Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 21-04-2015, 16:27   #2746
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Many switch from sky to virgin(and vice-versa) to take up special half price discounts but switch back once they see a better deal and are free of any minimum contract terms. I did,left virgin for sky,rejoined virgin for a special offer. I will be looking at offers from sky in a few months time unless virgin make it worth my while staying. I wonder who holds the record for the number of switches `eh?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2015, 18:06   #2747
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I think most people agree, but sport has them tied to a pay TV service, as that is the only realistic way to get it; charges for sport via Now TV are even more exorbitant than via a Sky or VM pay TV subscription.

If Sky made the Now TV charges for sport closer to the prices via a satellite subscription, then more people would ditch pay TV. Which is exactly why they won't.

I know that you like sport, so kudos to you for taking a stand and telling Sky what to do with their price rises.
To be honest I've always done it , I ring and cancel to say I'm not prepared to pay the current high prices however in the past I've always got some good discounts to stay. I'll do exactly the same this time if the offer is good enough I'll gladly stay.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 20:24   #2748
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
To be honest I've always done it , I ring and cancel to say I'm not prepared to pay the current high prices however in the past I've always got some good discounts to stay. I'll do exactly the same this time if the offer is good enough I'll gladly stay.
I thought I read a post by you saying that you were quitting pay TV because of the price rises. I must have been mistaken.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 20:42   #2749
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I thought I read a post by you saying that you were quitting pay TV because of the price rises. I must have been mistaken.
You aren't mistaken , I am quitting at the new inflated prices however many people have said after giving notice they've been offered 50% off or better for the next 12 months that would then become a price I'm happy to pay. If no call comes my way then I guess I will be pay TV free.
Old 21-04-2015, 22:23   #2750
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Changing the subject slightly, but software RO11.075.52.00P is now on the DR Stream
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 01:46   #2751
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
You aren't mistaken , I am quitting at the new inflated prices however many people have said after giving notice they've been offered 50% off or better for the next 12 months that would then become a price I'm happy to pay. If no call comes my way then I guess I will be pay TV free.
I have noticed that people who call 31 days before the end of their 50%+ discount tend not to get another but if you call closer to the end of the discount or after it has ended then you will likely get another 25%, 35% or 50% discount to continue with Sky. If you call early (31 days before offer ends) then you will just get standard 10% discount offered.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 19:55   #2752
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Changing the subject slightly, but software RO11.075.52.00P is now on the DR Stream
I have noticed if going into Settings - System Details then page 2 the following has been added

Gateway sgw
DRM Enabled true
Secure Channel OK(0)

Wonder what this is for ? I haven't noticed it on previous builds.

It also appears that from June Sky 3D will cease broadcasting with 3D movies moving onto the Sky On Demand service.
Old 28-04-2015, 09:59   #2753
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky Go adds catch up content from ITV and Channel 5.

Link
Old 29-04-2015, 07:50   #2754
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Sky to drop one of its arts channels.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...els-in-shakeup
Old 29-04-2015, 10:24   #2755
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

No surprise I had a survey about that many months ago.
Old 29-04-2015, 10:44   #2756
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

One guy seems unhappy with Sky's record lately.

Quote:
Strange that, since SKY won the rights to the Premier League contract paying £4.1 billion we have see two price increases within 9 months, entertainment bundles increase up to 3 times that of the sports package, a raft of redundancies, only 2 major productions completed Fortitude and the Tunnel, only 60 hours of new home made original drama and now SKY Arts only having one channel. Perhaps they should consider saving even more money by dropping SKY 2 and combining that with SKY One and SKY Atlantic
Old 29-04-2015, 10:44   #2757
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No surprise I had a survey about that many months ago.
Ah, so it's your fault?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 11:09   #2758
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Ah, so it's your fault?
Along with the other respondents I guess so
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
One guy seems unhappy with Sky's record lately.
Hardly surprising of course they are looking to save money , they've spent huge on the premier league rights and there's only so much you can increase subs.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:54   #2759
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

UBC UK to sell EPG Slots on Sky for UCB Radio UK and UCB TV UK.

http://www.canismedia.co.uk/about-us/news/post/13
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:56   #2760
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky signs deal to handle Channel 5's £250m ad sales

Quote:
Sky has struck a deal to handle Channel 5’s £250m TV ad sales business, thwarting Channel 4’s hopes of expanding its own advertising sales operation.

The satellite broadcaster has extended its existing deal with Viacom, which acquired Channel 5 from Richard Desmond last year, to handle the TV ad sales for its portfolio of channels until 2020.
Quote:
Sky’s deal with Viacom also includes a five-year extension to its carriage agreement for all of its channels.
Link