Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 08-08-2010, 20:14   #1471
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The iPhone thread

Just discovered something rather neat.

The iPhone 4 supports input via a Bluetooth keyboard (same as the iPad), and (if the App being run suports it), can output to a VGA monitor via a (admittedly expensive) Dock to VGA cable.

Sadly, while Cydia has an app for jailbroken iPads (called Display Out) that mirrors the display from the iPad to the external monitor, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for the iPhone.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2010, 20:43   #1472
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Got my freebie bumper through the post today.

Whilst not having any problems reception wise without it hey its free so apple.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 21:04   #1473
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Flash for the iPhone 4 (& apparently also other iOS devices with an ARM Cortex-A8: the 3GS, iPad, and 3rd Gen. iPod Touch). Note: the device must be Jailbroken.

http://gizmodo.com/5607678/install-flash-on-an-iphone-4

http://www.redmondpie.com/install-fl...o-video-guide/

The above requires installing OpenSSH & doing things "the long way". If you install OpenSSH, you really should change your default SSH password, & use something like SBSettings to give you the power to enable/disable OpenSSH at will.

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_on_Windows

Easy method, via adding a new source to Cydia:

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_on_Windows

(beware of sources you do not know, etc. etc.)

Very very early stages, & does not work for video yet, just basic stuff.

I haven't bothered myself...I don't like or need Flash.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 00:13   #1474
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Apple has fixed the PDF vulnerabilty that the Jailbreakme site uses..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/a...get-iphone-url
Old 12-08-2010, 00:57   #1475
zing_deleted

ok the jailbreakme hack was easy but I am assuming the other hacks that were already about will most likely still work anyway.

I sold my ipod at the weekend so it does not effect me and I just wont update my daughters
Old 12-08-2010, 01:31   #1476
Stuart
-

It probably won't affect the old method of jailbreaking (download firmware, hack it, then use itunes to install the hacked firmware). They've blocked the PDF Vuln used by the site
Old 12-08-2010, 19:47   #1477
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I think I'll be staying on 4.0.1

Re. the "old method" of Jailbreaking:

Doesn't (currently) work on the iPhone 4, or the 3GS on iOS4.

The iPhone 4 can't (currently) be Jailbroken any way other than using Jailbreakme.com on a device running iOS4.0/4.0.1.

The only (current) non-Jailbreakme.com method for a 3GS on iOS4.0/4.0.1 is to use PwnageTool (Mac only)... and it'll only work if the 3GS has the old bootrom & has previously been Jailbroken. PwnageTool also works for the 3G, whether it's previously been Jailbroken or not.

Hopefully the DevTeam has some holes hidden away, ready to update Redsn0w once Apple releases iOS4.1...

For Jailbreakers on iOS4.0.1 (and for owners of the original iPhone, or the 1st. generation iPod Touch, both apparently ignored by Apple regarding the PDF exploit fix, even though they are just as vulnerable):

"saurik" (of "Cydia" and other things) has released a fix to patch the PDF exploit:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/9414...hat-apple-wont
Old 12-08-2010, 19:53   #1478
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

An interesting aside to this. Apple patched the flaw but only for recent devices. iPhone 2 isn't included. Saurik from the iphone-dev team is patching it himself.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 19:58   #1479
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Yup. See above
Old 12-08-2010, 19:59   #1480
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

My sister still uses my old iphone so I'll have to sort that for her.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 20:49   #1481
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Yup. See above
Teach me not to read your posts properly :p
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 19:17   #1482
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

guys, sorry to sidetrack.. but quick question

Had to change my 3G to a 3GS (call me butter fingers). Restore from backup didnt work as my backup was with a newer firmware, so when setting up the new 3GS it moaned it had to be set up as a new phone *sigh

So next way around it (i hope) is there anyway i can do a batch download of my purchased apps/music/ringtones to my phone. I have clicked "check for available downloads" but silly me for thinking it would download anything, but it didnt (at least not to my phone anyway)

i was hoping for a button saying something similar to "transfer all purchased content to connected device" but i guess logic still goes over Apples head.

any help would be much appreciated
tia
Sly
Old 18-08-2010, 21:30   #1483
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

you guys see this
Quote:
Police have shut down a global criminal conspiracy suspected of milking millions of pounds from stolen iPhones through premium phone lines.Nine people accused of co-ordinating the sophisticated scam were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud in a series of early Wednesday morning raids.
Quote:
Sim cards were being shipped abroad and plugged into automatic dialling machines calling lines around the clock that charge up to £10 a minute.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-14915187.html
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 23:29   #1484
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
guys, sorry to sidetrack.. but quick question

Had to change my 3G to a 3GS (call me butter fingers). Restore from backup didnt work as my backup was with a newer firmware, so when setting up the new 3GS it moaned it had to be set up as a new phone *sigh

So next way around it (i hope) is there anyway i can do a batch download of my purchased apps/music/ringtones to my phone. I have clicked "check for available downloads" but silly me for thinking it would download anything, but it didnt (at least not to my phone anyway)

i was hoping for a button saying something similar to "transfer all purchased content to connected device" but i guess logic still goes over Apples head.

any help would be much appreciated
tia
Sly
Can't you just synchronise it?

That's all I do with a new iPhone... copies over all my apps & music & anything else which is set to sync.

Not sure I've ever restored from backup.
Old 19-08-2010, 00:25   #1485
pabloo
Inactive

pabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many feathers

shocking thread..wonder if n3 can be unlocked lol
pabloo is offline   Reply With Quote