email address)
AND THEN THE PASSWORD THAT I CHOSE

BUT - this now will not work.
Normally the password entered is the ONE GENERATED BY NTL

How do I initiate that password generation by NTL????
Please !

Snodvan
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 18:43   #10
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodvan View Post
Similar problem here with setting up a new .ntlworld.com email account to use with Outlook on an XP machine.

I HAVE done this before OK - must have, there are 6 email addresses listed under the primary email address account !! However, due to an outbreak of senior moments I have completely forgotten how to do it.

OK, so I get to Selfcare
Enter the new email address I would like to use
Select a password

- err, excuse me but I am not that senile. I remember that when I last set up an email account NTL "generated" a password for me and it was in the form s012345678 or the like. ALL of the past passwords were in that general format - they are all written on the wall in front of me now

However, disregarding my memory I enter a self-generated password, re-enter it as requested and make a note of the information as I complete the selfhelp requirements.

NOW when I go to outlook - tools - email accounts - select pop3

Then

Enter my name
the email address I have chosen
pop.ntlworld and smtp.ntlworld etc on the right hand side

And then
user name (self completes as the first part of the email address)
AND THEN THE PASSWORD THAT I CHOSE

BUT - this now will not work.
Normally the password entered is the ONE GENERATED BY NTL

How do I initiate that password generation by NTL????
Please !

Snodvan
All emails addresses now use https://selfcare.blueyonder.co.uk/IIPSCVM/ and you make up your own password as this is the only format now available.

Here is a link for setting up a NTL Outlook Express email account just click next in the bottom right corner.

NTL
@ntlworld.com settings guide
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/supp..._to_oe_xp.html
Old 16-09-2008, 21:07   #11
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

Tech Support

Thank you

Computer systems never cease to amaze / baffle me

I know I was correct in that the system USED to be that a password was generated for you. OK, so now you can select your own

I went through all the account set up procedure as in Self Help a couple of days ago - and achieved nothing

Today it all worked perfectly !!!

Maybe you had a quiet word with the ISP computer. Whatever, thank you, I have the new Email address - AND I have written myself a Word file to tell me what to do next time

Thanks again

Snodvan
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 21:11   #12
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodvan View Post
Tech Support

Thank you

Computer systems never cease to amaze / baffle me

I know I was correct in that the system USED to be that a password was generated for you. OK, so now you can select your own

I went through all the account set up procedure as in Self Help a couple of days ago - and achieved nothing

Today it all worked perfectly !!!

Maybe you had a quiet word with the ISP computer. Whatever, thank you, I have the new Email address - AND I have written myself a Word file to tell me what to do next time

Thanks again

Snodvan
I am glad it works, and it is quite straightforward to use as well.