Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 16:13   #166
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Apple iPad Thread

iPad 2 is expected to be announced soon, & available within a few months (going by Apple's track record & its love of annual product cycles).

Quick re-cap of some of the competition's specs in 2011:

[Released Sep. 2010] Samsung Galaxy Tab - Android 2.2 (Froyo), 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX 540 GPU*, 512MB RAM, front & rear cameras, 7" screen.

[Upcoming] BlackBerry PlayBook - BlackBerry Tablet OS, 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core CPU, 1GB RAM, front & rear cameras, 7" screen.

[Upcoming] Motorolla Xoom - Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 [ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core CPU plus GeForce ULP GPU*], 1GB RAM, front & rear cameras, 10.1" screen.

While the current iPad has: 1GHz Apple A4 [ARM Cortex-A8 CPU plus PowerVR SGX 535 GPU*], 256MB RAM, 9.7" screen

*[GeForce ULP used in the Xoom > SGX540 used in the Galaxy Tab > SGX535 used in the iPad & iPhone 4]

Most rumours agree on a slimmer design for the iPad 2, along with front & rear cameras.

More RAM for the iPad 2 is surely a given. 256MB RAM really is quite low now, against last year's Galaxy Tab (512MB) & definitely against this year's newcomers (e.g. 1GB in the PlayBook & the Xoom).

Also, when you look at the competition, it would make sense for the iPad 2 to also have a better CPU & maybe also GPU. The current 1GHz Cortex-A8 plus an SGX535 is already a slightly lower spec. than the Galaxy Tab has (1GHz Cortex-A8 plus an SGX540), & definitely lower than the PlayBook (1GHz dual-core Cortex-A9) and Xoom (1GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 plus a GeForce ULP).

Some iPad 2 rumours so far...

Digg's Kevin Rose - iPad 2 to be announced by early Feb, higher resolution, front & rear cameras

Reuters - higher resolution, front & rear cameras, slimmer & lighter

iOnApple - smaller bezel, wide range speaker, flat back

Analyst Ashok Kumar via CNET - 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core CPU for the iPad2
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2011, 16:41   #167
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

I can't wait for the new version to be released then the older models will probably be a bit cheaper and i will get one. I always stay one or two steps behind the latest spec as it is more affordable and still good enough.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:53   #168
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

VLC media player app pulled from Apple App Store

http://www.t3.com/news/vlc-media-pla...p-store?=52283
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 23:36   #169
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Are there any reccomendations for some good (free - or cheap) iPad software / games?
Splashtop and Air Video are probably my two most used non-native apps on the iPad. Splashtop is simlar to VNC only it's very fast and also streams audio allowing you to watch and play flash games and video as well as any other PC applications on a networked PC almost seamlessly. My two favorite games other than AB are Risk and Reckless Racing.

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 19:29   #170
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Stuart has already mentioned this in the iPhone thread, but it's also of relevance here.

Apple has released an iOS4.3 beta to developers, which adds some nice new features, and also contains references within it to what can only be new iPads & iPhones.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/i...medium=twitter

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/01/13/apple_ios_4_3/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/i...-support-to-a/

http://gizmodo.com/5732058/apple-fin...de-switch-does

http://gizmodo.com/5732010

The switch previously used for orientation lock, which Apple then changed to be a mute switch (much to many people's dismay) can now be used as either: The settings in iOS4.3 contain an option to select whether the switch locks the orientation or mutes.

iOS4.3 also adds "Multitasking Gestures" to the iPad. These let you use four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen, swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar, and swipe left or right between apps.
Old 15-01-2011, 14:27   #171
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

More rumours on the iPad 2 (& also iPhone 5):

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/14/e...-apple-tv-and/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget
Just before the Verizon iPhone 4 launch, we'd heard from multiple sources -- sources like the ones which gave us all that extremely accurate Apple TV info last time around -- that the iPad 2 isn't nearly as close to launch as some have speculated. Apparently, those case and hardware mockups we've seen are rather early versions, which means we're still months out from a proper introduction. It seems likely that the device will land around April (perfectly timed with the 12-month product cycle Apple enjoys). And what about that device? From what we've been told, the thinner, sleeker tablet will sport a new screen technology that is akin to (though not the same as) the iPhone 4's Retina Display and will be "super high resolution" (unlike reports to the contrary). The device will remain at 10 inches but will now feature both front and rear cameras (not a huge surprise), and... there's an SD slot. That's right -- our sources say with near certainty that the device will have a dedicated SD slot built in (with no traditional USB slot). In fact, see that weird notch in the photo below? That's where the SD part will be located. What's most interesting, however, is what's happening under the hood.

The new iPad will feature a dual GSM / CDMA chipset produced by Qualcomm and will mark Apple's shift away from Infineon as its chipset maker to Qualcomm for all of its mobile devices. It's not clear if the chipset being used will be based on the company's EV-DO / HSPA Gobi variety or an entirely new design. Presumably, the strength of the new dual-mode chipset is that it will allow both Verizon and AT&T to offer the iPad simultaneously.

But all of these moves are leading up to the iPhone 5 -- a completely redesigned handset -- which our sources say is on track for a summer launch. Right now, the device is being tested discreetly by senior staff at Apple (strictly on campus only). We don't have much info on the phone at this point, but our understanding is that the new device will be a total rethink from a design standpoint and will be running atop Apple's new A5 CPU (a Cortex A9-based, multi-core chip). This device, like the iPad 2, will feature a Qualcomm chipset that does triple duty as the CDMA / GSM / UMTS baseband processor -- from what we hear there's no LTE in the mix at this point.

One other interesting tidbit: Apple is at work on the second generation of its redesigned Apple TV, which will include that new A5 processor. The CPU is said to be blazingly fast, cranking out 1080p video "like running water." It's likely that the A5 will make it into the iPad 2 as well, but we have yet to confirm that.
Old 18-01-2011, 22:37   #172
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

CrunchGear - iPad 2 Rumor Roundup
Old 30-01-2011, 15:28   #173
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I have just played the same video repetedly to test the battery (the stone tape) and it played for 16 hours before it finally died. Not bad at all.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 14:42   #174
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

MMMmmm a proper iplayer app for the iPad.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2011/02/0...out-this-week/

I was hoping I could use my 3g connection while I was out and about to play stuff from it, eems not
Old 08-02-2011, 22:51   #175
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Jailbreak it then!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:48   #176
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Jailbreak it then!
It looks a bit complicated if the iPad is on 4.2. I do miss sbsettings though.

I'm not sure if jailbreaking will let me use the iplayer app on 3G.

Still I may try it if I get too bored
Old 09-02-2011, 08:50   #177
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I wonder what the rationale is behind disallowing downloads/streams over 3G. Lack of bandwidth perhaps? Do the Beeb think they'll get complaints even though that's out of their control?

I do like the idea of a subscription model for iPlayer in overseas territories though. The more content BBC Worldwide can sell, the more money comes back into the UK for programme making.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:56   #178
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Bandwidth has been mentioned, they say you won't be able to stream fast enough to watch using 3G. Which is crap as half the time the Internet is better on my iPad than my home connection and I can do iplayer hd on that fine.

I guess I'm irritated ad surely it's my 3G bill to waste so if I want to eat it up watching a program then why not.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:24   #179
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I don't think it's the consumer they are thinking of, more that the networks will block mobile access to the BBC if they think their customers are using too much bandwidth to connect to the BBC.

Of course, that is speculation on my part.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17   #180
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
MMMmmm a proper iplayer app for the iPad.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2011/02/0...out-this-week/

I was hoping I could use my 3g connection while I was out and about to play stuff from it, eems not
Jailbreakng 4.2 untethered is very straightforward now : http://www.geohot.us/2011/02/greenpo...wnload-to.html

Once jailbroken, search for 3G unrestrictor in Cydia, it's not free .

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote