Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 24-06-2008, 22:57   #136
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Application Throttling/Management

Re my post yesterday, I've gone through the webcasts again and can confirm that Neil Berkett does indeed say that a anti piracy measure called Next Generation CAS (Controlled Access ??) will be introduced. It's in the Merrill Lynch webcast (which requires registration, I gave the link yesterday) and its at 24 minutes 50 seconds into the webcast. It gets a 2 second mention. It's easier to listen from two minutes before this to get the context of what Berkett is talking about - basically its about what money VM have to spend on things over the next year.
Old 24-06-2008, 23:02   #137
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
CAS (Controlled Access ??)
Controlled Access System AKA Allot.
Old 24-06-2008, 23:03   #138
zing_deleted

There are legit uses for all the targetted areas NG BT and P2P closing these off will not only effect pirates but a lot of other users. VM will suffer big style
Old 25-06-2008, 09:09   #139
broadbandbug
Inactive

broadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData View Post
Controlled Access System AKA Allot.
Next Generation CAS is the Digital TV Conditional Access System. i.e. Nagra.

It has nothing to do with Broadband Internet
broadbandbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 10:36   #140
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

...my fault, I assumed CAS was related to broadband.

Perhaps VM intend to issue new viewing cards next year??
Old 25-06-2008, 11:05   #141
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

And Traxdata didn't correct you...
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 12:24   #142
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I think VM will be getting the concrete boots ready for you soon Trax!
Silence him! at all costs!
Virgin Mafia They might send Tony Soprano round to Trax
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 12:32   #143
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandbug View Post
Next Generation CAS is the Digital TV Conditional Access System. i.e. Nagra.

It has nothing to do with Broadband Internet
You have PM (and for everyone else, i'm not talkin about Nagra etc )
Old 25-06-2008, 12:38   #144
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

QUOTE=grubbymitts;34583374]PANIC! RUN TO THE HILLS!

Has anyone thought that the fact that Virgin Media have actually denied this for once may mean that it isn't in fact going to happen? As we all know, they are not known for outright denying things.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. not so sure about that... VM keep denying they have signed a deal to roll out Phorm's webspy technology but VM is still being associated with them in all the media news stories and in press releases issued by Phorm****

Better to deny it and keep off the wolves.
icsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 16:46   #145
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

but Phorm hasn't actually been rolled out yet though, has it? Again, it's an idea (a bad one) that's being looked into. It will all come down to whether VM can make money out of it that overrides any bad PR. It's not unknown for companies to turn around and say to their customers and the public, "Hey, we looked at it, but our customers didn't like it so we said no!" even when it's been hanging around in the background for months/years ready for implementation.

But, let's not turn this into a debate over Phorm - there's a thread for that. I'm not saying throttling hasn't been discussed and that the technology isn't there to implement it. I'm just saying that until we get proof that it will be operating, people need to chill.

So many tech people and others in VM don't like Traxdata these days due to his previous leaks that he may be being fed duff info. I'd certainly do it on him if I was someone bearing a grudge in VM just to discredit him with an "official denial".

He could also be telling us all big old porkies just for kicks - this is the internet after all
Old 25-06-2008, 17:15   #146
xspeedyx

*waits for the I dont care statement from TraxData*
Old 25-06-2008, 17:17   #147
grubbymitts
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
*waits for the I dont care statement from TraxData*
William Hill won't take the bet because it's a certainty
Old 25-06-2008, 17:19   #148
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Just got home from work. Turned on my PC and guess what i have been STM'd and all i have done is surf this site. STM is just another way of saving money for VM.

Not bad for 20 meg

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 17:23   #149
xspeedyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Just got home from work. Turned on my PC and guess what i have been STM'd and all i have done is surf this site. STM is just another way of saving money for VM.
Sirus you are 10 years behind lol
Old 25-06-2008, 17:25   #150
Jonathan90
Inactive

Jonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really nice

sirius that oversubscription to my eyes
Jonathan90 is offline   Reply With Quote