Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV (What's on soon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin TV (What's on soon)

Old 03-11-2014, 13:43   #646
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin TV (What's on soon)

Trollied season 4 starts tonight Sky1.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2014, 14:12   #647
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Trollied season 4 starts tonight Sky1.
No thanks as its just more rubbish.
Old 03-11-2014, 18:42   #648
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No thanks as its just more rubbish.
Yup, not only is it complete tosh, but working in food retail, this (in my experience) is an incredibly inaccurate portrayal of life in food retail - admittedly I have only seen one series though.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:24   #649
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It is a sitcom. Its not meant to be accurate or real.

Still doesn't make it any good though lol.
Old 03-11-2014, 20:28   #650
harry_hitch

harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It is a sitcom. Its not meant to be accurate or real.

Still doesn't make it any good though lol.
Possibly, but I think Ricky Gervais in particular may disagree. He has always advocated the importance of writing about what you know. The Office was based on his time as an office worker, with David Brent based on a former boss, who acted just like David Brent. Extras is based on the experience of being an extra, and also someone who lets success get to their head and Derek is based on the experiences of his sister who runs a care home, witht he character Derek created (in part) to show how easy it is to be kind to others. Love him or hate him, the guy writes award winning comedy that people relate to because of the everyday characters and situations Ricky Gervais recreates from his life experiences.

A few other sitcoms that seem to work for being pretty accurate to real life, Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours, Porridge, Dads Army, Yes Minister/Prime Minister, Blackadder series (Goes Forth, in particular), Little Britain, The Inbetweeners, Fraiser, Two and A Half Men, The Thick Of it, Steptoe and Son, One Foot In The Grave and Outnumbered to name but a few.

I appreciate these may not be to your taste, but I think all successful comedies need people to relate to the situations created for them to be successful.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:52   #651
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

They are situation comedies. Real life situations but most often a little bit OTT. Little Britian was hardly accurate to real life for a start.

I do enjoy most of those shows. Whatever Trollied is it must be doing something right to have got to 4 series and to have some of the cast that it has. I noticed one of the cast is a wee kid comedian that was on Britain's got Talent last year I think it was.

I think with sitcoms wether accurate or a bit OTT people can relate to them because of their everyday situations. eg Men behaving badly, Friends. 2point4 children. Birds of a Feather/

Blackadder and Derek are also hardly accurate to real life. Sitcoms most often take real situations and make them a bit OTT, its where a lot of the comedy comes from.
Old 04-11-2014, 16:55   #652
harry_hitch

Quote:
They are situation comedies. Real life situations but most often a little bit OTT. Little Britian was hardly accurate to real life for a start.

I do enjoy most of those shows. Whatever Trollied is it must be doing something right to have got to 4 series and to have some of the cast that it has. I noticed one of the cast is a wee kid comedian that was on Britain's got Talent last year I think it was.

I think with sitcoms wether accurate or a bit OTT people can relate to them because of their everyday situations. eg Men behaving badly, Friends. 2point4 children. Birds of a Feather/

Blackadder and Derek are also hardly accurate to real life. Sitcoms most often take real situations and make them a bit OTT, its where a lot of the comedy comes from.
I agree, Trollied must be doing something right. I just can't figure out what.

I would strongly disagree about Little Britain and Derek not being accurate to real life though (Little Britain is definitely OTT though, but firmly based in real life.) If I write about that though, I imagine it would take this massively off topic.
Old 04-11-2014, 17:16   #653
undertakereddie
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB Including 2 Mini-boxes SKY as Pay As You Talk Sky Unlimited Broadband Fibre Max
undertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant future

The Vampire Diaries Season 6 Starts Tonight at 9pm on ITV2 & ITV2 HD.
undertakereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 17:59   #654
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertakereddie View Post
The Vampire Diaries Season 6 Starts Tonight at 9pm on ITV2 & ITV2 HD.
Hopefully this will be the final season.
Old 04-11-2014, 18:29   #655
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
I agree, Trollied must be doing something right. I just can't figure out what.

I would strongly disagree about Little Britain and Derek not being accurate to real life though (Little Britain is definitely OTT though, but firmly based in real life.) If I write about that though, I imagine it would take this massively off topic.
Yes there are things from life in them. Thats what makes them funny but they are rather exaggerated and OTT. So there is no way you can call them accurate. All sitcoms take real life things and make them a bit OTT. After all its full name is a situation comedy.

Look at some of the classics, Are you being served, The Good Life, Keeping Up appearances, Brittas Empire. Some mother do 'ave em. Yes all real life settings or situations but completly over the top to some degree.

I did actually read an article from a manager at Morrisons when trollied first started and he praised the attention to detail in the supermarket set and remarked that his staff would never use bad language in front of customers.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...ian-richardson

So while the setting is true to real life and very accurate characters are greatly OTT. Just what makes most sitcoms what they are.
Old 04-11-2014, 20:00   #656
harry_hitch

Quote:
Yes there are things from life in them. Thats what makes them funny but they are rather exaggerated and OTT. So there is no way you can call them accurate. All sitcoms take real life things and make them a bit OTT. After all its full name is a situation comedy.

Look at some of the classics, Are you being served, The Good Life, Keeping Up appearances, Brittas Empire. Some mother do 'ave em. Yes all real life settings or situations but completly over the top to some degree.

I did actually read an article from a manager at Morrisons when trollied first started and he praised the attention to detail in the supermarket set and remarked that his staff would never use bad language in front of customers.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...ian-richardson

So while the setting is true to real life and very accurate characters are greatly OTT. Just what makes most sitcoms what they are.
TBF, it really is not difficult to knock up a replica supermarket. Boring and bland decor with shelves, stock, freezers, tills and service counters. That is pretty much all you need. As for never swearing in front of a customer, well, even in Waitrose that happens. Thankfully customers don't generally listen to the staff talking, if they did, I would have lost my job a long time ago.. Admittedly, I have never heard someone swear directly at a customer (other than when they try and hide it by talking fast. I.E. When an annoying customer is expecting to hear "thank you very much" regardless of how annoying they have been, then the "thank" part of that statement becomes a four letter swear word beginning with f.) After hearing numerous people (myself included) deal with awkward customers, and we have listened to what their complaints, told them how we will act on it and they still continue to bang on and moan, then they have been politely informed other local supermarkets may be a better place for them to shop in future, so, in fairness to the show, that does happen. So, for me, his comments seem to be lip service so he can get in a national paper and tell people about how "good" his shop is.

Back to the point in hand, I think am going to try and bow out hope to agree to disagree. I agree some situation comedy is OTT, Some Mothers Do 'ave 'em a prime example. But I have dealt with enough customers and worked with enough people over 20 years, 18 different shops and 4 different retail companies to know there are managers like Mr Brittas, or that some Waitrose customers are exactly like Hyacinth Bucket, or that customers like The Goods' do exist and complain greatly about the price of most things, dealt with market traders haggling for stock, and worked with handicapped people who are very similar Derek in Derek to know that, in my eyes, the characters in many, many sitcoms are not overly OTT. As for some of the sights I have seen, well I could go on for ages about those....... they would certainly been seen as OTT in a sitcom.. I will be happy to share any if you want.

This is why I would hope we can agree to disagree, purely because of my experiences with the people I have met in my retail career. I appreciate your experiences of people (retail based or otherwise) may be different to mine though.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:02   #657
undertakereddie
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB Including 2 Mini-boxes SKY as Pay As You Talk Sky Unlimited Broadband Fibre Max
undertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant future

American Cable Channel Lifetime Have Axed American Drama Witches of The East End After 2 Seasons.
undertakereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:27   #658
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
American Cable Channel Lifetime Have Axed American Drama Witches of The East End After 2 Seasons.
Heard it on the grapevine Netflix are going to take over it and produce 2 more seasons.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:30   #659
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Heard it on the grapevine Netflix are going to take over it and produce 2 more seasons.
Not for me as two series of this rubbish were enough.
Old 05-11-2014, 22:53   #660
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
This thread is for things on TV soon. We have a thread for renewed or cancelled TV shows here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...s-page-29.html