Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HD is overrated

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HD is overrated
View Poll Results: Do you agree that HD is overrated?
Yes 84 32.94%
No 147 57.65%
I am indifferent on this matter 24 9.41%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-06-2009, 15:35   #76
mark ilford
Inactive

Services: skyHD, virgin 50meg, bt phone
mark ilford is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HD is overrated

Hd smashes sd end of
mark ilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2009, 15:52   #77
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark ilford View Post
Hd smashes sd end of

it does if you talking 1080p

other wise it often depends on how good your tv setup is some times its very very good other times the difference is minimal
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 15:56   #78
mark ilford
Inactive

it does if you talking 1080p

other wise it often depends on how good your tv setup is some times its very very good other times the difference is minimal.

I agree totally with ya there. some films etc look no different but the ones that do...wow
Old 30-06-2009, 16:16   #79
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

Most of my HD viewing is of sport , especially football and its a massive difference between SD and HD.

In fact i cant watch standard def football anymore to the extent that half the time united games are on i'll get the lads round here with beer rather than go to the pub.
matt-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 16:20   #80
mark ilford
Inactive

football is one of the big difference programmes/shows, the older films that are re-released as blu-ray etc can be disappointing tho
Old 30-06-2009, 19:46   #81
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
football is one of the big difference programmes/shows, the older films that are re-released as blu-ray etc can be disappointing tho
depends on the remastering process if it done correctly it will look at a new hd just about. but if it done badly it can look worse than sd, but this all depends on the setup if it bad it will look bad for new hd movie etc.
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 20:15   #82
matt-h
Inactive

matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

Well sky , eurosport and even ITV's hd football has been very good quality
Old 01-07-2009, 07:41   #83
Jabbs
Inactive

Services: 50MB Cable - XL TV - XL Phone - 2 x V+ HD - 1 x Standard
Jabbs is on a distinguished roadJabbs is on a distinguished road

I only run mine in 720p and i can see the difference when watching Wimbledon in hd compared to sd, there's a huge difference.
Jabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23   #84
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbs View Post
I only run mine in 720p and i can see the difference when watching Wimbledon in hd compared to sd, there's a huge difference.
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:05   #85
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

For me HD via the V+ with good content is superb. Some of the VOD nature series are so much better, especially with water or snow in the shots. The 5.1 sound is an added bonus and really completes the experience.

Other than the pure pixel count I am sure that the colour rendering is better on BBC HD, maybe to do with the extra bandwidth?

Wimbledon is excellent in HD, don't get obsessed with pixel watching just sit back and enjoy the experience.

Just my two penneth...
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 18:28   #86
mark ilford
Inactive

how many hd channels does virgin have? i was told its only 1, is this true
Old 07-07-2009, 23:02   #87
kkevin666
Inactive

kkevin666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Yes LOL

Went to sky hd and never looked back

Sky by the way have 33 HD channels.

You'll get people in here saying they are mostly upscaled - but you do get proper HD programming on all 33 channels.

Dont wait for virgin to deliver - its always coming soon.
kkevin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 23:03   #88
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Currently its one but there is a lot of VOD HD now and there should be 5 new HD channels by the end of the year.
Old 07-07-2009, 23:15   #89
matt-h
Inactive

only 28 behind then..
Old 08-07-2009, 07:40   #90
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road

agree that Sky HD has some great channels. wish they didn't charge though. £67/month for an HD box upstairs and a PLUS box downstairs. add £51/month my VM broadband, that's nearly £1500 a year. Sound scary when you add it all up. oh forgot to add £140 odd for TV license
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote