Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 17:16   #136
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
re: The Apple iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulky View Post
I will be getting the wireless version as at present i just can't warrant being tied into another mobile contract and paying a monthly fee , can't see myself using the ipad away from a wifi connection anyway to be honest .

Should i ever see the need for it though i would get one of these , http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/bro...=consumerdeals

also saves a little money.
You can opt for a PayG micro-sim so no need to be tied to any contract. I just find it disappointing that 3G capabilty isn't included as a standard feature. It just smacks of apple over complicating the product line-up to extract the maximum amount of cash from Joe Public.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2010, 18:16   #137
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I agree , just need to make sure it can't be tied to the holiday , i have a retired customs officer in the family , the amount of people that used to travel back from America with brand new golf clubs saying they had taken them out with them from the uk only to have the reciept found in their wallet .

Back on topic , i believe the ipad plays video at 720p , i have aquired 'Avatar' in 720p in mkv format , how would i go about putting this on when i get my ipad? i have tried to import it to itunes but the options seem to be limited for video now ??

Itunes has never (in my experience) allowed MKV files..

You need to re-encode it using something like handbrake or Mediacoder.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 22:25   #138
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

First time I saw the IPad, it reminded me of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4n0p7Z4jA
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:50   #139
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Back on topic , i believe the ipad plays video at 720p , i have aquired 'Avatar' in 720p in mkv format , how would i go about putting this on when i get my ipad? i have tried to import it to itunes but the options seem to be limited for video now ??
A friend of mine uses Air Video to stream from his main pc and NAS to his iPad, including 'MKV's
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 00:48   #140
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Meh. I think wifey wants one for her birthday as it would make a nice light weight book reader for vacations. Which is fine, but why oh why do Apple insist on stinging people with such atrocious prices for memory? The Wifi model @16 gig is £429 rising to £599 for 64 gig? WTF? £170 for an additional 46 Gig?

Ebuyer are doing a 64 gig Corsair usb stick for £70. I'm guessing nobody at Apple considered putting in a card slot. And we all know why. Thieving gits
Old 20-09-2010, 20:06   #141
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Apple iPad Thread

Apparently Apple has approved VLC media player for the iPad, opening it up to playback of more than just .mp4...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 14:21   #142
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Yip the app is available in the app store.

Now I have more reason to save for an iPad
Old 21-09-2010, 17:35   #143
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yip the app is available in the app store.

Now I have more reason to save for an iPad
Is it just for the pad or does it cover touch/phone? And whats the cost?
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 17:43   #144
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It's free and apparently only available on the iPad.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 18:05   #145
vaishali1997
Permanently Banned

Services: sky +, 10mb bb, unknown phoneline
vaishali1997 is on a distinguished roadvaishali1997 is on a distinguished road

When's the new itouch gonna get released ? My dad said he's get me one... I have no knowledge sorry... does it come with an adapter? I'd also like to ask that you know there are ways to download jailbreaks from the internet...are those the ways you reall do it or are they just scams? Don't worry guys; I wouldn't get a virus from doing that cuz I have an anti virus on my laptop; I get rid of viruses before I transfer...

Advice, no insults please...Thanks in advance... :P

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

what's better - ipad or itouch...?

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

And what's the difference between ipad and itouch features? Thanks in advance
vaishali1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 18:08   #146
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaishali1997 View Post
When's the new itouch gonna get released ? My dad said he's get me one... I have no knowledge sorry... does it come with an adapter? I'd also like to ask that you know there are ways to download jailbreaks from the internet...are those the ways you reall do it or are they just scams? Don't worry guys; I wouldn't get a virus from doing that cuz I have an anti virus on my laptop; I get rid of viruses before I transfer...

Advice, no insults please...Thanks in advance... :P

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------
As of this moment there is no jailbreak released for the latest firmware. When there is it will be free.

Quote:
what's better - ipad or itouch...?
Depends what you want to do with it, if you want to run full screen apps which contain text or video - ipad. If you want to carry it around in your pocket to listen to music etc, ipod touch.

Quote:
---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

And what's the difference between ipad and itouch features? Thanks in advance
iPad is an ipod touch on steroids (wifi model) or an iphone you can't make calls on (3g model)
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 18:12   #147
vaishali1997
Permanently Banned

Services: sky +, 10mb bb, unknown phoneline
vaishali1997 is on a distinguished roadvaishali1997 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
As of this moment there is no jailbreak released for the latest firmware. When there is it will be free.

Depends what you want to do with it, if you want to run full screen apps which contain text or video - ipad. If you want to carry it around in your pocket to listen to music etc, ipod touch.

iPad is an ipod touch on steroids (wifi model) or an iphone you can't make calls on (3g model)
oritey thank you ))
vaishali1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 18:35   #148
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's free and apparently only available on the iPad.
Good about the price but shame its not out for the touch. Could never and would never buy an iPad, way too expensive and way too restrictive. iPod touch is much better value for money for me though the screen is smaller.

Though I have to say looking at current prices Im not so sure about the touch either.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 18:45   #149
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaishali1997 View Post
When's the new itouch gonna get released ?
It's out now http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...1)&utm_content=
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 16:15   #150
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
Bulky has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Apparently Apple has approved VLC media player for the iPad, opening it up to playback of more than just .mp4...
but unfortunately not up to playing .mkv files , gutted ....