Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I Need Help From Fellow Members

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is a selection process an interview? Any HR people?

Old 03-02-2008, 17:24   #1
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future
Is a selection process an interview? Any HR people?

Hi Guys and Gals.
Ive basically been lucky enough to secure an interview doing something Id really like to get into!
Although the interview letter is some what ambiguous and says I have been invited to participate in the selection process, although further down while noting what documents I need to bring it does say interview.

There is also no mention of an interview panel which I found strange, just one contact.

The other thing I found odd, is the interview / selection process is at 10am and my surname is towards the end of the alphabet, although maybe they don't plan like that.

Just wondered if anyone knew what a selection process was and if it differs from an interview?
Also what criteria HR use now for interviews in relation to candidate place.

Its also a public sector organisation so im concerned the jobs not already gone, fingers crossed!
Thanks
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2008, 17:51   #2
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society
Re: Is a selection process an interview? Any HR people?

A 'selection process' could mean anything, probably means you have an assesment centre involving a number of areas one of which will be an interview
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 17:56   #3
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

I thought it might invlove a test but then do they not usually tell you if there is a test on the interview letter so you can prepare a bit?
Old 03-02-2008, 17:57   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Ring up before and ask what the format of the day is.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 18:02   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop80_uk View Post
I thought it might invlove a test but then do they not usually tell you if there is a test on the interview letter so you can prepare a bit?
If they plan to give you a psychometric test then they probably don't want you to prepare, to make it as objective as possible?

a google on 'psychometric' comes up with a few sites that offer advice & sample tests, though
Old 03-02-2008, 18:04   #6
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
Good advice, and don't forget to mention this at the interview.

You will of course also be familiar with your potential employer. Some knowledge of recent successes is always a good tactic!
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 20:58   #7
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

A selection process is normally a lot more than an interview. In the selection process it would normally contain an interview along with some extra bits. they may ask you to do some role play or have some other tests.
Unless you know someone on the inside its difficult to practise some of the other sections.

But Heres some questions that they may ask that I would have answers prepared before hand. you can always ammend them if the questions are slightly different.
Some would be specific to a certian role, but others are general to most jobs.

If you've got some prepared answerd for the interview it will reduce some of the stress of it, and hopefully make it more successfull.
sorry for the long post!

1. What initiatives have you previously undertaken when business levels have been low or when you may have struggled to meet a goal?
What was the situation?
what action or initative did you take it?
why did you do that?
what else could you have done?
how difficult was it to achive?
What was te outcome?
How did you feel afterwards?

2. Tell me about a time when you have a succesfully persuaded somone to your point of view.
What was the situation?
Why did they have that opinion?
What did you say?
Why did you want to convince them?
What was the outcome?
Could you have done it differently?
How did you feel?

3. Tell me about a time when you have worked with other colleagues to achieve sales targets or a collective goal.
what did you do?
why did you do this?
who else did you involve?
what was the outcome?
what feedback did you get?
with hindsight, would you have done anything differently?

4. What was the last mistake you made?
What was the situation?
What was involved?
How did you find out about the mistake?
what did you do?
did you tell anyone?
did you have to tell anyone?
how did you feel?
what was the impact?
how did other people feel?
what did you learn?
what would you do differently?

5. Give me an example of when you have dealt with a customer complaint.
How did the issue arrise?
what was your conversation with the customer?
what steps did you take to attempt to resolve the situation?
who esle did you involve?
what was the outcome?
with hindsight, could you have done anything differently?

6. Give me an example of when you have helped someone gain the same level of understanding as you have about a particular topic.
Why did you need to do this?
How did you approach the situation?
what was the individual's reaction?
how did their reaction impact your approach?
what was the outcome?
what feedback did you recieve if any?

7. Tell me about an aspect of your role that requires accuracy or you had to minimise risk.
What is the task or situation?
what are the risks or impacts?
what did you do to ensure the risk or impact is minimised?
How do you feel about these aspects of your role?
have you ever made a mistake or has it gone wrong for you?
what happened?
what did you do?
what could you have done differently?

8. Tell me about a situation when you have had to cope with a particularly demanding task?
what did you do to ensure you cope?
how did you feel?
how often are you asked to achieve difficult goals?
what would have been the impact of not doing it well?
what were the risks or decisions to be made?
why was it particularly demanding?

9. tell me about one of the toughest challenges you have been faced with in your current or most recent position.
what did you have to do?
why did you feel you needed to do that?
what made it difficult?
how long did it take?
how often do you face challenges or setbacks?
how did you feel?
how did you handle this?
what was the outcome?

Hope you can get some use out of all that!
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 20:59   #8
tweetypie/8
Permanently Banned

Services: vmxl virgin vmbb virgin mobile
tweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
first class advice, and i sincerely hope they are not wasting your time by filling the post internally good luck.
tweetypie/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 22:06   #9
pop80_uk
Inactive

Thanks everyone, especially lostandconfused a great piece there.
A little concerned(maybe thats the wrong word) as I thought they may for warn applicants if there were things like appitude tests or role play so you could prepare a little bit.

Maybe they dont now though

I really hope its not filled internally as well, ive taken a day off work and done loads of prep work for it, but that is my biggest worry. Does that happen alot with civil service jobs?
Old 03-02-2008, 22:15   #10
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

I wouldnt worry about it, as everyone else is going to be in the same boat.

They try not to give too much away as its not a test of the persons skills, more of how much research they've done (although do as much research on the company as you can)

Also any apptitude tests would assume that you have no knowledge of the business as they would be testing your communication skill rather than your knowledge on the subject.
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 23:18   #11
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Ask them if their assessment process - either for recruitment or internal performance - is competence based - and if it is, find out what those competencies are. The job description should give a clue.

So for instance if one of the competencies is 'leadership' prepare an example you could discuss about where you've used leadership skills to achieve an objective.

Work examples are good but they usually don't mind/actively like examples from 'real life' too.
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote