Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One of a thousand

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

One of a thousand

Old 07-02-2011, 11:21   #226
Cozzy
Inactive

Cozzy is on a distinguished roadCozzy is on a distinguished road
Re: One of a thousand

some had pre registered ... some had not ... some didnt even know what tivo was ... and my understanding of the explanation is its a usability test to see if customers who arent so tech savvy can handle the new device as well as those who are tech savvy ..

again I dont object to that kind of testing had they chosen 1000 random customers then had pre registrations .. or had chosen 1000 from the pre registered .. that makes sense but to have peeps register then ignore that registered list is poor practise IMHO (doesnt matter if 999 were registered and 1 not ... its still a mockery of having the list in the first place and then ignoring it)

as I have stated before .. i am not in a hurry .. and i wont even get tivo if they insist on card payment by phone .. i just want equality and parity with others when the product is fully available
Cozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2011, 11:22   #227
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
some had pre registered ... some had not ... some didnt even know what tivo was ... and my understanding of the explanation is its a usability test to see if customers who arent so tech savvy can handle the new device as well as those who are tech savvy ..

again I dont object to that kind of testing had they chosen 1000 random customers then had pre registrations .. or had chosen 1000 from the pre registered .. that makes sense but to have peeps register then ignore that registered list is poor practise IMHO (doesnt matter if 999 were registered and 1 not ... its still a mockery of having the list in the first place and then ignoring it)

as I have stated before .. i am not in a hurry .. and i wont even get tivo if they insist on card payment by phone .. i just want equality and parity with others when the product is fully available
When I was called they said you must pay there and then by card.

I would imagine it might screw up those with credit limits otherwise.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:35   #228
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:

VM haven't ignored the registered list of customers, they are still getting called. The 1000 was a mix of VIP50 customers that had either registered or not, partly as they are highest paying customers were given a wee surprise

As I have said a few times VM aren't ignoring all the registered users, you will all get a call. VM are trying to be nice and get TiVo out to as many people as possible and hope that word of mouth will intitially help get people talking about TiVo. Which so far it has.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09   #229
Cozzy
Inactive

Cozzy is on a distinguished roadCozzy is on a distinguished road

are we getting a clearer picture now .....

some VIP50 ... some VIP20 .. some who registered ... some who didnt register ... and any combination of those ... so

if a VIP50 customer registered and didnt get lucky then they get relegated from "among the first" to 4th in line after this ... and a VIP20 customer who didnt even know what tivo was and didnt register gets from Nth position to 3rd in line ... thats the point im trying to get across ... bit of a shambles however you defend it

and yes i maybe being picky and you may defend it being a VM employee but they have miss handled this by randomly selecting from the VIP customers ignoring the fact the whole point of a registration list is that it should be first (a reward for registering) & not randomly selecting customers from a particular much wider group

this is all IMHO of which i am entitled being a full paying customer
Cozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:14   #230
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
are we getting a clearer picture now .....

some VIP50 ... some VIP20 .. some who registered ... some who didnt register ... and any combination of those ... so

if a VIP50 customer registered and didnt get lucky then they get relegated from "among the first" to 4th in line after this ... and a VIP20 customer who didnt even know what tivo was and didnt register gets from Nth position to 3rd in line ... thats the point im trying to get across ... bit of a shambles however you defend it

and yes i maybe being picky and you may defend it being a VM employee but they have miss handled this by randomly selecting from the VIP customers ignoring the fact the whole point of a registration list is that it should be first (a reward for registering) & not randomly selecting customers from a particular much wider group

this is all IMHO of which i am entitled being a full paying customer
I bet you wouldn't have moaned if it was you who got picked
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:15   #231
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

TIVO is a great piece of kit , I've used the Premiere on one of my trips to the US and the UI is great and it makes finding your shows a doddle , however the apps and extras will help move boxes for VM , the Netflix is great on the US TIVO so hope we get an amazon/lovefilm app eventually. Remember VM need TIVO and TIVO need VM to strengthen there brand name internationally.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:26   #232
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
TIVO is a great piece of kit , I've used the Premiere on one of my trips to the US and the UI is great and it makes finding your shows a doddle , however the apps and extras will help move boxes for VM , the Netflix is great on the US TIVO so hope we get an amazon/lovefilm app eventually. Remember VM need TIVO and TIVO need VM to strengthen there brand name internationally.
Netflix and Amazon are NOT available on cable operator supplied Tivo's like VM's, only the third party kit which you purchase yourself but then you currently cannot access their own on demand content, you can with operator supplied tivo though. it's mostly one or the other over there.

Only one operator allows access to Blockbuster with their own tivo and that's about it, they may well be part of the same company though I don't really know.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:45   #233
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I would imagine that's down to the cable co not wanting to lose on demand movie revenue. Hopefully Virgin can find a middle ground which is beneficial to both companies.
Old 07-02-2011, 13:05   #234
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
I would imagine that's down to the cable co not wanting to lose on demand movie revenue. Hopefully Virgin can find a middle ground which is beneficial to both companies.
I would imagine that's exactly why and in fairness VM have never suggested anything like that would become available, not what I have read anyway.

I would assume they will follow a very similar path to the US operators.
Old 07-02-2011, 13:09   #235
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

According to Cindy Rose there open to discussion with all partys.

http://m.paidcontent.co.uk/article/4...-tv-explosion/
Old 07-02-2011, 13:13   #236
tjay2
Inactive

Services: XL TV, XL PHONE, XXL BROADBAND & V+
tjay2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i cant believe people are moaning just because they think they are entitled to the free tivo over other people. No doubt the 1000 people were done at random and its great that the company are giving something back.

Personally i think its great marketing and makes me think much more positively im not bothered i wasnt selected but if i was id be pretty happy.

Just because you pay more than someone else each month doesnt make you more loyal than the next person. Loyalty has nothing to with money.

I would say im hugely loyal to the virgin brand and constantly recommend all their products and businesses across the board however I can categorically say Im 100% sure i dont pay as much as some of you on here, this doesnt make me any less loyal than you.

Its childish sour grapes being bitter about someone getting something yet you feel you deserve it.

Hats off to VM i think this is a great way to repay some customers and a great marketing idea!!!
tjay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 13:23   #237
woody39
Inactive

Services: XL tv, Tivo 1TB and Tivo 500GB 20Mb - hub
woody39 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay2 View Post
i cant believe people are moaning just because they think they are entitled to the free tivo over other people. No doubt the 1000 people were done at random and its great that the company are giving something back.

Personally i think its great marketing and makes me think much more positively im not bothered i wasnt selected but if i was id be pretty happy.

Just because you pay more than someone else each month doesnt make you more loyal than the next person. Loyalty has nothing to with money.

I would say im hugely loyal to the virgin brand and constantly recommend all their products and businesses across the board however I can categorically say Im 100% sure i dont pay as much as some of you on here, this doesnt make me any less loyal than you.

Its childish sour grapes being bitter about someone getting something yet you feel you deserve it.

Hats off to VM i think this is a great way to repay some customers and a great marketing idea!!!
I completely agree, I would love to have been 'one of a thousand' but feel no animosity to those who are , or to VirginMedia for not including me.
I very rarely post but am because I'm amazed at all the whining and 'I'm writing to the CEO's office because I pay x amount per month and want something for nothing' posts. Get a grip!
woody39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 13:26   #238
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
According to Cindy Rose there open to discussion with all partys.

http://m.paidcontent.co.uk/article/4...-tv-explosion/
Yes she did. Also there was an article in the Guardian saying that now that Amazon had taken over Lovefilm there was a chance that such a big player could challenge the dominance that Murdoch has over the film studios. It would be great if this were to happen. We customers desperately need some competition to open up in the content market. VM on their own can't do anything but maybe a big more solvent company like Amazon can.

Another thing I remember Cindy Rose saying that is relevant to a lot of the discussion in this thread is that up until April VM had enough money to buy in and install a certain amount of Tivo boxes. That being the case I think it's possible that many of us wont be be getting a Tivo box until after the start of the new financial year.
Old 07-02-2011, 13:30   #239
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
Yes she did. Also there was an article in the Guardian saying that now that Amazon had taken over Lovefilm there was a chance that such a big player could challenge the dominance that Murdoch has over the film studios. It would be great if this were to happen. We customers desperately need some competition to open up in the content market. VM on their own can't do anything but maybe a big more solvent company like Amazon can.
I have LoveFilm as an app on our new TV set, it's quite good actually.
Old 07-02-2011, 13:32   #240
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

As some one who has no interest in TiVo and after reading most of the comments in the thread the idea of 1000 was a good one , but has been badly executed. IMO a better idea would have been to say up front at pre registration ,"we shall be picking 1000 lucky customers at random", this would have made it clear to everyone of the random element, this may have nullified some of the complaints on here. Again we have poor communication from VM.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote