Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 12-12-2016, 23:28   #2341
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

[QUOTE=jb66;35875451

The sh3 will need a completely new psu for your sh1, they will use the v+ Lead and add a PSU to the end of the cable for the v6[/QUOTE]

Thanks JB
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2016, 23:36   #2342
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Whats that got to do with wifi connectivity?
Whoosh...

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by horno46 View Post
Wife rang up and used the "thinking of leaving" option and got quoted £214 for two boxes. We've been with the company since the Telewest days. He didn't even sound remotely bothered when she asked if we were out of contract and could leave.

Granted we are not on a VIP package but I expected better.
I've had NTL since 512k broadband first came out. Last price increase was one too many. Rang up to cancel and to my (pleasant) surprise he didn't try to talk me round or offer anything at all.

Just broadband now - which does of course mean most of the tv programmes anyway

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
You are allowed up to three v6 boxes i dont know where they get all this crap from
We are talking VM here....different minute, different advisor, same rubbish.
Old 13-12-2016, 01:38   #2343
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point

It took me repeated calls to negotiate finally a seemingly decent deal but thanks for all the advice here on what others achieved!

Initially I had settled for one v6 box for £64.95 (£49.95 + £14.99 activation fee but install waived) - then I read here I should get a second for free on vip... phoned up today and the guy steadfastly refused to believe me. I pointed him to this forum and what others have got and he accused you all of lying and/or advised you should go check your bills since it wasnt possible! Gave me excuses like "but you are getting new tech and it costs money".. I dont deny it costs money but age-old issue that everyone should be entitled to the same treatment.

Eventually, I found that thread on the virgin media forum where one of their own staff members says VIP members are entitled to a free second box... he then says "ok, hold on" - comes back 20 seconds later and says he has added a £50 credit on the installation and second box... typical pretense then!

So all-in, I am now getting the VIP package (ie all phone calls, movies, sports, hd, 200mbps internet) and 2 V6 boxes for £96/month for 12 months and £64.95 upfront.

Not too bad considering it's my third contract 'renewal' in about 5 months!

EDIT: ask to be transferred through to customer relations when you phone up. Speaking to the Indian call centres, they wouldnt give any concession on the upfront fees and were offering VIP for £97/month for 9 months only then £122 for 3 months! With them was £114.95 for 1 box on VIP and £164.95 on full house!

Last edited by PtolemyIV; 13-12-2016 at 01:47. Reason: Typos
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 03:17   #2344
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Never met one that cannot get it immediately unless they have old cpe or a legacy discount code

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

The sh3 will need a completely new psu for your sh1, they will use the v+ Lead and add a PSU to the end of the cable for the v6
If you pay for it yeah. I'm still on 152mb waiting for the free upgrade.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:30   #2345
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
My commute is 70 miles down the M1 so I hope not

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Actually it is in a way, Sky's pockets are 20x deeper...
Remember you can only download from discovery, kids channels and qvc with limited shows on itv and UKTV but no Sky
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:48   #2346
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgillca View Post
Hi - I use an HDFury - this allows me to transmit an HD signal - much better quality than I was getting from the SCART socket. No need for an HDMI splitter since there is (at least on mine) an HDMI pass through.

However, I have used an HDMI splitter to allow me to use an HD TV encoder which then gets distributed to other TVs in the house and and I can now see HD quality images there too.

Colin
Can I ask which HDFury you use, I'm thinking of getting one to get around the issue that my Yamaha Amp isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant.
I can't tell which one I would need, especially as it will be tucked away in a cupboard and not easily accessible (site suggests you have to press buttons to change modes?)
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:02   #2347
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
If you pay for it yeah. I'm still on 152mb waiting for the free upgrade.
You have a discount code on your account preventing the 200meg upgrade, when your discount ends then you will be able to get 200, you will never get a "free" upgrade, it wont happen until you part with more money
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:23   #2348
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been lucky enough to have the new V6 box since Thursday. Just got one to replace my 500GB TiVo, so a straight swap, so to speak. Don't have a cable point in the bedroom so not much point in keeping the TiVo box or getting a second V6 until (if) we get a cable point installed.

However, I am loving the new box. It's VERY speedy. In fact it makes using the interface pleasurable. The box itself is a nice small footprint. Not the prettiest of designs but it's perfectly adequate. I copied over all the settings online from my old TiVo. That seems to have worked perfectly. I had a couple of issues trying to get the TV Anywhere App to connect and stay connected. I am still having problems with this but it's not causing me too much hassle at the moment. Let's see what happens after a week or so.

So, in general, I am very pleased with it.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:33   #2349
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

At the mo with Tivo, using the TV anywhere app it takes ages to get the guide up. Is it the same with the V6? Or is it unrelated to the box and just the app in general?
Old 13-12-2016, 10:57   #2350
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I believe it's an app issue, rather than box issue.
You can improve things by setting the default to your favourites, rather than streaming or all, as this reduces the data populated in the guide.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 11:08   #2351
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I believe it's an app issue, rather than box issue.
You can improve things by setting the default to your favourites, rather than streaming or all, as this reduces the data populated in the guide.
Thanks, seems a bit quicker now.
Old 13-12-2016, 11:54   #2352
mcgillca
cf.member

mcgillca is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandmarkuk View Post
Can I ask which HDFury you use, I'm thinking of getting one to get around the issue that my Yamaha Amp isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant.
I can't tell which one I would need, especially as it will be tucked away in a cupboard and not easily accessible (site suggests you have to press buttons to change modes?)
I have the HDFury3D, but I can't remember why I chose that one, since there are no 3D broadcasts now! I would think the regular HdFury would work well, though perhaps you'd be better off asking in the Slingbox forum!

Colin
mcgillca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:19   #2353
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
All areas have 200, your discount on your account is preventing you getting 200
really? is that impacting everyone else on discounts?

Its saying: Hold on tight. Your speed boost is on the way…
Your speed upgrade will be ready to take your connection from up to 152Mbps to up to 200Mbps. It's all thanks to DOCSIS® - the magic in our cables. Look out for it between December 2016 and December 2016

It says this on the virgin media site.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:21   #2354
Inactive

..... is an unknown quantity at this point

For those worrying about having a V6 and not being able to record to DVD or use Slingbox, remember you can keep the old TiVo box and stream all recordings from the V6 to the old one
..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:57   #2355
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You have a discount code on your account preventing the 200meg upgrade, when your discount ends then you will be able to get 200, you will never get a "free" upgrade, it wont happen until you part with more money
No I don't. Not sure what you are talking about but some areas have not received the free upgrades announced in 2015.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote