Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 24-06-2008, 16:57   #121
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
And that's because its far easier to cram as many users as they can on the network and just STM it to hell while only investing in STM.
And if they had gone ahead with it? Would anyone on here actually accepted it?
Old 24-06-2008, 16:58   #122
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbymitts View Post
"Virgin Media has an open and transparent traffic management policy listed at www.virginmedia.com/traffic. Our policy does not discriminate internet traffic by application and we have no plans to do so. Whilst we do use equipment from Allot within parts of our cable network, this is used to build usage metrics and does not affect customers’ service in any way. It is certainly not used to do any form of packet shaping or change internet traffic priorities.”

Trax, I'm having difficulty finding that in there. I suppose you could read it like that if you squint a little, move words about and generally put more in. I've ordered you a tinfoil hat, all in the name of goodhearted fun of course.

I hope you are completely wrong

Allot is already used on the ADSL side of the network where they already use it to shape p2p/usenet and traffic during peak hours so that's one lie direct from VM there

*no plans*...that means no plans right now (again, trials cant be discussed to public)...the new daytime STM had *no plans* to be rolled out either.

They even publically said that, what VM say and what VM do are extremely differet matters.
Old 24-06-2008, 17:03   #123
Horace
Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

I don't trust either VM or Traxdata on any of this, both lost credibility in my eyes long ago, however, if this does get implemented and they target only the heaviest downloaders then they have no excuse for keeping STM, especially on the lowest tiers and should be removed, benefiting the majority of users and only hitting those that detremientally affect the rest of the users (sounds like a VM blurb I know).
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:04   #124
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData View Post
Allot is already used on the ADSL side of the network where they already use it to shape p2p/usenet and traffic during peak hours so that's one lie direct from VM there
It is not a lie. They were specifically referring to the cable network (Which is why it links to the cable traffic management page, not the ADSL traffic page), as you specifically mentioned the addtion of application managment on the cable network

The ADSL traffic management page here http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadba...s_traffic.html does already mention that they application manage
Old 24-06-2008, 17:05   #125
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Who knows as we were not given the choice - its a "we are doing it this way so deal with it" attitude VM have towards their customers, and the majority of CS reps are the same when you speak to them - rude arrogant and up VM's backsides as much as they can be. Its not only the network they need to invest in but hiring proper people who know how to deal with Customers not 90% numpties who are straight from school and think the world owes them something (anyway that parts off topic)
LostintheNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:05   #126
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
You are joking even asking that

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:07   #127
LostintheNW
Inactive

LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
I don't trust either VM or Traxdata on any of this, both lost credibility in my eyes long ago, however, if this does get implemented and they target only the heaviest downloaders then they have no excuse for keeping STM, especially on the lowest tiers and should be removed, benefiting the majority of users and only hitting those that detremientally affect the rest of the users (sounds like a VM blurb I know).
Are you classing me as a user who affects other users as I simply use my broadband to download e-mails and play online games? given that online gaming can cause an issue. VM wont target anyone specifically as that involves time and more money picking out who these people are, far easier for them to lump everyone together as pirates, abusers of the internet and screw everyone over at the same time
Old 24-06-2008, 17:09   #128
TraxData

Quote:
Each to their own, people can believe whatever they wnat to believe however a fair few sources have even contacted me and also admitted its being run

Interestingly STM is in talks about being removed on lower tiers when this is implemented.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Quote:
It is not a lie. They were specifically referring to the cable network (Which is why it links to the cable traffic management page, not the ADSL traffic page), as you specifically mentioned the addtion of application managment on the cable network

The ADSL traffic management page here http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadba...s_traffic.html does already mention that they application manage
Alright then, more of a different choice of words shall we say.

My point is, they say ALLOT is only used for other things, when infact its already used on the ADSL part of the network for shaping, it's not a direct lie but it's hardly the truth either as VM were asked about both adsl/cable.
Old 24-06-2008, 17:16   #129
Horace
Beam Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheNW View Post
Are you classing me as a user who affects other users as I simply use my broadband to download e-mails and play online games? given that online gaming can cause an issue. VM wont target anyone specifically as that involves time and more money picking out who these people are, far easier for them to lump everyone together as pirates, abusers of the internet and screw everyone over at the same time
Quote:

This, is, as far as one is aware going to be used for both in and out of peak hours for whoever they see "fit" as a heavy user.

Who knows.
Old 24-06-2008, 17:18   #130
LostintheNW
Inactive

Quote:
Who knows.
Well if little old me who downloads not much only plays online games is a heavy user, fook knows what they are going to make of someone who dares download a few mp3 files bought from iTunes etc

Perhaps I should be like you and only use it to browse internet forums? and yes thats a general assumption of you given you are "implying" I am a heavy user
Old 24-06-2008, 17:57   #131
Horace
Beam Software

I don't know how you dare download MP3's on Virgins superior network.

Flac is so much better.
Old 24-06-2008, 17:59   #132
TraxData

Quote:
I don't know how you dare download MP3's on Virgins superior network.

Flac is so much better.
LOl although we dont agree on many things i so have to give you a rep for that
Old 24-06-2008, 18:01   #133
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
They even publically said that, what VM say and what VM do are extremely differet matters.
I think VM will be getting the concrete boots ready for you soon Trax!
Silence him! at all costs!
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 18:14   #134
xspeedyx

They may even offer you some money trax to shut up I heard they like no love wasting customers money

Headline Read VM silence loud mouth from forum TRAXDATA no offense for the loud mouth just making a joke trax
Old 24-06-2008, 18:15   #135
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

When we hear Trax saying VM are wonderful etc, then we'll soon know.