Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Old 17-01-2012, 09:49   #601
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age
Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Sadly this is what we're going to put up with time after time now that we know VM have no interest in owning channels/sports rights. Who else is there who A) has enough money and B) has the desire to run channels and own rights?

I've said it before, what VM SHOULD (but won't do) is go into partnership with Filmflex or LoveFilm or ESPN etc etc and jointly bid for films or Premiership footie. Then let another provider show them and at least that way have some leverage against Sky.

They won't, of course. But it will get to a stage when the BBC/ITV/Chnl4 won't or aren't given the money to bid for anything and it will all end going to SKY.
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2012, 09:54   #602
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the Bit View Post
It's a shame we are not getting the F1 channel in HD on Virgin, but I think Sky Sports HD subscribers will surely be able to watch all the qualifying sessions and races in HD on Sky Sports HD1 or HD2.

$ky know that F1 will be something extra to help them ensnare new Freeview/Topup TV customers (usually either people who have either tried subscription tv and didn't like it, or are the section of the market who have not tried paid-for-tv and who Sky would like to see as potential customers), and SS1/2 are the only two channels available there. If they don't show F1 on SS1/2 then that will stop certain people subscribing to Sky Sports at all.

Sky's other big draws are Premier League football and England cricket*, but for the majority of the year only one of these sports is active at once, and I think Sky can flex their muscles enough with both the Premier League and the ECB to ensure they don't all clash.

All of which is worse than having F1 available on BBC1 HD of course.

(*And darts, but I can't see that clashing with F1)
It about time Virgin perscued the missing Sky Sports HD channels

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekb108 View Post
it seems that bernie has sold the soul of f1 out to dry cause theres many people who love this sport but cannot offord it.
He sold F1's soul a very long time ago!

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlot View Post
I'll start by giving BTCC a go, on ITV4 Sunday afternoons. I really enjoyed the day I spent at BTCC at Brands Hatch a few years ago.

http://www.btcc.net/html/tvtimetable.php
Sadly you can't get BTCC in HD either

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Sadly this is what we're going to put up with time after time now that we know VM have no interest in owning channels/sports rights. Who else is there who A) has enough money and B) has the desire to run channels and own rights?

I've said it before, what VM SHOULD (but won't do) is go into partnership with Filmflex or LoveFilm or ESPN etc etc and jointly bid for films or Premiership footie. Then let another provider show them and at least that way have some leverage against Sky.

They won't, of course. But it will get to a stage when the BBC/ITV/Chnl4 won't or aren't given the money to bid for anything and it will all end going to SKY.
What about Apple Inc for they Apple HDTV system?
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:10   #603
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppic View Post
The BBC have already said that the non-live races will not be the full race distance, but will show about 1 hour of racing action, even though Bernie has stated on record that they can show the full distance if they want.

It looks like I'm finished with F1. No point in watching the highlights as BBC's own news broadcasts will blurt out the result before I've had a chance to watch them, and then there would be no point in only watching 10 races. It would be like reading a book and skipping every other chapter.

This deal is the template that Bernie will want to force on all broadcasters across the world from now on - live on pay TV, highlights on free-to-air. Italy, Germany, and everyone else out there in the world - what we've got, you'll soon be getting.
There seems to be conflicting information coming out on the race distance front. The length of the highlights show differs depending on the location of the race IE Europe, Rest Of World. Some of the presenters have used phrases such as "all of the usual race action" etc, it's all a bit in the dark!

---------- Post added at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

Heres some info on the 90 min / 2 hr highlights from the BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/15893254.stm
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 11:05   #604
m8internet
Inactive

m8internet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
As I only want to watch F1, I cannot justify spending £22.50 for 10 live races.
Assuming each race you watch 2.5 hours of TV. For 10 races, that's 25hrs of a year for £270.
Or £10.80 per hour!
That is assuming you already have a TV package
When watching each race last year I tried to watch the practice sessions and always the qualifying and main race
Although for one race there were no practice sessions coverage

I've not yet seen anything to confirm the same will apply

I cancelled my M+ TV package last year (as there is little difference between Freeview and M+)
To reset this it comes in at a total cost of £34.00 per month / £390 for the whole year (this excludes suspending the service for the month when there are no races)

Finally, VM do not make it clear whether the transmission is SD or HD, even though the replacement TV package is HD activated (yes, reading through it does eventually confirm it is SD only)

edit :
I have noticed this on the BBC website
"Online/Red Button :
All live race on-track sessions streamed live on Red Button and on the BBC Sport website"
I read that to mean that all sessions will still be on the Red Button, just not on a specific channel as will occur with their main coverage
Anyone else?

