Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How are new tees left when finished?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Replacement cabling

Old 03-10-2016, 15:01   #1
maff101
Inactive

maff101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacement cabling

Can someone advise where I might be able to obtain some replacement cabling of the type used to connect the internal white wall mounted box to the back of the VM Superhub?

When I had my installation done a few months ago, I asked the engineer to leave some excess length in this cable as I was planning to move the Superhub elsewhere in the room. Now my plans have changed and I'd like to get a shorter replacement cable with the plugs on the end. Are these available anywhere?

Thanks.
maff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2016, 15:12   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Replacement cabling

Satellite-grade coaxial cable will do the trick. If you can find a length for sale that is the length you need, with moulded connectors on either end, so much the better. If you have to cut to length yourself, try to use connectors you can crimp into place, and make sure there are no stray strands of copper braid when you're done, especially no strands that might touch the cable's solid core.

You can get sat coax absolutely anywhere. Try Maplins website or eBay.

Caveat: if signal levels in your house are near tolerance, changing the cable length can upset your service. Proceed with caution.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:06   #3
maff101
Inactive

maff101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Chris.
maff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 19:28   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Satellite-grade coaxial cable will do the trick. If you can find a length for sale that is the length you need, with moulded connectors on either end, so much the better. If you have to cut to length yourself, try to use connectors you can crimp into place, and make sure there are no stray strands of copper braid when you're done, especially no strands that might touch the cable's solid core.

You can get sat coax absolutely anywhere. Try Maplins website or eBay.

Caveat: if signal levels in your house are near tolerance, changing the cable length can upset your service. Proceed with caution.
Please never ever ever recommend maplins, they ususally recommend honeycomb cable which is carp
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 22:03   #5
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Honeycomb cable

As a service tech, causes freezing pics

As a network engineer, lots of noise!
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote