Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | assistance required please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

assistance required please

Old 20-02-2011, 15:58   #16
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society
Re: assistance required please

nope!! looks like a re-install is my only hope (after obi-wan of course!)
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2011, 17:57   #17
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB
Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack

Just check the properties on each adapter and see if something has installed itself in there. I had a bad uninstall of Comodo Firewall and it left the 'Comodo Internet Security Firewall Driver' still active and wouldn't let me ping out or browse until I looked in the adapter properties for my LAN connection and uninstalled it.
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 19:46   #18
soup dragon
Inactive

soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

just uninstalled both adapters and reinstalled upto date drivers - grrrr what can it be???
Old 20-02-2011, 21:41   #19
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack

Import IE's Proxy Settings:

netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie

That could clear any bad proxy settings, should be Direct access if you know you are not going through a proxy server, XP was easier as you only typed 'proxycfg -u'.

Looks like a data backup from the laptop and a reinstall really!
Old 20-02-2011, 21:47   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Bah, I can't think of much else, except maybe virus or some other security software gone bad.

Does anything other than web browsing work (e.g. messenger, email, skype, etc.)? What happens if you try to telnet webcache.virginmedia.com 8080
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 22:32   #21
alexandali
Inactive

Services: Virgin Medium broadband and TV with a discount
alexandali is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you looked at the hosts file? - I saw an infected PC where after malwarebytes had removed various infections, the hosts file was still full of junk which prevented browsers from working. Of course, a reformat and re-install will clear it as well - and maybe a good thing anway.
Alex
alexandali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 04:41   #22
soup dragon
Inactive

thanks again for all your help guys, i have 2 12 hr shifts now so will revisit on wednesday. i will suggest a re-install.
Old 21-02-2011, 15:48   #23
Web-Junkie
Inactive

The problem could be it's 'Vista'

Did you uninstall ZoneAlarm? Check in taskmanager 'vsmon.exe' is not running, if so kill it and delete it from 'C:\Windows\System32\Zonelab', I think it lives there or search for it!!

Try resetting all the browsers to their default settings, may be a security setting?

Check there are not 2 firewalls/antivirus running? I've had laptops that have AVG/Avast/MSSE all running together!!!

Did it have McAfee on? Most laptops I see have it pre-installed, if so go to McAfee and download their removal tool and run it:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Can you log onto another account on the laptop and see if that works, or create a new admin user and log on as that and see if it works! If so their profile is knackered! You could then try the 'Windows Easy Transfer' wizard to backup the account data and copy it to the new account and see if that works also.

Having to do 2 x 12hrs is not ideal when dealing with problems, I've a mate who does 4 x 12hrs and 4 off regular.

Only recourse if all else fails is backup/re-install!
Old 22-02-2011, 11:45   #24
rounz
Inactive

rounz is an unknown quantity at this point

that sony mobile phone someone has tried to connect usb-to-ethernet listed multiple times in the log is my guess as to the cause,

as for the solution, the route tables are a mess, correct those first off and then if that dosent get you anywhere try a livecd (something like slitaz cooking is ideal, small and fast) and see what that connects like, wildly guessing software faults isnt best way diagnose the problem as the route tables control all apps, id say the sony phones been plugged in and out a few times as lan connection had a number of 22 :P

good luck
rounz is offline   Reply With Quote