Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help me with my networked printer please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help me with my networked printer please

Old 04-07-2008, 22:47   #1
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2
Help me with my networked printer please

Hi guys,
i wonder if any of you have come across this?
i have networked my new printer and it works fine but it has got a scanner on it too but i can't get it to scan it just says it's either not connected or the cable is not plugged in

i have the printer on my main base pc via usb set to shared on network if that makes sense i just can't find the scanner on the network or get it to scan??
hope that makes sense

tia
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2008, 23:16   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Help me with my networked printer please

Scanners don't share too well via a network purely because they need two way communications...

Check your scanner manufacturers webpage as they should have details as to if you can scan via a network and if so what you need to do it.

If you can't find anything then it would be helpfull if you post the following information..

Which scanner you have..
Which OS on the PC's that share and are trying to access the scanner

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 23:22   #3
saabmania2

saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Scanners don't share too well via a network purely because they need two way communications...

Check your scanner manufacturers webpage as they should have details as to if you can scan via a network and if so what you need to do it.

If you can't find anything then it would be helpfull if you post the following information..

Which scanner you have..
Which OS on the PC's that share and are trying to access the scanner

Kymmy
ok thanks kymmy,
i suppose i was assuming that i could network it as it's a multifunction printer i.e with scanner built in, i will check the manufactuers website and have a looksee
p.s by the way it's a canon mp510 and both pc's are using vista
Old 04-07-2008, 23:31   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

OK, quick reply...

Vista doesn;t support a lot of drivers programs as yet, I'll check up on the software needed and will get back to you

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 23:31 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Question...is the device connected directly via the ethernet or do you have it USB'd/Cabled directly to a PC and shared from there?

Also have you tried installing the device software on each client PC and telling it where the device is... (i.e. \\pcname\prinername\ or via IP ) ??

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 23:35   #5
saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
OK, quick reply...

Vista doesn;t support a lot of drivers programs as yet, I'll check up on the software needed and will get back to you

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 23:31 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Question...is the device connected directly via the ethernet or do you have it USB'd/Cabled directly to a PC and shared from there?

Kymmy
it's directly plugged into the back of my main pc via usb (just like a standard printer would be) then shared via the standard windows networking tool
thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 11:19   #6
saabmania2

Problem solved i downloaded capturix scanshare and it all works now
thanks for your help Kymmy
Old 06-07-2008, 23:54   #7
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmania2 View Post
Problem solved i downloaded capturix scanshare and it all works now
thanks for your help Kymmy
Does capturix scanshare just work on your make of printer/scanner or could it be used for other makes?
Reason I ask is I have a HP USB all-in-one that I have shared, the printer has no problems being shared and I can print from any pc on my network, just would be good if I could get it to scan too from any pc
Angry@VMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 00:08   #8
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

According to this it's only been tested with the PSC1410. However, as the OP's device isn't on that list, you've nothing to lose by downloading & trying it for free...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 00:10   #9
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
According to this it's only been tested with the PSC1410. However, as the OP's device isn't on that list, you've nothing to lose by downloading & trying it for free...
Thanks Kevin!
Will download it now and try it in the morning and then post back with the results
Angry@VMedia is offline   Reply With Quote