Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bell Cablemedia

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bell Cablemedia

Old 14-07-2006, 01:40   #1
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
Bell Cablemedia

Some people may remember Bell Cablemedia, one of the early cable companies that became part of Cable & Wireless ConsumerCo which became part of ntl.

I remember them well in Leeds.

They ceased to exist...ooh 1997 I think.

Which makes it all the more odd that THIS web page still exists.

Do you think someone has simply forgotten it's there?

It's like a trip down memory lane! Those were the days, etc.
Old 14-07-2006, 06:40   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Bell Cablemedia

I tried dialling the number and it's "busy"... weird!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 09:47   #3
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

The business number directs to C&W!!!

0500 600190
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 10:37   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I can top that - I worked for BCM (implementing and supporting Billing systems), and also was one of the first employees of BCM's predecessor, Jones Cable (Leeds & Watford).

I started at the (now NTL) Seacroft office in January 1994. We used to have a joke - if you had only ever sat at one desk, but worked for 5 different companies, you must be in the Cable industry.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 11:14   #5
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

You know a cableco's advert is old when they have loads of fibres as the pictures, that is so 90s =)
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 15:49   #6
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Yes I rememebr Bell Cablemedia becuase we were one of the first to get it in York in late 1995. I recall it had loads of what were then cable exclusive channels such as SelectTV (which became Carlton Select), Performance and Travel Channel (both now on satellite), The Parliamentary Channel, Mind Extension University (which turned into Jones Computer Network and finally Knowledge TV), HVC, a text-based local information service, and the full 24-hour servicves of Sci-fi, EBN and CMT as these were only on satellite part time. No L!ve TV though. In 1996, new cable-only services Carlton Food, AsiaNet and The Box appeared when CMT and EBN were dropped.

How things have changed in the cable industry in the subsequent decade becuase back then cable had as many subscribers as Sky did.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 00:12   #7
thelem
cf.addict

Services: Portsmouth: ntl Family, 2Mbps and Talk Unlimited Bristol: Telewest Supreme, 4Mbps and Talk Unlimite
thelem is on a distinguished roadthelem is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to thelem Send a message via AIM to thelem Send a message via Yahoo to thelem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington
How things have changed in the cable industry in the subsequent decade becuase back then cable had as many subscribers as Sky did.
Really? Because assuming that cable passed 50% of homes, and the same number of homes were interested in pay TV in cabled areas as in non-cabled areas, that would mean nearly 100% penetration in cabled areas.

If the figure was for cabled areas only then that is still roughly the case.
thelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 00:17   #8
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

notice how netcom need a web designer

http://www.netcom.co.uk/news/index.php?story=109

perhaps to update the 10 year old websites
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 09:48   #9
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Red face Re: Bell Cablemedia

Cable & Wireless 0500 numbers!
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 18:59   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Umm, what ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 20:39   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Umm, what ?
That was my initial thought but I guess he's being nostalgic about 0500 numbers being a thing ?? Apparently they lasted until 2017 but I can't ever recall ringing one.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 02:56   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I dont recall them tbh, I didnt think 05 was used at all these days, but apparently a small part of it is.

055 xxxx xxxx & 056 xxxx xxxx are used for "corporate" numbers and [some] VoIP services.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 06:13   #13
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Smile Re: Bell Cablemedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
That was my initial thought but I guess he's being nostalgic about 0500 numbers being a thing ?? Apparently they lasted until 2017 but I can't ever recall ringing one.
Yes, being nostalgic.

Wow! You never phoned an 0500 number? Businesses moved in droves from having BT 0800 numbers to having C&W 0500 numbers back when deregulation meant that there was a duopoly instead of a monopoly. 😀
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 10:25   #14
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

York was covered by the franchise covering Leeds, which also covered Harrogate. The franchise was originally Jones TV, which I found out from seeing a video on YouTube about Jones Cable in Leeds. It had become Bell Cablemedia by the time it appeared in York. Not sure about Harrogate.

I also believe that Bell Cablemedia was the result of a merger between more than one cable company/franchise?

[mods, may I suggest that this is moved to Virgin Media TV as it is about a time before the internet became part of the cable offer]
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 15:36   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Jones Cable bought out PacTel (Peterborough & Norwich) to become Bell CableMedia, then a Cable & Wireless subsidiary company bought out/merged BCM, Videotron, & Nynex (and possibly Cable London) to become CWC (Cable & Wireless Comms).

(I worked on the Bytel Billing Systems at Jones Cable Leeds (& Watford) 94-96 (it became BCM in 95), and did billing consultancy at what was EnCom in London Docklands 96-97 (when it all became CWC)).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote