Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 12-01-2012, 17:31   #181
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillz View Post
Sky TV trumps tivo imo , ive been with sky for years and never had a single issue with the services received , sky is so much simpler to use and the box never freezes on me unlike tivo.
Like all services there will be some areas where sky will perform better (sky HD box),and some areas where virgin (TiVo) will be better both are not the same in regards to the services they provide.

Like many on here i have never had a real problem with my service either NTL or VM over the years.

Mind you sky would have trouble providing an anytime service to me i can only get 1 MB at best 1.5 MB over my phone line.
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2012, 17:38   #182
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Care to elaborate Den ?
Superior EPG
Wishlists
Suggestions
Apps and many more to come including far superior BBC interactivety then Sky will ever have

Its own dedicated 10mb connection
The potential to deliver streamed content
Menus/GUI: Ease of Use
Catch-Up/Video on Demand (VOD) Services
And more more features as well
Old 12-01-2012, 17:42   #183
pillz
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD , Virgin 50Meg , Virgin Phone
pillz will become famous soon enoughpillz will become famous soon enoughpillz will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to pillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Superior EPG
Wishlists
Suggestions
Apps and many more to come including far superior BBC interactivety then Sky

All crap it doesn't need , its a glorified skybox and the 10mb modem works like a dial up modem , it takes years to buffer stuff down here in my neck of the woods , and on top of that the menus on sky are 100x easier to use and faster and you dont get DONG or BEEP when your changing channels! =D
pillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:47   #184
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
All crap it doesn't need , its a glorified skybox and the 10mb modem works like a dial up modem , it takes years to buffer stuff down here in my neck of the woods , and on top of that the menus on sky are 100x easier to use and faster and you dont get DONG or BEEP when your changing channels! =D
Perhaps if we has a poll l think you would find that the vast majority of people would vote for the superiority of Tivo rather then trhe old hat and tired Sky box.
Old 12-01-2012, 17:48   #185
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Last post as not wishing to enter into yet another SKY v VM debate on here.

But you could say sky HD box is a TiVo box as sky had a partnership with TiVo first and after getting all TiVos know how sky done the dirty its all on the net if you look.

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...uk-flop-674341
Old 12-01-2012, 18:57   #186
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Superior EPG
Wishlists
Suggestions
Apps and many more to come including far superior BBC interactivety then Sky will ever have

And more more features as well
What about dynamic EPG , bbc/sky sports red button , reminders , easy intuitive use , speed of box , superior remote record apps I'm pretty sure the Sky+HD box isn't the dinosaur you believe it to be.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 19:18   #187
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
What about dynamic EPG , bbc/sky sports red button , reminders , easy intuitive use , speed of box , superior remote record apps I'm pretty sure the Sky+HD box isn't the dinosaur you believe it to be.
First of all and l am sure deep down you will admit this in that the Tivo EPG is superior in most aspects and secondly once the BBC apps launch they will blow Sky's red button out of the water in regards to the BBC red button interactivety with 24 streams for the Olympics compared to Sky's how many, Now on to the other so called superior things like reminders to start off with as these are highly likely to come sometime in the next year and as for easy intuitive use well frankly the Tivo is as smooth as it comes and as for superior record apps well l suppose that is in the eye of the beholder in my mind and finally the Tivo is what other PVRs have always promised but have so often failed to deliver and the Tivo has delivered that by the bucketload.
Old 12-01-2012, 19:27   #188
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
First of all and l am sure deep down you will admit this in that the Tivo EPG is superior in most aspects and secondly once the BBC apps launch they will blow Sky's red button out of the water in regards to the BBC red button interactivety with 24 streams for the Olympics compared to Sky's how many, Now on to the other so called superior things like reminders to start off with as these are highly likely to come sometime in the next year and as for easy intuitive use well frankly the Tivo is as smooth as it comes and as for superior record apps well l suppose that is in the eye of the beholder in my mind and finally the Tivo is what other PVRs have always promised but have so often failed to deliver and the Tivo has delivered that by the bucketload.
The EPG may currently have a more modern look on TIVO but the Sky guide data is generally far more reliable as is speed and ease of use , each to their own though.
Old 12-01-2012, 19:44   #189
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

The real jewel in TiVos crown in my opinion is the 3 Tuners. If I do end up moving to Sky, that will undoubtably be the feature I miss the most!
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 19:49   #190
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
The real jewel in TiVos crown in my opinion is the 3 Tuners. If I do end up moving to Sky, that will undoubtably be the feature I miss the most!
You need to do some serious thinking a question for you. Why do you want to move to Sky ?
Old 12-01-2012, 19:58   #191
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I certainly do have some thinking to do MM & It's something I've been mulling over for the past few weeks.

The main reason is for the Sky HD channels that aren't available on VM (Sky Atlantic, Sky Sports 3,4 & F1HD, Sky Sports News HD, Disney Cinemagic HD, ITV2 HD etc) it would be really nice not to have to wonder if or when VM will ever get the channels. Coupled with this is the fact that I really enjoy using the Sky iPad app and most of them now carry a monthly sub if you're not a Sky subscriber.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:07   #192
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
I certainly do have some thinking to do MM & It's something I've been mulling over for the past few weeks.

The main reason is for the Sky HD channels that aren't available on VM (Sky Atlantic, Sky Sports 3,4 & F1HD, Sky Sports News HD, Disney Cinemagic HD, ITV2 HD etc) it would be really nice not to have to wonder if or when VM will ever get the channels. Coupled with this is the fact that I really enjoy using the Sky iPad app and most of them now carry a monthly sub if you're not a Sky subscriber.
They are all excellent features you mention , I'll give you my opinion and stay neutral

VM+ points
3 tuners
Faster BB depends what you use it for I mainly browse and stream Video which is fine on my connection.
VM OD is a better delivery method
Free ESPN costs 9.00 on Sky if you have sky sports

Sky+ points
Better linear TV choice especially HD
Better mobile apps
Cheaper phone packages
Sky 1TB records 240 hrs HD double TIVO 1TB
Sky 3D included in Sky world pack
Old 12-01-2012, 22:45   #193
Jameseh

Quote:
Sky 1TB records 240 hrs HD double TIVO 1TB
Either they're using magic or the shows are compressed to hell?
Old 12-01-2012, 22:57   #194
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Either they're using magic or the shows are compressed to hell?
The HD PQ is just fine ,It's called mpeg 4 James

Here you go
http://www.sky.com/shop/boxes/1TB
Old 12-01-2012, 23:03   #195
Jameseh

Wish I had Sky.