Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 08-09-2008, 09:33   #301
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society
Re: Application Throttling/Management

I might have missed it, but is there any indication of how VM are planning on applying this?

24/7? Replacing STM during the current STM hours? In addition to STM to limit these more severely while relaxing STM for the others?

I'm just wondering whether VM are trying to ease up some congestion on their network (again) or encourage a large number of subscribers to downgrade/move.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2008, 09:38   #302
xspeedyx

What I don't understand if your throttled how can you hit the STM limits
Old 08-09-2008, 17:06   #303
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
I might have missed it, but is there any indication of how VM are planning on applying this?

24/7? Replacing STM during the current STM hours? In addition to STM to limit these more severely while relaxing STM for the others?

I'm just wondering whether VM are trying to ease up some congestion on their network (again) or encourage a large number of subscribers to downgrade/move.
What i want to know is why VM have not refuted this, Could it be that only a few weeks after they said they where not doing it, It now comes out that in fact they are doing it .

so VM Are you adding even more restrictions to our service so you can load even more customers on to the service or is this just a bad dream ????????.

I think i know what it is but it would be nice for you to answer as fast as you did last time

Quote:
“Virgin Media has an open and transparent traffic management policy listed at www.virginmedia.com/traffic. Our policy does not discriminate internet traffic by application and we have no plans to do so. Whilst we do use equipment from Allot within parts of our cable network, this is used to build usage metrics and does not affect customers’ service in any way. It is certainly not used to do any form of packet shaping or change internet traffic priorities.”

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 17:24   #304
adrian1971
Inactive

adrian1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
just thought i would get a word in, i am on the xl 20mb i get throttled every day and night to 4.5mb the only hours i do get full speed is from 12 midnight till 10am. I have been reading alot about vm on other sites. and why i dont agree with throttling i still think they have a good service. however this is my gripe. i hear they are testing the 50mb broadband down south some where and are going to roll it out soon for an un confirmed £47pm,
so what will they be throttling that down to ? the only reason why anyone would want 50mb would be for hd streaming,etc,etc
i also read some where that the cable lines were actually capable of carrying upto 150mb. so i cant understand why they need to throttle ???
this company have years infront of the old copper lines but i feel the way they are going they aint gonna have as many customers as they have now.
it was a kick in the teeth loosing some sky channels, now they come back to collect the teeth by capping ya !!!!!!
adrian1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 17:36   #305
xspeedyx

I guess we are gonna have to wait and see if they do it or not if they do and I move house I will certainly look at my options even if I am working for VM or not
Old 08-09-2008, 17:58   #306
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1971 View Post
hi all,
just thought i would get a word in, i am on the xl 20mb i get throttled every day and night to 4.5mb the only hours i do get full speed is from 12 midnight till 10am. I have been reading alot about vm on other sites. and why i dont agree with throttling i still think they have a good service. however this is my gripe. i hear they are testing the 50mb broadband down south some where and are going to roll it out soon for an un confirmed £47pm,
so what will they be throttling that down to ? the only reason why anyone would want 50mb would be for hd streaming,etc,etc
i also read some where that the cable lines were actually capable of carrying upto 150mb. so i cant understand why they need to throttle ???
this company have years infront of the old copper lines but i feel the way they are going they aint gonna have as many customers as they have now.
it was a kick in the teeth loosing some sky channels, now they come back to collect the teeth by capping ya !!!!!!
With the new docsis 3 they are capable of far higher than that at least 400MBit i say but i have heard rumors of it could go up to 2GBit siruis might be able to confirm that a bit more than me
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 18:11   #307
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
With the new docsis 3 they are capable of far higher than that at least 400MBit i say but i have heard rumors of it could go up to 2GBit siruis might be able to confirm that a bit more than me
From some of VM's press release info they are aiming for 250 meg by 2010. They have also confirmed that at this time they are NOT going to use STM on the 50 meg product. Time will tell however as to what traffic restrictions they will place on the 50 meg product and what type of system they will implement if any.

Old 08-09-2008, 18:54   #308
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
From some of VM's press release info they are aiming for 250 meg by 2010. They have also confirmed that at this time they are NOT going to use STM on the 50 meg product. Time will tell however as to what traffic restrictions they will place on the 50 meg product and what type of system they will implement if any.
I meant the capability of docsis 3 ie if it could potential do 2GBit in the future specifications, allow to be honest i aint keeping track on 50mb because i dnt have much confidence of virgin doing it right.
Old 08-09-2008, 19:15   #309
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
I meant the capability of docsis 3 ie if it could potential do 2GBit in the future specifications, allow to be honest i aint keeping track on 50mb because i dnt have much confidence of virgin doing it right.
At the moment the specification has the capability to be extended to 1 gig, However you are not likley to see that being used by VM .

For those that want a basic explanation of Docsis see HERE or HERE

Old 08-09-2008, 19:31   #310
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
At the moment the specification has the capability to be extended to 1 gig, However you are not likley to see that being used by VM .

For those that want a basic explanation of Docsis see HERE or HERE
Well they might but they will throttle it 15MB

I can see the adverts. "For the fastest broadband in this universe try Virgin 1GBit connection, it will get you to pluto and back in seconds"

'Small Print

Upload 5MBit
Subject to STM during peaks hour where we reserve the right to throttle your connection to 15MBit for the benefit of other users. Upload throttle to 512KBit'
Old 08-09-2008, 19:35   #311
xspeedyx

thats way to high they will throttle it to 7.5MBit and 256K upload
Old 08-09-2008, 19:39   #312
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
thats way to high they will throttle it to 7.5MBit and 256K upload
You 2 are expecting far to much.

Old 08-09-2008, 20:02   #313
xspeedyx

lmao u should think more of vm they are gr8 at been the best bb provider
Old 08-09-2008, 20:46   #314
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Every company, no matter what sector they are in, are 'great' and 'the best' when they consistently deliver what the customer is paying them for and the customer service is efficient and prompt when things go wrong.

If you are one of those that fall into this category then you are one of the many fortunate ones.

Occasionally things go wrong, sometimes badly wrong.
Inherently, the people that post the most are the ones that get poor service or poor customer support when it is needed.

Whist I disagree with STM and throttling, I must admit the service I have received has been excellent.
icsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:57   #315
|Kippa|
Inactive

|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
Deep Packet Inspection/Interception of a UK/EU/US consumers Unique datastream IS NOT legal, UNLESS they have been given written full and informed consent by the owner of that data stream, I.E YOU as the owner and maker of that unique datastream.

You as the owner and maker of that data can remove any of the rights you may have given them at any time with a simple "official notice" in writing to the data controller of the company involved removing that right.

/
What about the 'Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000' with specific regards that the Secretary of State can issue the interception of communications (in section 5 of the act 'interception with a warrant'). As far as I can tell from browsing the act if it is authorised by Home Secretary then they can legitimatley intercept your communications, probably via deep packet inspection and or other methods regardless of your consent or not.
|Kippa| is offline   Reply With Quote