Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Online Safety Bill

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Online Safety Bill

Old 16-02-2024, 02:03   #256
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Online Safety Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
An idea so bad OB and I agree.

It's completely unenforceable at that level.

I don't support the idea - and I know it won't happen - but from a tech perspective the idea that manufacturers will develop different product lines for the under 16s of the UK is wild. In reality (if such a bad idea were to happen) it's giving big tech companies biometric data and having differentiated services available on the device depending on who is logged in.

The entire population won't sign up to that, nor sign their children up to that. I recognise that a significant proportion of the population (myself included) do use fingerprint or facial recognition to unlock devices but the idea it would become mandatory is quite objectionable.
I remember people on here saying that the Online Safety Act would never pass into law. I urged people to put their objections forward to the consultation, but only one person confirmed that they had done so.

I've no idea if the Online Safety Bill will be amended to take account of this, my salient point is that it has been the subject of discussion every day since the petition was started. Most petitions don't get this much attention or coverage.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2024, 02:12   #257
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I remember people on here saying that the Online Safety Act would never pass into law. I urged people to put their objections forward to the consultation, but only one person confirmed that they had done so.

I've no idea if the Online Safety Bill will be amended to take account of this, my salient point is that it has been the subject of discussion every day since the petition was started. Most petitions don't get this much attention or coverage.
The Online Safety Act that does what exactly? White noise in a void from a toothless regulator ill equipped to handle global platforms.

I'm not sure anyone stated it would never pass. However, it was massively watered down to get there to the point of irrelevance.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 03:01   #258
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The Online Safety Act that does what exactly? White noise in a void from a toothless regulator ill equipped to handle global platforms.

I'm not sure anyone stated it would never pass. However, it was massively watered down to get there to the point of irrelevance.
I only recall the legal but harmful provision being dropped (for adults, it still exists for children).

Ofcom is in the process of prioritising internet safety for children, other vulnerable groups will be dealt with after this is complete (but complaints can still be made now for investigation later).
Old 16-02-2024, 03:29   #259
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I only recall the legal but harmful provision being dropped (for adults, it still exists for children).

Ofcom is in the process of prioritising internet safety for children, other vulnerable groups will be dealt with after this is complete (but complaints can still be made now for investigation later).
And if Ofcom have a yawn, a fart of just feel a bit unsteady. How does that become the law of the land?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 12:40   #260
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
My scheme? What are you talking about?
It's not me that started the petition.

There was a phone in today and every parent and expert that rang in supported the idea, with some suggesting that U16's should only be allowed to have a basic/dumb phone.

Some seemed to think it's a good idea as it would restrict screen time as opposed to social media. Some thought that a better idea would be to ban U16's from social media instead.
I know you didn’t start this, Richard, but you certainly seemed to me to be promoting it, which is why I said ‘your scheme’.

It’s always possible for broadcasters to find a small minority who support something the vast number of people don’t. They do it all the time, particularly the BBC, which has lost all its credibility as far as I’m concerned.
Old 16-02-2024, 15:38   #261
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I know you didn’t start this, Richard, but you certainly seemed to me to be promoting it, which is why I said ‘your scheme’.

It’s always possible for broadcasters to find a small minority who support something the vast number of people don’t. They do it all the time, particularly the BBC, which has lost all its credibility as far as I’m concerned.
A variety of radio & TV broadcasters as well as newspapers have been covering this.

As i've already said, this won't affect me personally at all either way. My only interest in this is keeping abreast of developments intended to keep children safe online.
Old 16-02-2024, 16:12   #262
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
A variety of radio & TV broadcasters as well as newspapers have been covering this.

As i've already said, this won't affect me personally at all either way. My only interest in this is keeping abreast of developments intended to keep children safe online.
I think we all want to keep children safe, but this is not the way.
Old 16-02-2024, 16:17   #263
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Channel 5 had an item on the Jeremy Vain programme earlier about bereaved parents joining forces against online harm. It's shocking that online bullies have been allowed to bully both children and adults with their relentless harrassment that is purposely designed to belittle, upset and humiliate to the point of suicide.

Apparently, this is the subject of a current storyline in Coronation Street.
Old 16-02-2024, 17:50   #264
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Channel 5 had an item on the Jeremy Vain programme earlier about bereaved parents joining forces against online harm. It's shocking that online bullies have been allowed to bully both children and adults with their relentless harrassment that is purposely designed to belittle, upset and humiliate to the point of suicide.

Happy to be corrected but if it upsets you , can't you switch off/ block or just ignore it
Old 16-02-2024, 17:53   #265
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Before it was on line it was in the school yard or at work, they never managed to stop it there when they could see it going on, so how will this magic process work when they already know it can be circumnavigated by even the least technology minded user who just gets a vpn or buys a phone on ebay and swaps the sim in the "child phone" into the "adult phone". Lets face it phone companies will not make special phone for this they will just sell the same phone with different firmware and call it a "child phone". There could even be a blackmarket of "Adult phones for sale in school playgrounds by the local money savey kids .Then the child will go to a pc search for "how to route my child phone and update with adult firmware. I have a grandson who would be able to do that even if he is 8 years old. He's a clever lad already

My point is you put a child phone in the hands of a child and they will see it as a challenge to upgrade it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 20:16   #266
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

https://www.theregister.com/2024/02/...or_encryption/

Well well
Old 16-02-2024, 20:32   #267
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Indeed the supporters of forcing backdoors on providers will be crying in their hot milk.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 21:38   #268
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Before it was on line it was in the school yard or at work, they never managed to stop it there when they could see it going on, so how will this magic process work when they already know it can be circumnavigated by even the least technology minded user who just gets a vpn or buys a phone on ebay and swaps the sim in the "child phone" into the "adult phone". Lets face it phone companies will not make special phone for this they will just sell the same phone with different firmware and call it a "child phone". There could even be a blackmarket of "Adult phones for sale in school playgrounds by the local money savey kids .Then the child will go to a pc search for "how to route my child phone and update with adult firmware. I have a grandson who would be able to do that even if he is 8 years old. He's a clever lad already

My point is you put a child phone in the hands of a child and they will see it as a challenge to upgrade it.
Responsibile parents will do spot checks to check if this has been or is being done and apply appropriately sanctions for this behaviour.

For children of less responsibile parents who know how to circumvent the law and are prepared to be disobedient, I agree that it's unlikely they will be caught unless serious consequences arise as a result of their law breaking, where their phones will be forensically analysed.
Old 18-02-2024, 22:05   #269
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Responsibile parents will do spot checks to check if this has been or is being done and apply appropriately sanctions for this behaviour.

For children of less responsibile parents who know how to circumvent the law and are prepared to be disobedient, I agree that it's unlikely they will be caught unless serious consequences arise as a result of their law breaking, where their phones will be forensically analysed.
That's the post of the week even possibly the year. I'll be chuckling for days.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 23:26   #270
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Children who are prepared to be disobedient … perish the thought. I’ve never met one of those
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote