Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] The News Corp scandal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] The News Corp scandal

Old 07-07-2011, 10:26   #166
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
The Royal British Legion has dropped NotW advertising.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...acking_Victims
The right and proper thing to do.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29   #167
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families

Quote:

Actually it's more serious than that (from the Guardian):

Quote:
The Royal British Legion has dropped the News of the World as its campaigning partner, it announced this morning, and is reviewing its advertising budget with parent company News International.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:54   #168
georgepomone
Inactive

Services: Tivo. VIP 120 Pack.
georgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to all

I have no sympathy for "News International".The same way I have no sympathy for all of these people screaming foul over hacking claims. A lot of these people seeking celebrity status ate at the trough. Newspapers will do whatever they can get away with to get a story,this has always been the case.They have been given too much leighway for too long without any checks on their actions.
I would have thought some limit would have been put in place when it was revealed they were using private investigators on a regular basis. It never was because the publiic was loving what was being revealed. If you don't believe that just ask yourself who sells the most papers.= NOTW and The Sun.
News International is what you asked for folks. Look how difficult it is to tame this beast now. Nobody wants to say anything against it because there are too many with something to hide. The big question was asked in the House of Commons yesterday about should they be allowed to take over B Sky B and is contiuing today in the Lord's.Nobody wants to lay it on the line.
News International just goes on as if it's nothing to do with them.They should now be brought to heel.Just don't hold your breath.Don't be fooled by the news today that soldiers families have been hacked. This is to steer opinion.Why would they hack you or a soldiers family.There isn't a news story there.
georgepomone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:08   #169
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

, Excellent news

I wonder who will be next.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:15   #170
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepomone View Post
Why would they hack you or a soldiers family.There isn't a news story there.
Fortunately you don't think like a journalist from the gutter press at The Sun and the NOTW!

They will exploit anything or anybody to sell "news"papers even if it means digging the dirt on a dead soldier!

I shall be boycotting all newspapers produced by News International and hope others will do the same, however I doubt Murdock will suffer much as he has politicians worldwide in his pocket who have accepted his extravagant hospitality over the years and that includes Cameron!
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:44   #171
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What we should do is instead of buying a NotW or family newspaper for a wek and put the money to one the the charities who have pulled out of them, I will.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:53   #172
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

If anyone thinks it was just News International papers up to this they are kidding themselves. There was this little nugget in a bailout a few months back.

Quote:
Back in 1999 a British man says he had some problems with his new mobile phone account.
His phone network found out his answer machine had been accessed by someone else. He was advised to change his phone and number and to set a password to protect his messages. The*phone company told him exactly how it was done*and*how to avoid it. So, being a good citizen, the man went to The Sun.
He thought the newspaper should do a big splash on this huge potential issue. They took down the details, told him how interesting it was and sent him away. Weirdly, he thought, no story ever appeared.
So he took the story to The Mirror. They too seemed interested. And yet, again, no story.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:19   #173
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepomone View Post
I have no sympathy for "News International".The same way I have no sympathy for all of these people screaming foul over hacking claims. A lot of these people seeking celebrity status ate at the trough. Newspapers will do whatever they can get away with to get a story,this has always been the case.They have been given too much leighway for too long without any checks on their actions.
I would have thought some limit would have been put in place when it was revealed they were using private investigators on a regular basis. It never was because the publiic was loving what was being revealed. If you don't believe that just ask yourself who sells the most papers.= NOTW and The Sun.
News International is what you asked for folks. Look how difficult it is to tame this beast now. Nobody wants to say anything against it because there are too many with something to hide. The big question was asked in the House of Commons yesterday about should they be allowed to take over B Sky B and is contiuing today in the Lord's.Nobody wants to lay it on the line.
News International just goes on as if it's nothing to do with them.They should now be brought to heel.Just don't hold your breath.Don't be fooled by the news today that soldiers families have been hacked. This is to steer opinion.Why would they hack you or a soldiers family.There isn't a news story there.
OK... I am a little confused as to what you are actually saying.. You appaear to be saying that while you accept that what NI has done is wrong, we are to blame for their actions, but on the other hand you have no sympathy for those crying foul because those seeking celebrity status "ate at the trough". Yet, you also appear to be saying that we are being manipulated into believing what NOTW did was worse that it actually was.

Let me answer that.

Yes, what News International did was wrong. As such, they should be held accountable. What you are saying is by supporting them, we are somehow to blame for their actions, in much the same way as you may blame a parent whose child steals. Guess what? News International is not a small child being taught wrong by it's parent. It's a huge multinational corporation, staffed by adults who know the difference between right and wrong. So, yes, they should be held accountable, and while the kind of tat they publish sells well, they should have known what they were doing was wrong and stopped it.

As for your statement about these "people eating at the trough". Assuming it is true, did the families of the dead soldiers "eat at the trough"? Did the families of all the victims of the 7/7 bombings or the parents of the murdered kids? Even the Celebrities who did don't deserve that. The way I see it, they do a job. They get paid. Beyond that, we have no right to find out what they do. Let me ask you. If I bought a product from you, does that give me any rights to find out what's going on in your life beyond the sale of that product? Does it give me the right to hack into your voicemail? No, of course, it does not.

Personally, I have never thought one corporation owning so much media is a good thing. It gives them too much power.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:20   #174
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
If anyone thinks it was just News International papers up to this they are kidding themselves. There was this little nugget in a bailout a few months back.
It's not. Check the link from The Spectator Matt posted a while back.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:25   #175
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What we should do is instead of buying a NotW or family newspaper for a wek and put the money to one the the charities who have pulled out of them, I will.
I have never bought a NI paper and never will but as you say everyone that has should give the money for a week to a charity.
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:47   #176
georgepomone
Inactive

Services: Tivo. VIP 120 Pack.
georgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
OK... I am a little confused as to what you are actually saying.. You appaear to be saying that while you accept that what NI has done is wrong, we are to blame for their actions, but on the other hand you have no sympathy for those crying foul because those seeking celebrity status "ate at the trough". Yet, you also appear to be saying that we are being manipulated into believing what NOTW did was worse that it actually was.

Let me answer that.

Yes, what News International did was wrong. As such, they should be held accountable. What you are saying is by supporting them, we are somehow to blame for their actions, in much the same way as you may blame a parent who's child steals. Guess what? News International is not a small child being taught wrong by it's parent. It's a huge multinational corporation, staffed by adults who know the difference between right and wrong. So, yes, they should be held accountable, and while the kind of tat they publish sells well, they should have known what they were doing was wrong and stopped it.

As for your statement about these "people eating at the trough". Assuming it is true, did the families of the dead soldiers "eat at the trough"? Did the families of all the victims of the 7/7 bombings or the parents of the murdered kids? Even the Celebrities who did don't deserve that. The way I see it, they do a job. They get paid. Beyond that, we have no right to find out what they do. Let me ask you. If I bought a product from you, does that give me any rights to find out what's going on in your life beyond the sale of that product? Does it give me the right to hack into your voicemail? No, of course, it does not.

Personally, I have never thought one corporation owning so much media is a good thing. It gives them too much power.
I agree with what you say Stuart. All I'm trying to say is that News International wouldn't be where they are without the huge support they have had from the public and people with jobs in high places. It's time to cut that support but it just will not happen unless something happens now and I can't see it happening.
georgepomone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:48   #177
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I don't know if this has been linked to already but I thought Hugh Grant was great.
Old 07-07-2011, 14:27   #178
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
I shall be boycotting all newspapers produced by News International and hope others will do the same, however I doubt Murdock will suffer much as he has politicians worldwide in his pocket who have accepted his extravagant hospitality over the years and that includes Cameron!
I already did this, in 1989.
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:28   #179
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

It seems like they are losing a lot of advertising revenue?

Quote:
Businesses who have withdrawn advertising from NoW
Company Comment Amount spent on advertising in NoW Jul 2010-June 2011
SPENDING ON ADVERTISING INFORMATION FROM NIELSEN
O2
"We share the concerns of customers and employees about these quite shocking claims"
£1,084,000
Boots
"We have put on hold further advertising with the NoW. An advertisement, which was printed some time ago, however, will appear in this Sunday's Fabulous magazine."
£809,000
Lloyds Banking Group
Pulled its advert for this week as "a tactical decision" and reviewing the longer-term position.
£518,000 (Halifax and Lloyds TSB)
Vauxhall
Suspends advertising in the News of the World. Will reconsider its position pending the outcome of investigations into hacking allegations
£491,700
Sainsbury's
"Due to the rising concerns of our customers we are suspending any advertising in the NOTW until the outcome of the investigation."
£293,000
Npower
"We are suspending current advertising with the News of the World. We will continue to review our options going forward."
£207,000
Ford
The first to pull out, but left the door open to advertising with other News International titles.
£188,000
Co-op
"The Co-operative Group is a consumer-owned business which adheres to strong ethical standards. These allegations have been met with revulsion by the vast majority of members who have contacted us."
£100,000 (supermarkets and financial services)
Thomson and First Choice
"We have no plans to advertise this week."
£20,000
Aldi
Pulling its adverts from the Irish edition
£24,000
Mitsubishi
"We didn't want to have anything to do with a paper that would behave in that way." The firm will give its unspent money to charity ChildLine.
SPENDING ON ADVERTISING INFORMATION FROM NIELSEN
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14059572
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:32   #180
yesman

No Tesco yet then, I wonder why.