Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Very High Latency (Hayes)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Freesat and virgin cable tv

Old 27-12-2012, 17:35   #1
soul.drummer
Inactive

soul.drummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Freesat and virgin cable tv

I have just moved into a flat where the previous owner had virgin cable internet, TV & telephone. I've signed up for virgin internet but don't want the TV and telephone package. If I buy a TV with Freesat can I receive TV through the cable without signing up for Virgin? If not is there a set top box available to do this? Many thanks.
soul.drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2012, 17:53   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Freesat and virgin cable tv

no. have you checked your flat for a communal link to an aerial or Sky dish?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 17:53   #3
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul.drummer View Post
I have just moved into a flat where the previous owner had virgin cable internet, TV & telephone. I've signed up for virgin internet but don't want the TV and telephone package. If I buy a TV with Freesat can I receive TV through the cable without signing up for Virgin? If not is there a set top box available to do this? Many thanks.
Hi and welcome to CF.

The answer is a simple 'No' I'm afraid...
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35   #4
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Virgin is a closed system, so is subscription only (no free channels). As mentioned above, you may have a communal system you can plug into with a Freesat receiver, & these are normally free to use. They normally have a connector plate like this in the lounge (the return feeds additional sockets in other rooms).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proOUT35RT.jpg (6.6 KB, 16 views)
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57   #5
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Do Virgin not still provide the free package? It's what i have with them, when i phoned to cancel the TV a year or two ago they stuck me on a free M package and told me to keep the box to receive the freeview channels.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35   #6
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Do Virgin not still provide the free package? It's what i have with them, when i phoned to cancel the TV a year or two ago they stuck me on a free M package and told me to keep the box to receive the freeview channels.
The OP does not want TV or phone from Virgin Media, just broadband.

TV M is still available but he would certainly have to take the phoneline to get the 'free' TV M.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:24   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

The "Classic" collection is the only way for a new customer to get TV "M" now, & as already stated it requires the customer to take all three Virgin services.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:03   #8
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

TV M is not free any more.
You have to pay for it on VM.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39   #9
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiamond View Post
TV M is not free any more.
You have to pay for it on VM.
That's debateable.

I can make a case that says TV M is actually a negative cost.

Compare BB 30Mb plus phoneline with the Classic Collection.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
If you plug a TV with FreeSAT into a service that delivers CABLE telly, you won't get anything. The clue is in the name ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote