Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are Smart Meters a good thing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Are Smart Meters a good thing?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:36   #16
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Are Smart Meters a good thing?

Do these meters allow the energy company to remotely turn your service off for none payment ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02   #17
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Do these meters allow the energy company to remotely turn your service off for none payment ?
Quote:
With a smart meter it will become technically possible to ‘remotely disconnect’ customers, ie this could be done at a distance, without visiting your home. However, Ofgem (the energy regulator), has introduced tough rules to make sure that energy suppliers have to follow a number of different steps if a customer is in debt, with disconnection only being used as a last resort.
http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/get-...mart-meters#B4
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:17   #18
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Well considering Ofgem is pretty much toothless and the energy companies ignore Ofgem all the time i can see that will be abused all the time. Bet you Npower will be the first to abuse it.

Quote:
These steps include:

reviewing the customer’s accounts to find out if there is any record of vulnerability in the household
reviewing written contact with the customer to make sure that: it is in plain English; the customer is encouraged to ask for help; and the customer is also directed towards independent sources of help
making multiple attempts to make personal contact with the customer in different ways and at different times of day
visiting the customer’s property at different times of day and looking for visual signs of vulnerability of anyone in the household
checking whether the property appears to be temporarily or permanently unoccupied
checking whether there has been a change of occupancy
Seems pretty easy for them to abuse if you ask me. Also looking at that document they can switch you to a prepayment meter at the press of a switch, they make loads more money from prepayment so i can see them abusing that as well.

Quote:
From 2014, smart meters will be able to switch between credit and prepayment mode. This will mean that if you want to change from a ‘credit meter’ to a ‘prepayment meter’, you won’t have to have the meter replaced. The energy supplier will be able to do it remotely.

Ofgem, the energy regulator, has published new rules to make sure that customers are only given a PPM if it is right for them. :
Having had a new meter installed this year i will resist having it changed for as long as i can.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:44   #19
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That's a big difference from being 'thrown out'.....
I know a couple of countries in the Finland/ Denmark area threw them out over privacy concerns but I can't find which two
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 15:23   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I know a couple of countries in the Finland/ Denmark area threw them out over privacy concerns but I can't find which two
Norway
Quote:
In Norway, the Smart grid priorities are partly driven by the regulator (e.g. the requirement in Norway to implement smart meters by 2019-01-01 and partly by new technologies and challenges such as distributed generation (e.g. small hydro, PV), adoption of electrical vehicles, new challenging electric devices such as induction stoves, fibre-to-home communication, smart phones etc.
Sweden
Quote:
100% Smart Meter roll-out in Sweden
Denmark
Quote:
The Danish Energy Agency has declared that all electricity meters must be remotely read by the end of 2020. This announcement and the ensuing roll-out of smart meters for the MV Group are the manifestation of the Danish Government's progressive Smart Grid Strategy [2013]. The strategy’s purpose is to make the grid intelligent and ready for the green transition.
Finland
Quote:
Switzerland’s Landis+Gyr has heralded progress on the rollout of smart meters in Finland, claiming smart meters have now been installed in 98% of the country’s households.

The figure makes Finland one of the most advanced countries in Europe in terms of its ability to meter electricity consumption at the residential level.
Landis+Gyr (Zug, Switzerland) claims to have delivered more than one million smart meters to a number of Finnish energy companies, which equates to one meter for every third Finnish household (there are approximately 3.2 million metering points in Finland).

It has also been involved in managing old and new meters, systems installation and integration and comprehensive field-testing.
The progress report indicates that Finland is well ahead of smart metering targets, with legislation introduced in 2009 requiring 80% of households to have smart meters installed by the start of 2014.
That leaves Iceland, with it's population of just over 300k - I can't find anything regarding smart metering for them.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 15:31   #21
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
My problem with smart meters is they're trying to be too smart. All the metering/supply company needs to know is how much electricity you've used for billing purposes. I wouldn't mind that being relayed back via powerline networking or the meter's own mobile connection (if available). I'd grudgingly accept a connection to my broadband, but only if I was to have full control of the meter's networking settings. The problem is that if meters are to have a remote disconnection facility then it MUST be secured (and I mean properly secured against internal and external cracking)and ONLY available to specific persons within a metering/supply company (I'm thinking names, senior persons, not Joe Bloggs in a callcentre). Also, I foresee that the meters will be capable of "demand management", or put simply, remote managed powercuts when our coal fired power stations are shut down (down to individual house levels), or you'd find the oven wouldn't power up at 6pm because everyone else in the street got there before you...
My friend has a British Gas Smart Meter and he dose not have broadband, it seems that the Smart Meter has it's on mobile connection.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 18:48   #22
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Could this be the next big thing. We had cable box chipping, now Sat card sharing, next meter hacking. you get some dodgy guy down the pub to come and hack your meters software

Old 03-08-2014, 21:19   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Quote:
With a smart meter it will become technically possible to ‘remotely disconnect’ customers, ie this could be done at a distance, without visiting your home
To be fair I thought all disconnections were already done 'remotely, i.e. at a distance, without visiting your home' by having you cut off at the tap. It'd be pretty pointless disconnecting someone inside their own home when they could just go plug it back in again... ---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Also looking at that document they can switch you to a prepayment meter at the press of a switch, they make loads more money from prepayment so i can see them abusing that as well. Having had a new meter installed this year i will resist having it changed for as long as i can.
Really? How come our prepayment meter was actually 40% cheaper than the post-pay tariff we were on, before being forced to change due to 'non-payment' owing to their own cock-ups?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 21:30   #24
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Disconnections are done at your meter, the main fuse is withdrawn and holder without fuse sealed back in to the socket
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 22:35   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Interesting, so all those people claiming they've been 'disconnected' without having permitted anyone to enter their home to do so are lying then?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:28   #26
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got utillia smart meter install in my home they are great using less than i did when on card and key meter 20 quid lasted me on gas a month electric not that good but i think there great
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02   #27
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
My friend has a British Gas Smart Meter and he dose not have broadband, it seems that the Smart Meter has it's on mobile connection.
The problem is, as I've mentioned, the small but significant number of properties with electrical supply but no mobile signal at all. How do they "phone home"?
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:08   #28
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
The problem is, as I've mentioned, the small but significant number of properties with electrical supply but no mobile signal at all. How do they "phone home"?
Carrier pigeon.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 17:22   #29
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Interesting, so all those people claiming they've been 'disconnected' without having permitted anyone to enter their home to do so are lying then?
Not everyones meter is inside their home.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 17:41   #30
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Indeed as ours is outside.