Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Configuring A Netgear Wireless Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Configuring A Netgear Wireless Router

Old 17-03-2008, 14:28   #1
Acey
Inactive

Acey is an unknown quantity at this point
Configuring A Netgear Wireless Router

Hi,

The other week, I accidentally reset my Netgear WGT624v3 wireless router (as in, restored factory defaults). I'm an idiot, yes.

My problem is that now, I can't access the interent using my wireless connection. The best I can get is "local only" access, which doesn't help me at all.

My modem works perfectly; I've connected my laptop directly to the modem using an ethernet cable, which is how I'm using the internet at the moment. However, as soon as I go back to how I accessed the internet before resetting the router, I'm stuck with "local only" access.

My IP address is also different to how it was before (with the router). It ended in .148, whereas my current IP address is: 77.97.206.9

Can anyone help me with configuring my router, please?

I have my VM account card to hand, so can (hopefully) supply any information needed!

Thanks,
-Acey
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2008, 15:01   #2
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road
Re: Configuring A Netgear Wireless Router

need to reset SSID and channel number. type in 192.168.1.1 enter admin as password and check the wireless settings. do this while connected with a cat5e cable. you will need to reset the wpa (tkip) password as well.

if you need more info the go to

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGT624v3.asp

cheers

bigsinky
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 15:11   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Have you tried powering off the modem, router and PC, then powering up modem, let settle, then router, let settle, then PC? Resetting the router may have made the modem think it's a new device attached to it.

If you are able to browse locally to the router's admin pages from your computer(s) then you know that the connection is set up OK. You will want to re-eanble wireless security though.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 15:24   #4
Acey
Inactive

Acey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Have you tried powering off the modem, router and PC, then powering up modem, let settle, then router, let settle, then PC? Resetting the router may have made the modem think it's a new device attached to it.

If you are able to browse locally to the router's admin pages from your computer(s) then you know that the connection is set up OK. You will want to re-eanble wireless security though.
1) I've done the "switch off - switch on" thing in frustration enough to know that it isn't fixing the problem!

2) Like I said, the modem itself works fine; I just wish I knew what the guy who set up my router in the first place did... For example, do I need to input my VM "internet username" / "account number" anywhere?

For want of a more technical explanation, I think that the problem is that VM aren't assigning the correct IP/DNS address for my router...feel free to laugh at my feeble techincal knowledge, by the way!
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 16:23   #5
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

need to reset SSID and channel number. type in 192.168.1.1 enter admin as password and check the wireless settings. do this while connected with a cat5e cable. you will need to reset the wpa (tkip) password as well.

Ensure the IP address your PC/or laptop is in the same range, i.e. 192.168.1.X

You may also have to disable your proxy.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote