Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Talking Pictures TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Talking Pictures TV

Old 10-01-2016, 19:03   #1
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Talking Pictures TV

http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/

This seems like a great channel showing vintage British films. The Radio Times often recommends the films they show. Available on Freeview and Sky, but not Virgin. Why not ?

I've contacted Talking Pictures to find out why and the Managing Director kindly replied saying that 'it's up to Virgin'. They are making it available if VM want it. As its being shown free to air, there can't be much, if any, cost involved. There is a lack of film channels, outside the Sky premium ones, on VM's output.

I've asked this on VM's support forum, so hopefully I'll get a reply from someone in the know, rather than a bland 'we've no plans to'. Posted here aswell, as I might get a more informed response !

It's basically free and they're offering it.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2016, 19:10   #2
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS
Re: Talking Pictures TV

Probably same as SpikeTV, POP and others ... that are free to air on freeview, freesat and Sky...

VM seem to invest heavily in BB but very little in TV IMO, last big change was TiVo in 2010... that was an age ago...
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:18   #3
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

As i understand it there is a cost for Virgin to broadcast channels. Some channels such as shopping channels pay these fees in order to be listed on VM. Premium channels add value to the packages so Virgin make money that way by having some of the big names available as people will want to subscribe. As almost everybody who has VM should have access to Freeview by adding those channels brings little value to the VM package and will add running cost to VM. I am sure if Talking Pictures offered a fee to VM we would see the channel on VM.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:25   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

They are quick enough to up their prices though.....
Old 12-01-2016, 18:12   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
As i understand it there is a cost for Virgin to broadcast channels. Some channels such as shopping channels pay these fees in order to be listed on VM. Premium channels add value to the packages so Virgin make money that way by having some of the big names available as people will want to subscribe. As almost everybody who has VM should have access to Freeview by adding those channels brings little value to the VM package and will add running cost to VM. I am sure if Talking Pictures offered a fee to VM we would see the channel on VM.
So let me get this straight, channels pay to be on VM and we pay VM as well! Must look into shares in VM...

Still no response on the official forum. Reasons to stay with VM tv are less day by day, particularly when the opposition offer more and are free.
Old 12-01-2016, 18:42   #6
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
As almost everybody who has VM should have access to Freeview by adding those channels brings little value to the VM package and will add running cost to VM.
There is always the risk that if I switch to a Freeview channel I'm outside of Virgin, I might start thinking that if now I'm watching a Freeview channel, what other Freeview channels are available and is it worth paying VM for TV
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 22:37   #7
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

If I didn't watch live football like I love to do, I'd ditch Virgin in a heartbeat!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 05:39   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes £24 extra a month is a lot to cough up...
Old 01-02-2016, 22:14   #9
Mr K
Woke and proud !

I've had no response from VM, what a surprise ! Another example of the contempt and complacency they have for their customers. I have managed to access Talking Pictures through Freeview (very good it is too, with rarely shown films), but of course can't use Tivo to record it.

They really are letting the TV service go down the pan. As well as not offering many channels that others provide for free, they've let Sky steal a march on them on the TV box front. Maybe they're going to sell it off and concentrate on broadband . Hopefully they'll sell it to Sky then we'll be offered a decent box, with all channels available !
Old 02-02-2016, 18:23   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I've had no response from VM, what a surprise ! Another example of the contempt and complacency they have for their customers. I have managed to access Talking Pictures through Freeview (very good it is too, with rarely shown films), but of course can't use Tivo to record it.

They really are letting the TV service go down the pan. As well as not offering many channels that others provide for free, they've let Sky steal a march on them on the TV box front. Maybe they're going to sell it off and concentrate on broadband . Hopefully they'll sell it to Sky then we'll be offered a decent box, with all channels available !
I think we need to wait and see regarding the TV box. It looks likely that an all singing and dancing new fangled Tivo box will be coming out in the summer.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 15:34   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think we need to wait and see regarding the TV box. It looks likely that an all singing and dancing new fangled Tivo box will be coming out in the summer.
yes, very good, but will it have 'Talking Pictures ' on it !
Old 03-02-2016, 16:06   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The trouble is the fact that Tivo will be offering it does not mean Virgin will. Tivo have been offering superior boxes since 2014, and Virgin don't. Tivo also has a multi room/device system that, on the face of it at least, easily equals what Sky offers in their Q system, but Virgin don't offer that either.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 19:44   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Talking Pictures is now available on Freesat too.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:37   #14
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Talking Pictures is now available on Freesat too.
So that's Freeview, Sky and now Freesat. And no reply from VM to my enquiry. VM need more than a new box to revive their dying TV service.
Old 06-02-2016, 15:24   #15
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
So that's Freeview, Sky and now Freesat. And no reply from VM to my enquiry. VM need more than a new box to revive their dying TV service.
But they've just won the awards for 'Best TV Content' and 'Best TV Provider' for 2016.

In February of 2016.

So why would they want to boost their offerings?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote