Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 27-10-2010, 20:38   #1546
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The iPhone thread

Oops. Seems there's a hole in the iPhone 4's lockscreen, which allows someone to bypass it & gain access to the Phone app.

I tried it. The timing is tricky, but it works.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ypass-security
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2010, 08:55   #1547
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

iPhone alarm clock go off late today?

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/6...alarm_bug.html

I got an extra hour, but i'd rather have got to work on time instead of having to work late now to make the time up
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39   #1548
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
iPhone alarm clock go off late today?

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/6...alarm_bug.html

I got an extra hour, but i'd rather have got to work on time instead of having to work late now to make the time up
I have a 3GS and mine updated the time ok, shame as I could have done with an exstra hour in bed
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:56   #1549
superbiatch
Inactive

superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star

Weird how its affected some and not others, mine is the 3g, my brother is the 3gs and both were the same

Oh well, I've got greasy hair and unironed clothes but at least i wasn't too late
Old 01-11-2010, 10:52   #1550
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

My 3GS went off an hour late
Old 02-11-2010, 19:59   #1551
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Right, I'm late to join this thread but I'm looking at getting an Iphone4.

Can anyone who knows a bit about it all tell me if there is anything I need to know before I go for it.
I'm on Virgin but have just found out they don't do it so I guess that is ruled out.
Anyone know any good offers? So far O2 looks good.
I don't want to spend more than £25 to £30 a month maximum.

Thankyou.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:13   #1552
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Depends on what you want, what you're willing to pay each month, what you're willing to pay up-front, & of course who gives you the best reception.

Unless the tariffs have changed significantly since the launch...

Tesco: Excellent deals. Higher up-front cost, but the lowest total cost of ownership over the length of the contract. Uses O2's network.

O2: Pretty good. Better IMO than Orange's prices.

Vodafone: Almost identical to O2's prices, but with 1GB data instead of 500MB.

3: Good deals, but you can only get a 24 month contract.

Orange: Nothing special.

T-Mobile: Crappy tariffs & prices. IMO, of course.

Have a look at this:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-iphone
Old 02-11-2010, 20:16   #1553
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Right, I'm late to join this thread but I'm looking at getting an Iphone4.

Can anyone who knows a bit about it all tell me if there is anything I need to know before I go for it.
I'm on Virgin but have just found out they don't do it so I guess that is ruled out.
Anyone know any good offers? So far O2 looks good.
I don't want to spend more than £25 to £30 a month maximum.

Thankyou.
You can use it with a mini sim my son has cut a virgin card down to size with a cutter off ebay
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:34   #1554
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Thanks.

I am fine with about 100 minutes as that is about 3 minutes a day so not bad. I tend to use it more for texts and so would like an unlimited texts deal.
I also want Internet access at no extra charge.
The guy in the O2 shop said 500mb is fine for facebook, twitter, emails and the odd download. Would you agree?
I'm not going to download music or videos. Maybe the odd photo here and there.

The package from O2 is £25 if you take a 24 month contract or £30 if you go for 18 months.
I'd like it to be cheapest as possible so the £25 is attractive though I dont want to go for something I regret later.

Initial cost of IPhone on the £25 24month is £299 but I could save £10 overall if I go for the £30 18 month contract and pay £229 for the Iphone.
Both are 100 minutes and 500mb Internet, unlimited texts.

I will check out the Tesco deals.

Thankyou for your help.

Old 02-11-2010, 20:42   #1555
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

500MB is fine for that IMO.

Even when I still had "unlimited" data on my old iPhone contract, I don't think I ever went over 100MB in one month. I have WiFi at home, & WiFi at work, so I only really use the 3G data connection if I'm out & about, or have gone somewhere without WiFi.

One thing to consider with O2, unless they have changed the Terms, is that you can downgrade your tariff to the next one down once you have been in contract for 9 months. It means you can take a slightly higher tariff to start with to reduce the phone cost, & then drop down after 9 months. I did that for my first iPhone: Started on O2 £45, then dropped to O2 £35. The overall cost of ownership was the same, but it meant I was able to spread the phone cost out more by paying less upfront & more per month.

I'd definitely have a good look at the Tesco deals, too.
Old 02-11-2010, 20:43   #1556
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

500mb is fine, I average 300-400 a month browsing, emails, facebook and even a dollop of ebay, and this is for about 2-3hrs a day.

There are plenty of apps available for data monitoring, but as I use Android I couldn't recommend any for the iPhone.
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 20:46   #1557
Halcyon
Hello !

I've just looked at the Tesco deals.
One of them comes to exactly the same price as O2 (Cost of phone and cost (per month x 12) but offers 150 more minutes.

I guess it is who is better, Tesco or O2.

Are Iphones bound to their provider you buy from like other mobiles?
So if I buy on O2 and finish my contract I cant move to another provider?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-11-2010, 20:59   #1558
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Yes, unless you buy a "SIM free unlocked" iPhone from Apple (or some 3rd party retailers) all iPhones are locked to a network.

I'm not sure about the other networks, but if you have an iPhone on an O2 contract, O2 will unlock it for you for free, on request. If it's PAYG, they will unlock it, but charge you £10 (IIRC). I'd assume the other networks would also unlock it for you once your contract is over.

Tesco Mobile is a virtual network, like Virgin Mobile. It uses O2's network.
Old 14-11-2010, 14:53   #1559
Halcyon
Hello !

Well I've joined the club. I'm now an Iphone user on 02.
I'm loving it.

Old 14-11-2010, 14:59   #1560
superbiatch
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
My 3GS went off an hour late
Is there an update for this yet? I've not plugged into iTunes for a little while, but this alarm business is starting to get on my nerves