Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Very High Latency (Hayes)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Very High Latency (Hayes)

Old 21-12-2012, 22:06   #16
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Very High Latency (Hayes)

Call retentions
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2012, 22:25   #17
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablotf View Post
Any way to escalate this because this takes the ****? Not prepared to wait two months for someone to come resolve an high upstream power issue.
Unplug the shub from the power.

Call faults on 151

Tell them that you have no lights on your shub and that it seemed to make a noise before the lights went out.

Follow their script, but DO NOT connect the power to the shub while on the phone to them.

Get a tech booked for total loss of service.

The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 22:34   #18
Diablotf
Inactive

Diablotf is on a distinguished roadDiablotf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Call retentions
Looks like I'll have to. I placed an order a few days ago for Plusnet Fibre which will be installed early January so there is a backup plan in the works.

Ideally would have liked to have had both at the same time but if push comes to shove will drop VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
Unplug the shub from the power.

Call faults on 151

Tell them that you have no lights on your shub and that it seemed to make a noise before the lights went out.

Follow their script, but DO NOT connect the power to the shub while on the phone to them.

Get a tech booked for total loss of service.

Haha love it Might just have to do this.
Diablotf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 03:57   #19
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Took 5 months of removing fix dates before they told me it would be another 5 months to completely fix, so I left them. With you being close to Croydon I think you have 2 or 3 separate issues there that need resolving and they won't be quick.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 16:59   #20
Diablotf
Inactive

Just a follow up. I gave customer services a call again and this time got through to the UK support area. This time the service could not have been more different. They immediately recognised this wasn't a high utilisation issue and sent out an engineer the following day.

The Engineer adjusted the power levels down a bit, replaced a couple of components in the house and told me a car had hit green cabinet which I was connected to.

No packet loss over the last 24 hours. Latency is slightly better but not great.
Old 26-12-2012, 14:52   #21
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Glad you eventually got some help from VM, no thanks to the outsourced support as usual.

Lets hope you get better service from Plusnet who claim their support is based in Yorkshire,

Only time will tell, however it is unlikely Plusnet BB and support will be any worse than VM's so everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 21:50   #22
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

It's a real shame that VM put so many UK support people out of work. I know there are loads of great IT support experts in India but VM are not hiring them it seems. VM need to have a serious look at their service level agreement because they should be able to lay a good number of penalty charges at the door of their current Indian office going by the reports on this forum.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 22:53   #23
Diablotf
Inactive

Latency is crap once more. Check out the graph on the first page. Would this now be over utilisation or something else ?

The engineer that came around said under 55dBmV for upstream is fine....

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power SNR Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
Locked 49 267000000 Hz QAM256 13.7 dBmV 43.2 dB 28021 15
Locked 51 283000000 Hz QAM256 13.4 dBmV 42.8 dB 33542 15
Locked 52 291000000 Hz QAM256 12.6 dBmV 42.0 dB 57381 0
Locked 53 299000000 Hz QAM256 14.6 dBmV 43.2 dB 29012 0
Locked 54 307000000 Hz QAM256 14.9 dBmV 43.0 dB 24099 0
Locked 55 315000000 Hz QAM256 14.8 dBmV 42.5 dB 36451 0
Locked 56 323000000 Hz QAM256 13.8 dBmV 41.4 dB 194795 0
Unlocked Unknown 0 Hz Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
Locked 7 45800000 Hz ATDMA 54.8 dBmV 16QAM 6400000 20480 Kbits/sec
Unlocked 0 0 Hz Unknown 0.0 dBmV Unknown Unknown 0 Kbits/sec
Old 27-12-2012, 23:24   #24
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Irrespective of the possibility of congestion, we have to resolve the power levels.

On the UPSTREAM, it shouldn't require 55 dBmv to push through to the first active node - especially when your downstream power is so high. So something is very wrong with this imbalance. You should check the upstream again by refreshing it and seing if it tips over 55 dBmv. The SH is incapable of pushing out more than 58 dBmv and 55 dBmv is the increment setp before that. Basically there is no upstream headroom.

The DOWNSTREAM at c. 14 dBmv is too high IMO. My SH craps out at > 7dBmv as do many others.

So your power levels need to be bright under control. There is no tap point scenario at the street cabinet that would provide this power mismatch. The upstream issue could be anywhere; at the cabinet amplifier; at the optical node. If it's at either of those locations, then others in your street will have similar problems.

Once the upstream is fixed, that cause of high latency will have been removed and we can consider the question of congestion at your local node in Hayes.

HTH.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 00:40   #25
Diablotf
Inactive

Thanks. Will give them a call in the day tomorrow so I get through to the UK again.

The thing I figure with over utilisation is that the latency should cycle over the course of a day. This isn't. Let's hope the power levels sort things out.
Old 28-12-2012, 14:21   #26
Diablotf
Inactive

Spoke to someone at UK Tech support. He said my upstream was fine, downstream was high and he would check for faults in the area. He then immediately started to quote the 'High Utilization' issue....

I kept insisting it's not because of that because :

a) The latency never improves at any point throughout the day.
b) If I reset my superhub the latency returns to normal for about half a day.

So I pinged bbc.co.uk for two minutes and told him the average which was around 86ms at 2pm. Then reset the superhub another 2 minute test and it's down to 21ms. He couldn't explain it... so put me on hold whilst he discussed it with his colleague and came back with "I am afraid it's a high utilisation issue, I've just checked with my colleagues."

WTF... makes me want to rage. I just did a test there and then with him on the phone and he still refused to believe anything different. Spent the next 10 minutes asking him why my latency drops after resetting my modem if it was an area wide high utiliasation issue. Of course he couldn't answer. In the end he agreed to send me another superhub.

The area fault for high utilisation has an estimated fix date of 6th Feb -_- . Let's hope the superhub replacement does the trick. Oh and he refused to do anything about the downstream powerlevels until the area fault was fixed.

Just ordered my Makitrok Router for load balancing and failover. Can't wait for Plusnet.
Old 28-12-2012, 14:24   #27
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

make a thread posting everything here > http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...nt/bd-p/100_mb
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 14:25   #28
Diablotf
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
make a thread posting everything here > http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...nt/bd-p/100_mb
Will do. You can see my latency graph now on the first page of this thread. After resetting the router everything is back to normal.
Old 28-12-2012, 14:26   #29
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

could you post your connection stats for downstream and upstream again
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 14:33   #30
Diablotf
Inactive

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power SNR Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
Locked 49 267000000 Hz QAM256 14.2 dBmV 43.2 dB 533 0
Locked 51 283000000 Hz QAM256 13.9 dBmV 43.2 dB 484 0
Locked 52 291000000 Hz QAM256 13.1 dBmV 42.0 dB 575 0
Locked 53 299000000 Hz QAM256 15.0 dBmV 42.9 dB 597 0
Locked 54 307000000 Hz QAM256 15.4 dBmV 43.2 dB 625 2
Locked 55 315000000 Hz QAM256 15.3 dBmV 43.2 dB 632 0
Locked 56 323000000 Hz QAM256 14.2 dBmV 42.1 dB 675 0
Unlocked Unknown 0 Hz Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
Locked 7 45800000 Hz ATDMA 54.5 dBmV 16QAM 6400000 20480 Kbits/sec