Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 21-03-2012, 12:19   #961
gcampbell
Inactive

Services: Sky + HD
gcampbell is on a distinguished roadgcampbell is on a distinguished road
Re: TV price rises

I switched to Sky at the start of the year and if prices do go up in September then the way I look at it is like this, what's the worst scenario?

Be with Sky who put up their prices and provide all the TV programmes that I want to see

or

Be with Virgin who put up their prices and don't provide all the TV programmes that I want to see
gcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2012, 12:30   #962
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz2810i View Post
That may be the case but not more than the £40 I will be saving by joining Sky and cutting the Movie channels

TBH I am still questioning my decision as I will be going from fast BB to very slow BB + I have an aweful feeling I will miss TV immensly

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

That is kinda where I am at. How did you get that deal, thats a great price.
You can use any ISP now to access Anytime+ so taking Sky BB is not necessary.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 14:03   #963
daggman
Inactive

Services: 30MB broadband XL, thats all now after Price rises and F1 for 22.50, so sky tv for me.
daggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz2810i View Post

[/COLOR]

That is kinda where I am at. How did you get that deal, thats a great price.

i had sky before for tv only and keep getting offers to come back , by far the best offer they have sent, coincidence ? them knowing i left for virgin and that bills were going up.

we kept Virgin XL broadband and have Anytime+ thru that.

daggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 14:06   #964
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You can use any ISP now to access Anytime+ so taking Sky BB is not necessary.
My ADSL is poor no matter who am with. Sky for ADSL is cheap enough so that doesn't bother me. If I was going to use another provider it would have to be cable by Virgin or Infinity by BT but that would negate the goal of saving money.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:50   #965
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

"23 HD channels at no extra cost" they say, yet when you look at the TV XL vs TV L channel list you will see that the main difference is premium HD channels. FTA HD is of course included in L as you would expect.

smoke and mirrors eh ?
ntl.wotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 14:11   #966
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Of course, the "23 HD channels..." probably only refers to their top, XL, pack which does indeed list 23 HD channels in its line-up. So no, not "smoke and mirrors" at all. Just a statement of fact, as far as I can tell.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 16:55   #967
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

May have made the wrong decision but I decided to stay with Virgin in the end. Sky Atlantic, extra HD and cheaper subs just wasn't enough to take me away from super fast BB, TiVO, ESPN and great VOD.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 22:59   #968
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Can anyone confirm VIP50 price increases (with 2 TIVOS). VM wrote to me to say that my bill was going up just over £4 per month, but I have the latest bill and it has gone up over £7 per month! It looks like they have added an extra TIVO fee onto the bill. I only ordered my 2nd TIVO last year for the imminent multi room streaming and to because we were told signing up before a certain date (November if I recall correctly) that we wouldn't be liable for the TIVO fee on the 2nd box. Is this a billing error or have I been shafted? Apologies if this has already been discussed.
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46   #969
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

I rang and spoke to a retentions guy yesterday. He used the following things against me:

1: Lied about how much up/down I use "on average" claiming hundreds of GB per month.
2: Claimed virgin are VERY competitive and basically harped on about how their broadband is amazing and nowhere else would get close.

I expained over and over that I don't care for the 50mb broadband (I do really) and that I mainly just wanted to go to sky to reduce costs and get slightly better TV. He just went round and round in a circle hapring on about how their broadband was amazing. I told him that ok that's all nice, but can I still cancel given you have risen prics on all three things and would I suffer cancelation fees as a result. Took me about 15 minutes for him to basically admit that yes "you can go down that road if you feel you must do". I said all I really want is for you to reduce the increase of £4.10 down to just £1 and I will stay with you. Couldn't give me any discount if I stayed on 50mb tier. If I came down to 30mb broadband he would discount it by about £8.
Not worth it to me.
I said I would consider my options for a day and then ring back if I decide to cancel.
He was pretty stubborn, polite, but stubborn. I basically told him I disagree with his findings of my broadband usage and he was quite intrusive as to what I use it for. lol. I was like...err stuff, now get lost.
Sky could be in my future....
Gonna give it some thought over next day.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 16:44   #970
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
I rang and spoke to a retentions guy yesterday. He used the following things against me:

1: Lied about how much up/down I use "on average" claiming hundreds of GB per month.
2: Claimed virgin are VERY competitive and basically harped on about how their broadband is amazing and nowhere else would get close.

I expained over and over that I don't care for the 50mb broadband (I do really)
So you're complaining that VM lied to you (even though they will have the figures to hand, I assume), but you have no problem lying to them? That's called hypocrisy, and - for me - completely negates the rest of your post.
Old 01-04-2012, 16:56   #971
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I've had to read your post several times, and I'm still not sure I've got it right? You wanted a £3 discount, but refused an £8 discount when the only difference would be to drop your broadband from 50 to 30 mb, before watching it double to 60? Alrighty then...
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 16:58   #972
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

That's how I read it too. Maybe we're both wrong?
Old 01-04-2012, 20:06   #973
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I've had to read your post several times, and I'm still not sure I've got it right? You wanted a £3 discount, but refused an £8 discount when the only difference would be to drop your broadband from 50 to 30 mb, before watching it double to 60? Alrighty then...
Quality reply mate.....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:32   #974
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Not going daft then. When I read the post I went back to the start again,thought I had misread it
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53   #975
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Just to point out that any broadband changes are now on to the new tier/speeds immediately. So if you get put on 30Mbit, it won't change again as it'll be L 30 not XL 30.