Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 15:26   #301
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road
Re: The Apple iPad Thread

ordered mine from the apple store,arrives 7th May,(damm im going fishing that day!) along with the smart cover,SIL will set it all up for me (I hope) live near Bluewater in Kent where they have a Apple so any problems will be up there
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2011, 15:46   #302
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Just installed Flipbook (news aggregator) - v. good.

Also subscribed to Times and Sunday Times online and iPad versions - bargain at £1 for the first 30 days, and then £2 per week*, and the iPad version downloads the daily version, so readable while travelling.

*I already get the Times in the paper version, so saves buying/carrying it around.
I've seen Flipbook. Not really given it a proper try though.

Do you get a deal on The Times online/app version due to subscribing to the print version, of did you have to take out a separate subscription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodash View Post
ordered mine from the apple store,arrives 7th May,(damm im going fishing that day!) along with the smart cover,SIL will set it all up for me (I hope) live near Bluewater in Kent where they have a Apple so any problems will be up there
Nice Which model did you go for?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a blue polyurethane Smart Cover for my iPad 2. I had originally wanted to get a shell folio case, but the one I wanted still hasn't been released, and as my iPad came a couple of weeks early I ended up just buying a Smart Cover so I had *something* for when it arrived.

It's good, but definitely a case of style over function. There is (obviously) no protection for the rear of the device (unfortunate given how easy it seems to be to mark it).

I looked around for shell cases purely for the rear, which also work with the Smart Cover... eventually settled on the Cool Bananas "SmartShell", so now my iPad 2 has full protection on both sides.

I also bought a Belkin neoprene sleeve from Amazon for around a tenner, to keep it in when out of the house. It was designed for the iPad 1, but still easily takes the iPad 2 + Smart Cover + SmartShell as the iPad 2 is just that bit slimmer. Quite a handy sleeve, with padding and a front pocket.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 21:42   #303
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Re the Times.

I subscribed online through the Times site (cheaper than going through iTunes), and the sub is only for the electronic and iPad versions, not the hard copy.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 13:16   #304
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Ta for the info
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31   #305
mfalaura
Permanently Banned

mfalaura is an unknown quantity at this point

Smart Cover is a really good protection for Ipad ?
mfalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 18:35   #306
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Jailbreakme.com version 3 has been released, and is capable of Jailbreaking any iDevice running iOS 4.3.3 (including the iPad 2) simply by visiting it using the iDevice's Safari browser.

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/jail...l-ios-devices/

http://www.jailbreakme.com/
Old 06-07-2011, 19:01   #307
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Jailbreakme.com version 3 has been released, and is capable of Jailbreaking any iDevice running iOS 4.3.3 (including the iPad 2) simply by visiting it using the iDevice's Safari browser.

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/jail...l-ios-devices/

http://www.jailbreakme.com/
Excellent

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 19:27   #308
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Apple iPad 3?

Hey guys, i have seen on several sites that Apple will release an iPad 3, but wanted your opinions, as this is whats holding me back from buying one. if there is going to be one released, I will wait until then, if not then I will go ahead and buy the iPad 2
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 19:32   #309
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Apple iPad 3?

There will be at some point. The rumour says it will be released in September, but Apple don't tend to vary their release timetable much, and the two previous ipads have been released in March/April and they are released once a year, so March/April 2012 is my bet..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 19:35   #310
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

They will release one, but I can't see them doing it this year, with iPad 2 only having been out a few months (4 months or so, IIRC).

If you have decided you want/need an iPad, go and get one. And unless you really need the features of the iPad 2, consider picking up an iPad 1 from a reputable seller on eBay. There are some great deals to be had. We got a 64gb 3G iPad 1 for £360 inc. delivery and while it was sold as 2nd hand it was in its original box. Both box and iPad were absolutely mint.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 19:38   #311
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

hmmm ok then, I might wait until September to see what happens, if nothing, then I will buy an iPad 2
Old 31-07-2011, 19:40   #312
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
hmmm ok then, I might wait until September to see what happens, if nothing, then I will buy an iPad 2
Why do you need an iPad?
Old 31-07-2011, 19:52   #313
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Because when I go away with my friends, it'll save me dragging my laptop around
Old 31-07-2011, 20:00   #314
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Why do you need an iPad?
That's a very good question ... We didn't think we would have a use for one until we borrowed one for a couple of weeks and found it greatly assisted us in managing bookings for our B&B. We bought our own after that and took almost £400 revenue while away from home on our family summer holidays, due to being able to respond quickly to enquiries from our web form.

Trying to do the same on any smartphone would have been a real faff, especially when trying to issue electronic invoices from our Paypal account (and I have tried, with an iphone). We could of course have done it with a laptop, but the iPad is far easier to slip into a bag and then use whilst sipping coffee at the seaside cafe of your choice and doesn't make it feel like you just took the office away on holiday with you. Oh, and there are some great rainy day apps for the kids ... Ours lap up everything they can get from Toca Boca.

The thing with tablets in general is, they are a new technology and it's not apparent what all the uses for them might be. But when you get one, you find out how it might fit for you.

Also this morning I did some last minute sermon planning with mine, looked up a web page I wanted to read from and found a photo I was able to hold up as a visual aid. Then I switched to my Bible reader app and read from a new Bible translation I like very much but don't own a paper copy of.

Anyway, I don't know why Wayne wants one, but that's why I'm very glad I have one.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 20:03   #315
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I get all the sermons / church stuff / presentations emailed to me the night before on my iPad so I can take it with me and follow what's happening as it's easier than me trying to get everything they do in large print.

When they have a presentation they email the powerpoint they put up on their big screen for me

edit - then of course there's the problem that thus far android just don't do a decent screen reader / zoom software. They are of course getting there but it's no good to me yet
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote