Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Synology NAS choosing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Synology NAS choosing

Old 04-05-2013, 14:51   #1
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Synology NAS choosing

Does anyone here have a Synology NAS? Many of the discussions I have already seen say to go for the Synology over the Qnap and I do like the look of the software so have settled on getting a Synology.

The DS213+ did look like the best one to get for its cost and performance but as it is based on PPC architecture, PLEX does not run on it. Love the look of Plex but the higher end models that run it are way too expensive. The lower models that do support it, I am worried about them not being powerful enough to download and stream at the same time.

My tv and media player play most formats anyway so the only transcoding that should need to happen is for subtitled media.

The DS212j is the other 2 bay which is much cheaper than the DS213+ but im guessing its less future proof.

2 bays (or more) and no more than £250 that can easily torrent and stream video at the same time as well as running a web server and remote internet streaming/cloud backup at the same time without struggling is basically what I am looking for. Still not sure about the plex thing and possibly using serviio instead.

Anyone got any input?
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40   #2
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one
Re: Synology NAS choosing

I use the DS212j and it works really well, low power consumption etc. downside is performance especially on the NIC as even though this is connected to my 1gb network on lan transfer speeds are circa 20mb/s.

But if you can live with that then great device out of the box and really easy to setup. Personally though I am moving onto a HP N40 Server with a "XPENOLOGY" client but considering others too as would like to use the server to host virtual guests such as Windows (shudders), and Linux etc.
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:27   #3
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

The DS212j was the first one I was looking at and intending to get but figured the other models might be a bit more future proof.

Cheers for the info on the network speed, 20mb/s should be enough for my needs. Waiting for a new fibre install and tempted to upgrade to the 80/20 option which could give me around 9mb/s tops. Streaming DTS bluray across the network should only be up to 1.5mb/s if I remember correctly.

How quiet is the DS212j and does it run the latest DSM?

That Xpenology looks nice. I was using a pc originally as a media server but wanted something smaller, lower power consumption and quieter so I could retire the old noisy pc. What would you use the VM's on the NAS for?

The HP N40 NAS is on sale on amazon at the moment, only £199.00!

Thanks again for any info

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Just remembered the DS212j is usb 2. Not sure how much I would use it tbh but that nagging voice keeps saying a new one should have usb 3.

Just terrible at making decisions :P
Old 06-05-2013, 15:51   #4
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

If the 212j is quiet, tempted to get that and a couple of 3 or 4TB disks and a seperate box, possibly android based, and run xbmc on it.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:17   #5
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Qtx, I know you have settled on the Synology, but I would agree with the slower network performance on the Qnap as well. I have the Qnap TS-412 and noticed a big difference between it and the HP Server it replaced.
However the difference in my electricity bill has outweighed the speed difference
I'm happy with my NAS and especially like the Amazon S3 client for cloud backups.
Cheers.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:11   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Cheers for the info. Had a lot going on the last few days but hope to get the chance to have one last butchers at all the specs at the weekend and then make a decision.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:21   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I'm looking to finally set up a NAS as well as have removed my desktop comp and now soely on laptops and tablets in the house so need a central storage.

Am thinking Synology as well. Am I best with a 1 or 2 bay device?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:53   #8
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Depends on how you plan to use it I suppose. If you wanted too keep a film collection on there and they are high quality, then you run out of space and no way to upgrade ecxept via uab.

2 bays mean you upgrade later or raid with 2 drives. Have a 2tb drivs to put in te synolgy which is already half full, so thinking of getting a 3 or 4gb disk as the second.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:38   #9
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Coincidently I had an email last night from Dabs.

http://www.dabs.com/learn-more/compo...m_content=i800

I don't know how the Netgear ones compare.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:39   #10
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm looking to finally set up a NAS as well as have removed my desktop comp and now soely on laptops and tablets in the house so need a central storage.

Am thinking Synology as well. Am I best with a 1 or 2 bay device?
My advice would be buy the biggest disk capacity you can afford. You don't have to fill it all up at once.
I have a 4 bay and only use 3 drives at present.
I'm mirroring 2 drives for 'precious' stuff (which is backed up to the Cloud as well) and a single disk for other stuff, which I can mirror in due course, finances permitting
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 12:19   #11
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Just to update this thread, I went for the Synology DS213J in the end.

Powerful enough to do what I need (FPU too) and decided I can live with two bays for my needs. Only cost £175 too so may get one of the new a9 cortex mali400 based android box to run xbmc on once the hardware acceleration gets ironed out.