Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub 2

Old 01-12-2012, 10:55   #76
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Superhub 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think Qasi's point is beside the point. Infinity/Sky aren't that great at the higher frequencies. When I was on 40/10, I got 38/8; when they doubled the frequency, distance mattered more and I don't get 76/18 - I get 55/10. Likewise at the next BT speed uplift will attenuate signal further. VM speed is not governed by home to cabinet distance.

In repsect of the SH, all VM have to do is position the SH as a get you going router with the option of using it in modem only mode.

Simples.
Been using it that way for months now and it has been fine.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35   #77
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think Qasi's point is beside the point. Infinity/Sky aren't that great at the higher frequencies. When I was on 40/10, I got 38/8; when they doubled the frequency, distance mattered more and I don't get 76/18 - I get 55/10. Likewise at the next BT speed uplift will attenuate signal further. VM speed is not governed by home to cabinet distance.
My point wasn't about the service speed. More like, using your own modem and router - on most FTTC providers, easy peasy. On Sky, harder but still possible. On VM, impossible. At least on the modem part.

If as VM claim the majority of average users have no issues with the Superhub, and most of us high-end picky types would rather buy our own routers anyway, what's the point of the Superhub 2 existing to begin with?

If it's going to be given to everyone but not benefit most people anyway, is it not just a waste of money that ends up making everyone's service cost more?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:50   #78
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

it wont be given to everyone though will it? id be surprised if it was.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:41   #79
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
it wont be given to everyone though will it? id be surprised if it was.
No one will be given a Superhub 2 as a direct replacement for their present kit as the majority work but you will get the serial complainers demanding they get one now or they will leave, now if retentions had the stones they would tell those customers to go look elsewhere.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 13:50   #80
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
If as VM claim the majority of average users have no issues with the Superhub, and most of us high-end picky types would rather buy our own routers anyway, what's the point of the Superhub 2 existing to begin with?

I suspect that the new SH is intended to overcome wireless shortcomings - to make the thing correspond with the VM advertising hype and to add dual-band wireless.

Key to this will be to ensure proper disposition of the antennae; also not to disable many router functions.

I don't know what chipset the SH2 will use but I suspect an upgrade in this area would be in order.

Finally, if it's Netgear (which it is), then VM firmware will still be in place. Will this be a case of 'nuff said or deja vu? R37 meeds to be good.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 13:57   #81
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
I suspect that the new SH is intended to overcome wireless shortcomings - to make the thing correspond with the VM advertising hype and to add dual-band wireless.

Key to this will be to ensure proper disposition of the antennae; also not to disable many router functions.

I don't know what chipset the SH2 will use but I suspect an upgrade in this area would be in order.

Finally, if it's Netgear (which it is), then VM firmware will still be in place. Will this be a case of 'nuff said or deja vu? R37 meeds to be good.
I have no interest in the new hub as my shub does what I require it to do in modem mode connected to a TPlink WR1043ND router with Gargoyle software on it..

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 14:00   #82
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:

Even when they tested the Huawei model the Virgin Media firmware was and is always going to the same or very similar as part of the corporate identity the company want for their products, same logins and same layout.
Old 01-12-2012, 14:02   #83
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Even when they tested the Huawei model the Virgin Media firmware was and is always going to the same or very similar as part of the corporate identity the company want for their products, same logins and same layout.
Same bugs?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 14:04   #84
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Could be a sign of building up stocks prior to the demise of Docis 1/2 and lifting all the users of Ambit modems to 60Mb.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 14:14   #85
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

VMNG300 or 256's etc.? if you mean the latter then no.
Old 01-12-2012, 14:17   #86
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I think you mean 30mbit dude
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 14:19   #87
thenry
Inactive

and it'll be SH1s for them until SH2 come out and are marked down as standard kit
Old 01-12-2012, 14:23   #88
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Yup. Even if the shub2 is the best thing since sliced bread i think we'll be plagued with shub1 for many months to come while they get rid if all the stock
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:54   #89
Peter_
Permanently Banned

The Superhub version 1 will never disappear or be replaced like for like as it would be to expensive, you will get a replacement when required but it will be whatever is picked off the shelf.
Old 01-12-2012, 15:58   #90
thenry
Inactive

no it wont be whatever is picked off the shelf.