edit :
The BBC have now corrected this error and added the text "for the 10 races"
m8internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 12:39   #605
PeacockAntony
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media: TV L, BB L.
PeacockAntony is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Why do you say 10 live races? Sky are showing all 20 races Live not just 10
Because we already would have access to 10 races live. So you would only be buying the channel for 10 races. Why wouldn't you watch the races on the BBC, they are in HD, with no interruptions from adverts at all (there will be some during practice, in between the qualy sessions and during the pre and post race programming, but none during the race on Sky Sports F1.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Anyone who pays £22.50 extra and chooses to only watch half...... Crazy people! Sky's pre and post race show will be far superior, even Coulthard admitted to that at the Autosport show on Sunday.
Better picture quality, every session uninterrupted, presenters with more experience.... I could go on, but I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
That is assuming you already have a TV package
When watching each race last year I tried to watch the practice sessions and always the qualifying and main race
Although for one race there were no practice sessions coverage

I've not yet seen anything to confirm the same will apply

I cancelled my M+ TV package last year (as there is little difference between Freeview and M+)
To reset this it comes in at a total cost of £34.00 per month / £390 for the whole year (this excludes suspending the service for the month when there are no races)

Finally, VM do not make it clear whether the transmission is SD or HD, even though the replacement TV package is HD activated (yes, reading through it does eventually confirm it is SD only)

edit :
I have noticed this on the BBC website
"Online/Red Button :
All live race on-track sessions streamed live on Red Button and on the BBC Sport website"
I read that to mean that all sessions will still be on the Red Button, just not on a specific channel as will occur with their main coverage
Anyone else?

edit :
The BBC have now corrected this error and added the text "for the 10 races"
The bit in bold did sort of give it away, without them adding that extra text really.
PeacockAntony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 12:42   #606
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Digital Spy: Damon Hill joins Sky's Formula One team.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...-one-team.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 12:53   #607
m8internet
Inactive

m8internet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacockAntony View Post
Because we already would have access to 10 races live. So you would only be buying the channel for 10 races. Why wouldn't you watch the races on the BBC, they are in HD, with no interruptions from adverts at all (there will be some during practice, in between the qualy sessions and during the pre and post race programming, but none during the race on Sky Sports F1.)
Agreed, that was my view as well

Therefore suspend the TV package when not required
16 March to 22 April (2 months)
08 June to 10 June (1 month)
20 July to 29 July (1 month)
07 September to 18 November (3 month)
a total of 6 months, otherwise it is 9 months
I've suspended the TV service when I know I am not going to use it, never had any issues
m8internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:28   #608
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Not watching it again until all cars are the same spec. Totally uneven playing field. It's as pointless as me on a Yamaha 750 with Diablo on his BMX with the stabilisers off.
There are plenty of spec series: GP2, GP3, Formula 2, IndyCar Series, AutoGP, etc. but Formula 1 is about innovation, research and development. Having all the cars spec would defeat the point of Formula 1. Even in those spec series there are teams that consistently win things so it'll never be a level playing field.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:21   #609
Teppic
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (Entertainment Extra); VM Broadband XL; VM Phone M
Teppic is on a distinguished roadTeppic is on a distinguished road

As a side issue, does anyone know if you have to have a BT line in order to use Sky's TV service, or would I be able to keep my Virgin Media line? I am well aware that you need a BT line for their broadband/talk service.

I only ask because if it's possible to keep my VM broadband and phone, and take Sky's TV service then that's a possible route that I would take, as I've worked out that it will cost me around an extra £5 per month to take Entertainment + and the HD pack, as opposed to £22.5 for adding Sky Sports to my VM TV package.
Teppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:49   #610
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppic View Post
As a side issue, does anyone know if you have to have a BT line in order to use Sky's TV service, or would I be able to keep my Virgin Media line? I am well aware that you need a BT line for their broadband/talk service.

I only ask because if it's possible to keep my VM broadband and phone, and take Sky's TV service then that's a possible route that I would take, as I've worked out that it will cost me around an extra £5 per month to take Entertainment + and the HD pack, as opposed to £22.5 for adding Sky Sports to my VM TV package.
Yes you can plug a Sky+HD box into a VM phone line I did it until switching my phone to Sky.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 20:23   #611
Teppic
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (Entertainment Extra); VM Broadband XL; VM Phone M
Teppic is on a distinguished roadTeppic is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes you can plug a Sky+HD box into a VM phone line I did it until switching my phone to Sky.
Thanks.
Teppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 20:25   #612
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

You can Guess that the car at the back of the pack is going to be a Virgin
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 16:13   #613
whoareyou
Inactive

Services: V+. Tivo (soon). BB XL.
whoareyou is on a distinguished roadwhoareyou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
You can Guess that the car at the back of the pack is going to be a Virgin
whoareyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 16:20   #614
Jameseh

They probably paid Marussia off so that the commentators didn't have to say Virgin on Sky Sports. Just like I noticed the commentators didn't seem to make small talk about Newcastle's new Virgin Money sponsor when they were playing on Sky.
Old 18-01-2012, 16:35   #615
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
They probably paid Marussia off so that the commentators didn't have to say Virgin on Sky Sports. Just like I noticed the commentators didn't seem to make small talk about Newcastle's new Virgin Money sponsor when they were playing on Sky.
Funny that could have swore the Branson advert was shown two or three times on Sky One HD
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote