Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 09-03-2014, 17:20   #136
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
My mudguard strut to my bike frame with a zip tie. Whoever invented them deserves a medal.
Agree. He/she has probably made more than enough money to mint their own medals.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2014, 10:29   #137
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Saturday morning, visitors due...

Vacuum cleaner stops working; food processor motor running, but rotor stops turning.

Vacuum cleaner: speed control board had died. Followed friend's suggestion ("what's the worst that could happen?") and bypassed it. Now OK.

Food processor: cooling fan had come loose and shifted the drive belt gear wheel up the shaft. Levered things apart, glued the fan to the gear wheel and hammered it back together. All good again.

And in a separate thread: Found and tested a cheap way to upgrade my oldish XP machine to Win 8.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 18:54   #138
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Painted outside window cills (10), brushed down garage outside walls with Jeyes fluid, cut the back lawn, raked up debris, hung out washing. My to do list is finally getting smaller. Now enjoying a large glass of wine.
Tinky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 19:31   #139
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Painted outside window cills (10), brushed down garage outside walls with Jeyes fluid, cut the back lawn, raked up debris, hung out washing. My to do list is finally getting smaller. Now enjoying a large glass of wine.
Well done that lady! Enjoy.
Old 04-04-2014, 15:41   #140
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Just replaced the main headlight bulb on a Renault Modus... 1 hour..

Loosening the bumper only on the side you are replacing the bulb x4 screws.

Remove inner wheel arch lining x4 plastic press studs button type.

Bend the plastic wing away a fraction.

Remove inner plastic light unit holder x2 screws

Unscrew headlight unit x2 bolts. Remove headlight unit ... pull off bulb holder.

Replace new bulb. Plug in the connector.

Reverse assembly. GO UP THE PUB AND HAVE A COUPLE OF PINTS.

The smaller the car bonnet length the harder it is to replace a bulb!!!!
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 16:06   #141
Osem
Inactive

Fixed our faulty outside PIR/halogen security light. Well when I say 'fixed', I replaced it with an LED version which isn't as bright but still does the trick. Running and fixing the conduit was the hardest part.
Old 08-04-2014, 19:00   #142
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Not exactly fixing but just finished cutting and working the body for my new guitar project (Telecaster/Strat Frankenstein jobby)

It's ready now for routing of the pickup cavities and drilling. I made the pickup templates ages ago for a different guitar... sod buying them from Stewmac.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 17:22   #143
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Not exactly fixing but just finished cutting and working the body for my new guitar project (Telecaster/Strat Frankenstein jobby)

It's ready now for routing of the pickup cavities and drilling. I made the pickup templates ages ago for a different guitar... sod buying them from Stewmac.
You should post some piccies.

I just fixed the wife's car. Well replaced the battery anyway. It failed a few months back but after an overnight charge seemed to be working ok until a few days ago when the car wouldn't start even after an overnight charge. £60 battery from Halfords with 4 years warranty seems to have done the trick even if it was a pain to fit.
Old 15-04-2014, 14:33   #144
richard s
Permanently Banned

richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

What car is it Osem.
Old 15-04-2014, 14:52   #145
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Solar LED strings in the garden. They are marked as "outdoor" but corrode very quickly (especially the battery contacts and the switches). Luckily I have fibreglass cleaning sticks.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 15:48   #146
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Is that on the metro? If so I can guess which bit it is (centre section to back box).

With firegum/gungum the best thing to do is once it dries a bit (say an hour) run the engine at idle for a while to heat the exhaust up and dry the paste out. If you managed to get shot of any loose rust and the rest of the pipe is good then it should last a while.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 20:49   #147
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
You should post some piccies.
I sure will over the weekend, just had a prep coat of Wudtone and drying in the workshop (my big shed where the wine lives )
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 20:51   #148
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

A moto g phone.... Nice
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 08:40   #149
richard s
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Solar LED strings in the garden. They are marked as "outdoor" but corrode very quickly (especially the battery contacts and the switches). Luckily I have fibreglass cleaning sticks.

One good tip I have discovered is to use silicon spray on the solar panel, this keeps it clean, algae free and more water resistant.
Old 16-04-2014, 09:49   #150
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
I sure will over the weekend, just had a prep coat of Wudtone and drying in the workshop (my big shed where the wine lives )
That sounds a very pleasant place...

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
A moto g phone.... Nice
You fixed one?? What was wrong with it?